1 2 3 4
mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
5/12/13 3:04 p.m.
Nathan JansenvanDoorn wrote: I got to see a Cayman S driven in anger yesterday at a club auto-x. What. A. Car.

If the Cayman had a back seat it would be perfect! Of course then it would be a 911.........

Woody
Woody MegaDork
5/12/13 4:50 p.m.
Nathan JansenvanDoorn wrote: I got to see a Cayman S driven in anger yesterday at a club auto-x. What. A. Car.

They sound good with the revs up too, don't they?

Nathan JansenvanDoorn
Nathan JansenvanDoorn Dork
5/12/13 5:18 p.m.

Fantastic!

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
5/12/13 6:15 p.m.
Woody wrote: You can buy mine for $29,998...  photo Porsche2005.jpg

Your's would be perfect for a long nose conversion

Woody
Woody MegaDork
5/12/13 6:25 p.m.
mad_machine wrote:
Woody wrote: You can buy mine for $29,998...  photo Porsche2005.jpg

Your's would be perfect for a long nose conversion

In that case, I would refuse to sell it to you.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
5/12/13 6:39 p.m.
Woody wrote: You can buy mine for $29,998...  photo Porsche2005.jpg

Ahem, I believe there is a line for yours, and I'm ahead of him.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
5/12/13 6:47 p.m.

What are your intentions?

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
5/13/13 5:22 a.m.

http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/3741777426.html

Simply amazing right color, right parts. Just great.

But not silver. I find the dark blue much more compelling.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
5/13/13 6:48 a.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine:

That's a good looking car.

dj06482
dj06482 Dork
5/13/13 7:14 a.m.

That blue one is gorgeous (and local). I'm thankful I'm not in the market right now...

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
5/13/13 7:24 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/3741777426.html

That is the car right there. Inspect carefully and go buy it.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
5/13/13 7:51 a.m.
Woody wrote: What are your intentions?

What are my intentions? A little gentlemanly courting, to start. But I've been doing that for a while now, haven't I?

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
5/13/13 7:52 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/3741777426.html

That is the car right there. Inspect carefully and go buy it.

I agree.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
5/13/13 8:03 a.m.
bravenrace wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/3741777426.html

That is the car right there. Inspect carefully and go buy it.

I agree.

Wow... I'm not even remotely in the market for a 911 and I want that car...

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
5/13/13 8:08 a.m.
Ian F wrote:
bravenrace wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/3741777426.html

That is the car right there. Inspect carefully and go buy it.

I agree.

Wow... I'm not even remotely in the market for a 911 and I want that car...

Yeah, that

beans
beans New Reader
5/13/13 8:25 a.m.

If I was in the market for a first time 911, I'd probably go with a 996. It's hard justifying one over a nice Boxster S though.

Then after wanting something a bit more 'pure' Porsche, I'd probably try for a 993 C2. Those cars are so dreamy.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
5/13/13 8:30 a.m.

Stop.

I'm pretty sure that I've driven this car. It was a few years and a few 911s ago but I suspect that it's the same car. If it is, then it's had a partial repaint. As I recall, it was the rear and the passenger's side rear quarter. You have to look close, but I could see orange peel and some sanding marks. The seller said that he didn't know anything about that and I kind of believe him. He did come right out and tell me that someone had backed into the driver's door and that had been repainted.

The interior was really showing it's age and didn't look like it would be easy to refresh. Porsche white leather is tough.

The steering column bushing was shot and the wheel was flopping around, but that's a common problem and he mentions that it had been fixed.

If I were shopping for a new 911 in 1987, I may very well have chosen this color combo and would have certainly ordered the sport seats. I really wanted to buy this car about four or five years ago, but in the end, I never even made an offer on it.

Shop carefully.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
5/13/13 8:46 a.m.

Here's an important tip when shopping for a Porsche:

When they left the factory, the lip on the wheel arches were half smooth and half textured. This is almost impossible for a body shop to duplicate and most wouldn't care anyway. But, it's an easy way to determine if the car has ever suffered any body damage.

If you'd like to see an example of how they looked from the factory, stop by my house sometime and take a look at any of the four fenders on my gray coupe....

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
5/13/13 10:12 a.m.

Thanks for the tip Woody :)

Woody
Woody MegaDork
5/13/13 10:40 a.m.

It varies a bit from car to car, but this is what you are looking for:

 photo PorscheWheelWells006_zpsacc90ce2.jpg

 photo PorscheWheelWells001_zps073ef1c0.jpg

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT HalfDork
5/13/13 11:34 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: If the Cayman had a back seat it would be perfect! Of course then it would be a 911.........

If the 911 had its' engine where the back seats are, it would be perfect! Of course, then it would be a Cayman...

I'm sure this is what you meant. ;-)

David

Flight Service
Flight Service UltimaDork
5/13/13 11:38 a.m.
Woody wrote: Here's an important tip when shopping for a Porsche: When they left the factory, the lip on the wheel arches were half smooth and half textured. This is almost impossible for a body shop to duplicate and most wouldn't care anyway. But, it's an easy way to determine if the car has ever suffered any body damage. If you'd like to see an example of how they looked from the factory, stop by my house sometime and take a look at any of the four fenders on my gray coupe....

ooohhhh that is good data right there

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
5/13/13 12:31 p.m.
Woody wrote: It varies a bit from car to car, but this is what you are looking for:

Thanks for the pics. Wasn't 100% sure what you meant.

LanEvo
LanEvo New Reader
5/13/13 10:44 p.m.

The only Porsche I still dream about is the 964 RS:

Max_Archer
Max_Archer Reader
5/13/13 11:57 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: You can still barely get an '88 G50 3.2L for that... and when you sell it you will make money.

I'm really interested in doing this myself. My folks have some money invested that's not doing too great, and I have my dad halfway convinced that picking up a solid AC 911, having fun with it for a few years, and selling it on for a profit is a reasonable use for some of it. Of course, since I live in town I'd get to come over and take care of it and keep it exercised!

As for 996s... personally, for the money, I think I'd grab the nicest 6spd Carrera 2 S I could find for the money. A silver Carrera S with a stick is about as quintessential a Porsche experience as you're gonna get with a water-cooled car, and it's probably the best price-performance balance while hopefully giving you room to get a low-mileage car.

I haven't read every post yet so this may have already been said and probably will if not, but don't touch a car without finding a good shop and getting a PPI. Any owner who won't let you get a PPI is either hiding something wrong or doesn't know enough about owning a car of this sort to be somebody you want to buy one from.

1 2 3 4
Our Preferred Partners
1Vekbu1KgjEhBPobsfqfDNcWmGuQQBYZNoaQv5up0171JewVjigXoKhEGjdAbidd