1 2
fasted58
fasted58 SuperDork
11/1/11 12:15 a.m.
Rob_Mopar wrote: black hammertone... It's more like a dark charcoal than black but turned out nice and has held up well.

Speak of the frickin' devil, I was just painting the old Snap On toolbox w/ the black hammertone when I took a break after the first coat and read this post. Had to wonder about mixing and the pigments but it is dark charcoal rather than black, it's OK tho, it looks great for a 30 y/o beat up toolbox.

I just used a brush for this small box but I'd like to spray gun it on larger pieces. I might be hooked on this stuff.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
11/1/11 4:50 a.m.
donalson wrote: would I be better off borrowing my dads old wagner... cutting it and spraying it on then brushing?

I've sprayed, I've brushed. Have to say, brushed lasts far longer. You put more down.

Thin the stuff, and it soaks in better and adheres better. Thick and it just tends to glop on, and fall back off.

OrangeAlpine
OrangeAlpine New Reader
11/1/11 5:53 a.m.

In reply to donalson:

Krylon has a line of Hamm-R paints. Looks pretty much the same, any experience with it?

Bill

tr8todd
tr8todd Reader
11/1/11 6:53 a.m.

I have had real bad results with the Rustoleum hammered finish on suspension parts. It chips off and leaves small areas to rust up. Real Hammerite(if you can find it) and Por-15 work great on the other hand. I like to use rustoleum inside the car and on roll cages because it is so easy to clean off with a drill and wire wheel if I have to do any subsequent welding and then paint touch up.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wPLyyqzTOTmBRDoayfuv6Zu7spcSuv11GqjPr8snTitSK9vRAUHNQR4giLb6SfXV