1 2
Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/15/19 8:39 a.m.

In reply to Jumper K Balls (Trent) :

Oh yeah...  it sure does make you wish you could delete your browser history at times. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/15/19 12:56 p.m.

This just in:   Jumper K Balls (Trent) has a thing for early-oughts platform goth boots!

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
4/15/19 2:10 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

This just in:   Jumper K Balls (Trent) has a thing for early-oughts platform goth boots!

Who doesn't?

laugh

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
4/15/19 3:30 p.m.
Jumper K Balls (Trent) said:

In reply to Ian F :

I click and see an ad for some early oughts style platform goth boots and back out of the ad.

you're not fooling anyone here with that story devil

Jumper K Balls (Trent)
Jumper K Balls (Trent) PowerDork
4/15/19 4:26 p.m.

I'm gonna have to change my avatar to this aren't I?

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
4/15/19 5:54 p.m.

^^ now that you looked up that image on Google to post here, Google will inundate you with ads for them forever, now.

I'm totally fine with those boots, as long as it's not you wearing them!

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
6/26/19 9:45 p.m.

So might as well add to the stories.

Today was browsing around Marketplace (and CL as well) on a whim to see if anyone was selling a used tune/chip for my old M50 BMW engine. On FB I find a listing for a $20 chip with no markings on it other than "BMW Tuning Chip." So, I message the guy to see if he knows what tune is on it. 

As with ALL FBM inquiries, I go check the seller's profile jsut to make sure he looks like a legitimate person and not some obvious scam account, and on there I notice he is "mutual friends" with Josh S. (bluej on here) and has an old Camaro SS as his profile pic.

So i shoot him a message asking what the tune is, and if he's friends with Josh. He replies back it's some old chip from like 15 years ago that's a ripped Dinan tune someone on the forums was selling back then.  And hen he adds that he is friends with Josh (in the same car club) and since I am too he'll just send it to me for free, sicne it was just sitting around in a box of old BMW stuff he had from back in the day, and that he's gonna send two old M50 DMEs as well.

So that mostly just goes back to that it's kind of cool (especialy with car stuff on marketplace) see the seller profile and pick up little things like mutual friends, especially in the "car scene" where it seems everyone knows someone else lol. 

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
6/27/19 6:11 a.m.

I would be off of FB if it weren't for marketplace. My main beef with it is that it doesn't seem to work in real time. I could sit on it for an hour refreshing the search results,  then suddenly it will show me a matching ad that was posted 4 hours ago. It's what I want.  Send a message. Already sold. 

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/27/19 6:41 a.m.
irish44j said:

Funny part is, I offered to give them away for nothing here in the GRM classifieds, and didn't have any takers locally. Then I ask for something random in trade, and had several messages within a day lol. Maybe people think something's better if they have to pay/trade for it, haha....

This absolutely true. For free, they are hauling off your trash. A swap for a old bottle of booze, on the other hand, is the deal of the century. 

aw614
aw614 Reader
6/27/19 7:42 a.m.
JamesMcD said:

I would be off of FB if it weren't for marketplace. My main beef with it is that it doesn't seem to work in real time. I could sit on it for an hour refreshing the search results,  then suddenly it will show me a matching ad that was posted 4 hours ago. It's what I want.  Send a message. Already sold. 

It's just like the classified groups people created, facebook decided to be all fancy with the aggregation of searching for stuff to "decide" for you on what to see, instead of letting everything show up in chronologial order. Annoying to maintain and manage when you are an admin of a classified group and have to do some clean up from the spammers and car dealers trying to flood your page

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/27/19 9:06 a.m.

My main (recent) gripe with FB marketplace is that listings for a car seem to vanish into the ether if you don't pay their $15 extortion, sorry, "boost" fee. That fee suddenly explained why I would only see ads from dealers and couldn't find stuff from private sellers. And got pretty much no nibbles for my E34.

Put the E34 on CL an it was sold in less than a week.

OTOH the for sale groups and the other, non-vehicle categories on Marketplace seem to be rather useful.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus New Reader
6/27/19 9:20 a.m.

I find FB marketplace to be the best thing to find cheap stuff.  If you think about how lazy most people have become this day, it makes sense:  Everyone is already on their phone staring at FB anyways, so with three clicks boom, something is for sale, cheap.  With craigslist they have to go alllllll the way to a browser window and open an account, and it's sooooo much trouble.  FB seems to be a great place for people just wanting to get rid of stuff.  Yesterday I got a set of the factory 19X9" track pack wheels for my mustang, with perelli tires in pretty good shape for $250.  This weekend I'm getting a new bathroom vanity/sink for $15.  My wife got a nice bassinet for I think $20.  And at least in the Maryland area, you can find 15 year old Volvos for challenge prices, all day long.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
6/27/19 9:28 a.m.

In reply to infinitenexus :

yeah we do like our euro trash cars in this part of the world.  Almost enough to make me a Volvo fan-boi given how many are out there on CL. 

To the original post.

I deactivated my FB account.  Fortunately but unfortunately a friend used Messenger to tell me about another old friend of ours passing away last week gleaned from a FB post. That's something important to me but not enough to reactivate.

However, I might consider setting up a new account with a nickname and then I can browse Marketplace to my hearts content and not be bothered with all the other stuff if that's possible. indecision

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
6/27/19 9:58 a.m.

FBM has a crappy search function and the radius limits it to people like us who are willing to drive a distance for a good deal. The last year I have bought and sold more items on FBM, and have talked to legitimate people. CL has turned to more scammers then actually dealing with a person, when ever I put my number I get about 10 fake message and emails. 

In any case bottle of Jamison was a great deal.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
6/27/19 10:19 a.m.

newbs not allowed.  oh well maybe 10 months from now i'll check back to see if the marketplace icon is there and i'll probably either delete the account or become a mp junkie. smiley

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
6/27/19 5:30 p.m.
trigun7469 said:

FBM has a crappy search function and the radius limits it to people like us who are willing to drive a distance for a good deal. The last year I have bought and sold more items on FBM, and have talked to legitimate people. CL has turned to more scammers then actually dealing with a person, when ever I put my number I get about 10 fake message and emails. 

In any case bottle of Jamison was a great deal.

usually if I'm looking for something unusual that isn't popping up in my area, I'll put my location in as "New York City" or "Philadelphia" or other major markets that I could day-trip to, and then search within 100 miles of that location. That seems to work pretty well. 

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
6/27/19 5:31 p.m.
nutherjrfan said:

newbs not allowed.  oh well maybe 10 months from now i'll check back to see if the marketplace icon is there and i'll probably either delete the account or become a mp junkie. smiley

I didn't know that was the case (since I've had my account for a long time) but would assume that's to keep scammers and dealers from creating fake accounts and then immediately posting a bunch of stuff. The dealers and scammers don't seem to be the types to create an account and then wait a while to be able to use it. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VspW45kz32avEuonZI7OTzs5ezKsbh71Tl4KWJTA4R0dC9Al2tQvo8t688yBiXHv