1 2 3
Flat_Black13z
Flat_Black13z New Reader
9/3/18 12:38 p.m.

If I kept the original frame, as the original driveline is long gone(good riddance) I was going rwd ecotec. Think solstice/sky turbo or not 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/3/18 12:55 p.m.

I had a black one in high school only because a hot cheerleader had a yellow & white one.  It was quite peppy and all the girls thought it was cute and I was harmless.

They were half right....

It's so small and light, wouldn't a 2.3 turbo get 'er done?

rsk289
rsk289 New Reader
9/3/18 3:14 p.m.

Hi

Long time lurker here. There is a writeup on the racing Metropolitan at http://www.cckhistoric.com/tag/nash-metropolitan/

including a cool video of it racing at Goodwood.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
9/3/18 5:13 p.m.

Just saying...

https://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?40,3333819

Pete

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
9/3/18 6:47 p.m.
rsk289 said:

Hi

Long time lurker here. There is a writeup on the racing Metropolitan at http://www.cckhistoric.com/tag/nash-metropolitan/

including a cool video of it racing at Goodwood.

That's pretty cool!

Video embedding still seems to be broken, but here's the link to the video rsk289 mentioned.

https://youtu.be/dUGjKX_2u2E

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
9/3/18 7:00 p.m.

In reply to Flat_Black13z:

Ecotec has crossed my mind too.  I haven't counted it out yet. 

In reply to 914Driver:

I'm not interested in trying to package a turbo, plumbing, and intercooler in this thing.  Though turbocharging, or supercharging a worked over version of the stock engine is appealing.

In reply to NOHOME:

I watched several of his Youtube videos before we bought ours, helped inspire further interest.  I actually liked the Toyota 3TC swap he did originally a little better than the 3.4l, I know the 3.4l makes a lot more power, but it just doesn't do much for me.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/3/18 8:00 p.m.

At the local car hangout (Glen Burnie Maryland) there is a Nash that has the small GM v6 much like the red one a few post above this.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
9/3/18 8:42 p.m.
Jumper K Balls said:
bigdaddylee82 said:

In reply to Jumper K Balls :

The Metropolitan did have a BCM engine, but Nash was an American company.

Made in Birmingham England by Austin with an Austin power train and Lucas electrics. I don't care what the badge says, that thing is British! laugh

One of the few cars that qualify as both British and American. Accepted by both groups and clubs.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/3/18 9:20 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

That engine sucks out loud....  get a 3400 and get an extra 30 hp with the same amount of work and you can get an engine out of any fwd Chevy ever.   *slight* exaggeration....

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
9/3/18 9:46 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

Not as trivial as all that as the MG swappers know. Else it would be the go to swap.

Pete

Supercoupe
Supercoupe HalfDork
9/4/18 7:00 a.m.

nice find...I have a soft spot for them but have never found one in my cheap azz price range..

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/4/18 7:01 a.m.

I've got one in my 2nd gen rx7.

Front cover, pulley, water pump, and alternator need swapped from a fwd 60 degree v6.  It's easy stuff.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
9/4/18 7:16 a.m.

Or  a bit of cutting and aluminium welding.  Did it on my challenge car. 

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/4/18 7:19 a.m.

I lived next to this gent for 25 years. When we moved in next door, he was driving Metropolitan. Not really a car guy but certainly a guy who appreciated cars. 

Edit: The book is on Amazon for the interested. 

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
9/4/18 10:43 a.m.

I wish I was a Metropolitan person.

wspohn
wspohn Dork
9/4/18 12:54 p.m.

Series 2 cars like yours used the BMC B series engine - in 1500 cc form.  A hot rodded MGB engine will look right and will double the power.

Biggest issue is handling - the front wheels have to maintain the narrow track width due to the body lines and the steering is a bit vague but you can get front disc brake kits.  IIRC the rear end is A series and therefor a bit fragile with more power but I think an MG Magnette rear end can be grafted - maybe even an MGA or early MGB.

You can have lots of fun with it with a bit more handling and power. We had a similar model, a Riley 1.5 done up that way locally and it was a hoot!

RoddyMac17
RoddyMac17 Reader
9/4/18 1:23 p.m.

IIRC the rear end is A series and therefor a bit fragile with more power but I think an MG Magnette rear end can be grafted - maybe even an MGA or early MGB.

The axle is indeed A-series, but has different brakes to the standard Midgets.  The Met had Girling brakes rather than Lockheed and used unique drums and shoes.  The MGA and Magnette axle would need to be narrowed to fit the Met.

Fun fact, the Club and Sport models of the Lotus 11 and all live axle Series 1 Lotus 7's used the Nash Met axle.  

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
9/4/18 9:05 p.m.

In reply to wspohn :

Oooh, Riley 1.5 is on my list!  Came pretty close to buying a pristine one this past spring, but got cold feet, even after SWMBO gave the green light for the $4300 asking price. 

I want an Elf too!

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
9/4/18 10:11 p.m.

Now I want a Metropolitan. I didn't know they were available so cheap! I looked locally and saw some that looked good for not that much money. For some reason I figured a car this iconic would have skyrocketed in value already.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
11/27/20 1:38 p.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/27/20 1:55 p.m.

If this gets you all excited, there are some decently restored looking cars out there.

$8500. 

$4500.

$7500.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
11/27/20 2:44 p.m.

Here in Minnesota there is a street rodded Chevy V8 powered one with monster sized rear tires that barely have enough room between them to fit the differential. 
   So there is a lot you can do to them.  Do be a little reasonable about things though. To change a rear tire he has to drop the whole rear end. 
    Make sure your sway bar is big enough. The roll center on them is remarkably high and without a big enough one it really will look silly going around corners. 

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
11/27/20 4:11 p.m.
wspohn
wspohn Dork
11/28/20 3:02 p.m.

Just FYI, there is another British car that would make a killer sleeper.

The Triumph Mayflower looks like a miniature Rolls and has a horrid flat head 1200 cc engine (with alloy head that used to corrode onto the head studs). But....it also used much of the suspension that eventually made its way into the Triumph TR2 through 4, and you can slot in all the upgrades plus a gutsy tuned 140 bhp 2.2 TR engine with an OD trans and still have it look right.

thedoc
thedoc GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/28/20 3:11 p.m.

I know a guy who has two and a parts car.  When he sees me he invariably tells me about one I can pick up.  So many cars, so little storage.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1qjqL1wmEe7s4i0cJj68U57P572MkgmrVTh8XUkzozwZp8DNL9XAuXxu70OSWHVd