1 2 3
JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
9/29/14 7:53 p.m.

The Buick Reatta, no longer being held down by "The Man".
It can now get out there and bring on the hurt that we always suspected it could.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/29/14 8:25 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: The Buick Reatta, no longer being held down by "The Man". It can now get out there and bring on the hurt that we always suspected it could.

I suspect that in due time we'll all be referring to H Street as Spec Reatta.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/29/14 8:40 p.m.

Fixer champ car.

http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/4623273261.html

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/29/14 8:43 p.m.

The F-body V6 could be interesting. The 3rd gen cars w/F41 basicly had the Z28 suspension. The 4th gen 3.8L Y87 cars were the same idea.

Lancer007
Lancer007 HalfDork
9/29/14 9:04 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
JohnRW1621 wrote: The Buick Reatta, no longer being held down by "The Man". It can now get out there and bring on the hurt that we always suspected it could.
I suspect that in due time we'll all be referring to H Street as Spec Reatta.

Spec Reatta sounds absolutely terrible and awesome at the same time. The hard part would be getting at least half a dozen at the same event at the same time.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/29/14 9:07 p.m.

SVO Mustang might be an interesting choice, too.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
9/29/14 9:18 p.m.

So correct me if i'm wrong but it looks like H Street is just the dumping ground for anything and everything that cant be competitive in G Street regardless of how much more capable some H Street things are than others.

I guess you cant really make slower classes then that unless you want guys like me coming out and winning PAX every month in a raging pile of E36 M3. The slow car accomodation has to stop somewhere.

sanman
sanman HalfDork
9/29/14 9:24 p.m.

Time to get a v6 Camry for HS... I smell a national title coming!

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
9/29/14 9:31 p.m.
sanman wrote: Time to get a v6 Camry for HS... I smell a national title coming!

And maybe a replacement engine.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
9/29/14 9:32 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: The F-body V6 could be interesting. The 3rd gen cars w/F41 basicly had the Z28 suspension. The 4th gen 3.8L Y87 cars were the same idea.

I was going to ask this question. Thank you for the answer.
Now how do I find either of these?

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
9/29/14 9:38 p.m.

The Infiniti M30 of the '90's gets the kind reprieve down to HS. The same vintage Q45 still has to hold its own ground in FS and now that includes Boss 302's from '12 and '13.

Those suckers with Boss 302's wont know what hit 'em when they feel the wrath of the Q45!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
9/29/14 9:41 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote:
Gearheadotaku wrote: The F-body V6 could be interesting. The 3rd gen cars w/F41 basicly had the Z28 suspension. The 4th gen 3.8L Y87 cars were the same idea.
I was going to ask this question. Thank you for the answer. Now how do I find either of these?

You probably find a base model and then do a package conversion. The same way a lot of Z0K and MSRs are made.

sanman
sanman HalfDork
9/29/14 9:57 p.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

Actually, I might need at least two replacement engines if I recall the GRM project car thread correctly.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
9/29/14 10:20 p.m.

H Street Milano 3.0l sounds like a good idea.

Mustang SVO would be epic.

200SX SE is interesting to me. Probably would be similar to Milano

IDK much about this class but i'm assuming that things like putting a tighter platinum rear into a Milano Q would be not allowed? SVO has some NLA parts too that are REALLY NLA. Ball joints I think.

This Reatta talk must be joking, lol. 200SX would wreck that car.

I don't see a 318 bmw competing with any of those cars either.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
9/29/14 10:23 p.m.

Well then, HS to get more crowded, I might just add a sway bar to get out of an already overloaded class.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/29/14 10:23 p.m.

Interesting to see some former D Stock contenders now all the way down in H Street. I guess 140 horsepower is no longer so hot, huh?

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
9/29/14 10:35 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote:
I was going to ask this question. Thank you for the answer. Now how do I find either of these?

It's usually annotated in the VIN which is where the "Y87" package name comes from. Just like the WS6 and WS9 packages on the Firebirds. Even so you can find stock Z28/SS & WS6/Formula suspension parts on the cheap. It is becoming hard to come across a manual version plus the coil packs love to go bad at inopportune times. It is highly recommended to keep at least 3 spares in the car at all times.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
9/29/14 10:48 p.m.

Thinking about this more, this makes me want to pick up a Milano Verde bad.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
9/29/14 11:56 p.m.

I think that an Integra GS-R and CRX will have a chance.

Travis_K
Travis_K UberDork
9/30/14 4:07 a.m.

A stock Milano isn't really even close to the performance of a focus st, they handle reasonably well, but the stock suspension is pretty soft, amd they aren't really that fast. Mustang svos used to do really well, but as far as I know they were done in stock class years ago because most of the front suspension is now nla. The weird one from that list id be tempted to try just for fun would be an svx, or if I was a foot shorter a 405 mi16. Those actually might be competitive, but I don't think anyone over 5'10 could drive one with a helmet on. I'm 6'4 and too tall to drive one even without a helmet. Finding one would be almost impossible, but the competition package turbo shadow or Daytona would be cool too.

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/30/14 6:50 a.m.

Funny that the original CRX Si was so feared, when introduced for 1985, that it was classed in A Stock, the highest class at the time. Now it has migrated all the way to the "slowest" class, if this proposal goes through.

Good to see the 1993-97 Mazda MX6/Ford Probe and the Celica ST going back down to H where they battled for many years. Good, economical, fun, durable cars.

Will
Will SuperDork
9/30/14 8:03 a.m.

What was the biggest wheel option on a V6 car? Could you get 17x8s or 17x9s on the 4th gens? Even if so, these are still big cars.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
9/30/14 8:14 a.m.
Will wrote:
What was the biggest wheel option on a V6 car? Could you get 17x8s or 17x9s on the 4th gens? Even if so, these are still big cars.

I'm wondering what the wheel options on the third gen cars were. I always hear that they start to get floppy with the application of power and grip, but V6 cars on 200tw tires don't really have to worry about either of those things.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
9/30/14 9:04 a.m.

So... does this mean my SVT Focus isn't going to win anymore?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
9/30/14 9:11 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote:
Will wrote:
I'm wondering what the wheel options on the third gen cars were. I always hear that they start to get floppy with the application of power and grip, but V6 cars on 200tw tires don't really have to worry about either of those things.

The Y87 included 16x8 wheels from my brief googling. That means 17x8s are an option under the stock class rules. They just might have a chance...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kQiFA47uzx8S6Sn4WYXbsYH0ptlLGIXVHopGY1blcryQsGhnMxRdB8lJBQu12dSh