1 2 3
wrongwheeldrive
wrongwheeldrive Reader
9/30/14 9:22 a.m.

CRX Si has no chance because of it's tiny 5" wide wheels. As probably the last person to competitively drive one in the old G stock, I know firsthand that with 185/14 z2's the car turns into a sad, wallowing shell of it's former self.

GSR isn't the right droid either,no LSD and putting a rear bar on it will probably just tear the subframe out.

Civic Si is an attractive option, with a diff and 7" wheels, plus decent VTAK power. I'm surprised they're lumping the 08 mugen with it though, it's lower, stiffer, has wider wheels, and yet they only made 1000 of them.

FiST is the easy button, walk into your dealer and leave with a contender.

But don't count out the B15 SE-R and Spec V, either. LSD, 7" wheels, killer torque. While the twist beam rear end is toed slightly in, the car is not an understeering pig in stock form. The Spec V's super short gearing might be it's only weakness, but the 5 spd in the regular SE-R might be the answer, even if it looses a little power.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/30/14 10:01 a.m.

the top 3 in H stock will be the MINI, FiST, and Civic SI.

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
9/30/14 12:33 p.m.
Danny Shields wrote: Funny that the original CRX Si was so feared, when introduced for 1985, that it was classed in A Stock, the highest class at the time.

You're correct about the speed of the '85 Si. I was a pretty good driver then, but not really top caliber yet I won SFTD on more than one occasion with mine. And we had a very good 914-6 in our region at the time too.

However I agree, that day is well & truly gone. 5" wheels don't get it anymore.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/30/14 1:30 p.m.
racerdave600 wrote: Personally, I want to see someone challenge the MINI with a Peugeot 505. I think its the next "it" car!

I have always wanted a French car and as soon as I saw 405 Mi16....

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/30/14 2:04 p.m.

I agree that the FiST and Civic SI will give the Mini a run in HS.

I think if the car is over 20 years old you should be able to update the width of the wheels by an inch. Of course that would really help NA Miatas.

jj wrote: •Ford Mustang Boss 302 non-Laguna Seca (2012-2013) from AS to FS Sucks I just bought a brand new 2014 GT Base. What can I do now? Update/backdate?

Do nothing, it's not that much better than the GT in autox terms, that's why they moved it to FS.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
9/30/14 2:16 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
racerdave600 wrote: Personally, I want to see someone challenge the MINI with a Peugeot 505. I think its the next "it" car!
I have always wanted a French car and as soon as I saw 405 Mi16....

Do it! I always wanted to see a 2CV at an autocross as well... I autocrossed a '50's SAAB once, it has to be the same...right?

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
9/30/14 2:29 p.m.
wrongwheeldrive wrote: But don't count out the B15 SE-R and Spec V, either. LSD, 7" wheels, killer torque. While the twist beam rear end is toed slightly in, the car is not an understeering pig in stock form.

+1

I bet I could rock that class with my old stock class Spec V.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
9/30/14 5:59 p.m.
Travis_K wrote: A stock Milano isn't really even close to the performance of a focus st, they handle reasonably well, but the stock suspension is pretty soft, amd they aren't really that fast. Mustang svos used to do really well, but as far as I know they were done in stock class years ago because most of the front suspension is now nla. The weird one from that list id be tempted to try just for fun would be an svx, or if I was a foot shorter a 405 mi16. Those actually might be competitive, but I don't think anyone over 5'10 could drive one with a helmet on. I'm 6'4 and too tall to drive one even without a helmet. Finding one would be almost impossible, but the competition package turbo shadow or Daytona would be cool too.

If the 405 is decently competitive I know where I can find one for $2000 and I would buy it for the next season. Finding parts possible for them? I'm not against it if I have to go overseas. And are they really that good?

Pretty much if it's worse than a Civic I would pick up a Civic, lol.

Going to read about them. If they have decent wheel size and LSD I'll put some serious thought into it. Trying to find an oddball car to run and this class seem full of them. The 405 doesn't seem to have a LSD from what i'm seeing.

Also you mentioned Focus ST. Are you thinking Fiesta ST?

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
9/30/14 9:37 p.m.

Watch out.... its even challenge priced

http://daytona.craigslist.org/cto/4612238393.html

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/30/14 10:17 p.m.
pimpm3 wrote: Watch out.... its even challenge priced http://daytona.craigslist.org/cto/4612238393.html

And it's only 30 minutes away!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/30/14 10:18 p.m.

Although the wing scares me. Hopefully that's the only mod (aside from the wheels) and we can quickly return it to stock.

JG, we have our car for 2015.

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
9/30/14 10:33 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Although the wing scares me. Hopefully that's the only mod (aside from the wheels) and we can quickly return it to stock. JG, we have our car for 2015.

We may have a new answer...

Travis_K
Travis_K UberDork
10/1/14 8:52 a.m.
kanaric wrote:
Travis_K wrote: A stock Milano isn't really even close to the performance of a focus st, they handle reasonably well, but the stock suspension is pretty soft, amd they aren't really that fast. Mustang svos used to do really well, but as far as I know they were done in stock class years ago because most of the front suspension is now nla. The weird one from that list id be tempted to try just for fun would be an svx, or if I was a foot shorter a 405 mi16. Those actually might be competitive, but I don't think anyone over 5'10 could drive one with a helmet on. I'm 6'4 and too tall to drive one even without a helmet. Finding one would be almost impossible, but the competition package turbo shadow or Daytona would be cool too.
If the 405 is decently competitive I know where I can find one for $2000 and I would buy it for the next season. Finding parts possible for them? I'm not against it if I have to go overseas. And are they really that good? Pretty much if it's worse than a Civic I would pick up a Civic, lol. Going to read about them. If they have decent wheel size and LSD I'll put some serious thought into it. Trying to find an oddball car to run and this class seem full of them. The 405 doesn't seem to have a LSD from what i'm seeing. Also you mentioned Focus ST. Are you thinking Fiesta ST?

I did mean fiesta st, although from what I have seem the two are pretty close as far as autocross times, its more the driver than anything else. I haven't ever driven one, but yes I do think a 405 MI16 could do reasonably well, probably one of the better weird cars on that list. I wasn't kidding about the lack of head room, but if you are short enough to fit I would say do it lol. I don't think they are that hard to get parts for, although I haven't looked that hard. If you just want a weird car that would be fun, a Milano would be good for that, although they aren't going to be able to keep up with newer cars. They are surprisingly easy to work on and find parts for though. I would get a 2.5 over a 3.0 though, if you get a silver or gold you avoid the annoying abs system, and the seats in the 3.0 fall apart much faster so they are usually in very bad shape. And the extra plastic trim on the fenders causes rust problems.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/1/14 10:04 a.m.

From what I have seen, the Fiesta ST will be the one to unseat the Mini. It's no match to the Focus ST, so people are not putting too much into it because it is outclassed in GS. But without big brother stealing it's fun in HS, people will be willing to develop it more and it will rival the Mini pretty quickly.

I parked next to a HS Mini at the last event and was jealous of how wide that thing was and how far out to the corners the wheels were. He was a bit jealous of the power I had and how well the FiST rotated. It's going to be a blast, regardless of what car comes out on top!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tutd9ItE39W4ObqnAzQ8wZHOyVW7ocmKsDdrAFn0v7SdUUUxVkdQ8KEJ5oOZtjJz