1 2 3
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/5/19 3:21 p.m.

My shop as of right now. There’s another one in the trailer. 4 1990s and one 1994. There’s also an ND in the garage. The answer density is high today.

Good thing I don’t have more than one friend. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/5/19 3:24 p.m.

A MiataGBGT would be nice....  you have the pieces, you have the ability....

I have only driven an NC, but I think an NA would be fun from a small, light revy' perspective.

Keith Tanner
12/5/19 3:28 p.m.

The MG already has an alternative engine :) I had a spare GT with no engine, but I sold it because I didn’t really want one with a four when I had the eight. 

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller HalfDork
12/5/19 4:00 p.m.

I like all generations of Miata. But my favorite Miata would be a free one!

outasite
outasite HalfDork
12/5/19 4:11 p.m.

Having owned a 92 without P/S, A/C and radio and now having a 99 with those, I miss the poor basic sports car feel of the 92. The 99 P/S is over assisted.

_
_ Dork
12/5/19 4:29 p.m.

Love my NA8. The right balance of power and bracing. Though I really Want to drive an Automatic NC. 

einy
einy HalfDork
12/5/19 4:49 p.m.

Have owned two NA’s and one NB, extensively drove my neighbor’s NC when he was alive to exercise it for him.  No ND experience yet.  Of those I had seat time in, I liked the NB the best, by a long shot.  The steering feel was sublime.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/5/19 4:51 p.m.

Not driven an ND yet, but an NC would be my pick for a daily driver.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/5/19 5:14 p.m.

All I have actually driven was a very ratty NA, and I loved it.

Aesthetically, I think the the NB is the leader.

The NC is growing on me all the time.

Who doesn't love the ND?

For me, it's gotta be the NB.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/5/19 5:20 p.m.

NB.  Especially the one I've driven for over 200k miles.  Great car to drive.

I can understand the appeal of the more simple car- but I have an Alfa Romeo to fil that need.  The NB is just a great car.

I do think the NC is slightly a better car than the NB is, but it wasn't enough to buy one, and over time, I do prefer the NB's looks.  It would be nice if I could get a retractable hardtop for my car, though.  The extra weight isn't a big deal to me.

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/5/19 5:22 p.m.

ND2, I love the ND1 as well, but the ND2 power delivery up top and the transmission issue appearing to be solved is a big plus in my book.

The ND is my perfect Miata. I love them.

barefootskater
barefootskater SuperDork
12/5/19 5:27 p.m.

Having only ridden in an NA and only driven and ND2, If it were my money, today, probably NC. Based on pricing, general consensus regarding civility/comfort, and my constant needing to have whatever has the least support (by bad luck or bad planning usually).

ND looks the best though, in every color. Hard top.

calteg
calteg Dork
12/5/19 6:01 p.m.

Having owned multiple NAs, NBs, and an NC, I'm all about those pop up headlights. That being said, the ND2 is a ridiculous value proposition. Hell, i've been searching for a 2.5L NC recently...

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
12/5/19 6:04 p.m.

I've never liked the looks of an NC and have never driven one and don't really care to.

I suspect that my favorite generation is the ND, but I have made sure to not look to closely at them or drive one, because I am afraid that I would then want to buy one.

penultimeta
penultimeta HalfDork
12/5/19 6:21 p.m.

Depends. Each generation has a slightly different feel. My favorite one that I’ve driven is a ‘92 with the FM stage I suspension, but otherwise completely stock. I don’t think I’d wanna DD it, though. For the price/fun/practicality factor that i can hop in and drive rain, shine or snow  it’d probably be an NC with fox coil overs. 

maj75
maj75 HalfDork
12/5/19 6:26 p.m.

My ‘90 was my favorite.  The 1.6 revved so quickly and the car felt so light, as it was an A pkg.  I had a ‘95 and a 2000 but they all felt heavier and less willing to rev.

MrFancypants
MrFancypants New Reader
12/5/19 6:32 p.m.

NC3 Club soft top, True Red with a manual transmission. 

I haven't driven an ND, which I'm sure is amazing, but I prefer the looks of this specific NC and I feel that I would be more happy with the old hydraulic steering rack. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/5/19 6:42 p.m.

Pop.

Up.

Headlights.

Rodan
Rodan Dork
12/5/19 6:47 p.m.

At one point, my friends were starting to call me a Miata hoarder, but I'm an amateur compared to Keith... cheeky

The NC is gone, and the blue NB is a rolling shell in storage these days (spare chassis, just in case).  Never owned an ND, but have driven an ND1.

For the pure Miataness, it's gotta be the NA.  I just love the simplicity of it and the analog nature.

For a driver, NC PRHT... no question.  It's a bit roomier than the ND, and the power hard top makes it darn good as a car.  Springs, shocks, sways and tires, and it's a darn good Answer.

As much as I love my NA on the track, if I were starting today, I'd find an NC with a blown engine and 2.5 swap it.

Toebra
Toebra Dork
12/5/19 6:57 p.m.

NB for sure.  Best looking by a long shot to me.  Great car with amazing aftermarket support  Insurance is suprisingly inexpensive also.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/5/19 7:10 p.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy :

Me.  I have driven an ND and strongly dislike it.  I like 1.8 NA's with hardtops.  

Keith Tanner
12/5/19 7:20 p.m.

Lots of people who need to visit an optometrist here. The original 1.6 has the best interior design and looks the best :) The blue car in the picture is basically an NB underneath. Well, the parts I want to be NB are. Two of these cars are 1.6, one is 1.8, one is 6.2. MG is 5.7. All but one of the Miatas have a hardtop.

Ive thought about buying an ND but I can borrow them anytime. I take the parts I like from the NB and put them in the NA. I will likely never own an NC myself. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/5/19 7:26 p.m.
Patrick said:

In reply to wheelsmithy :

Me.  I have driven an ND and strongly dislike it.  I like 1.8 NA's with hardtops.  

What!?! At the general tire challenge?

ND on an autox course i thought was sublime.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/5/19 7:31 p.m.
maj75 said:

My ‘90 was my favorite.  The 1.6 revved so quickly and the car felt so light, as it was an A pkg.  I had a ‘95 and a 2000 but they all felt heavier and less willing to rev.

I feel the same way about my 90, and enjoy it way more than I did my 94. That’s also partially because I have a much better suspension on the 90. That said I’m glad I don’t have to live with it as a DD.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
12/5/19 7:39 p.m.

My favorite is the Honda S2000 generation. 2005 to be exact. AP2 without traction control. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UE5S72qwFCLhMfKHCQo5k5uYo6nIaN8N5fLL7SkzwHabkEQLA8yb4W5BT52IfP3f