1 2 3
SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/15/14 8:29 p.m.

My hunt for a new daily has continued without much luck. Today I was browsing Focii when I came across a very attractively priced one-owner 2004 ZX3 locally. I was equally surprised when I found out it had the 2.3 Duratec! For $2500, it sounds like a deal. I think I am going to go purchase it tomorrow.

Now, I seem to recall reading that the 2.3 Duratec is in many ways a better engine than the 2.0 in the SVT. Why is this? What mods would the 2.3 respond well to? I was planning to spend up to $6k on something; if this thing is as nice as it looks, I can spend $1500 on sprucing it up and still come in way under my budget!

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/4776148649.html

The_Jed
The_Jed UltraDork
12/15/14 9:05 p.m.

It has a timing chain instead of a belt.

That's about the extent of my knowledge.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/15/14 9:35 p.m.

Knock off cosworth parts:

lnlds
lnlds Reader
12/15/14 9:40 p.m.

From my research when I was interested these guys the respond decently to basic breather mods. With the cosworth intake manifold you lose some mid range but gain top end. There's also a chinese knock-off that can be had for cheap if you're not morally opposed to that.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2691162&postcount=27

The dyno thread http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101159

I've also heard the gear ratios are too far spaced out in the 03-04 and there's do some sort of parts bin swap.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
12/16/14 5:27 a.m.

Interested, although I still have not figured out which years/models had the 2.3, and I am willing to bet that the current owners don't know either.

lnlds
lnlds Reader
12/16/14 6:53 a.m.

The 03-04 with either the 8th or 9th digit (can't remember) of the vin as Z and the 05-06 zx4 st came with the 2.3. There are some differences the later models had better interior, gear ratios, a tiny bit more hp since it didnt get the pzev intake),slightly different compatibility with the cosworth manifold, and the svt suspension doesn't swap in the back.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
12/16/14 6:57 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: Interested, although I still have not figured out which years/models had the 2.3, and I am willing to bet that the current owners don't know either.

It was a pretty small window of 2.3l Fusions. It's a better engine overall- far more modern than the Ztec. It was also not announced much- as the performance was pretty close to the SVT version.

Chassis wise- you can make it an SVT, or go just a little farther.

Engine wise- I'm not well versed in the aftermarket, but don't forget it's twin Mazda motor- they are very much the same thing. If you find performance parts that fit a 2.0l MZR or Duratec, it will go on the 2.3- the difference in the engine is the stroke/deck height (block, crank, rods, pistons). The heads and cams are the same.

It's also a good engine for self tuning- if you want to go that route- just basic coil on plug and EFI. Before that, I would find a good recording CAN system, and spend a few days finding out how the engine likes to run as it is- which gives you a good place to start.

ScreaminE
ScreaminE HalfDork
12/16/14 8:35 a.m.

It's basically all been said. Timing chain, great get up and go. I have a 2002 SVT. I'd like to find the car you listed local and swap all of my SVT parts over to a 2.3 car.

Buy this car, you can get the Focus SVT suspension brand new for $292 Shipped from eBay. Includes shocks, struts, springs, and fat rear sway bar. Add SVT brakes front and rear and you'll have a fantastic car. I just so happen to have an entire SVT parts car in my garage if you need any parts.

Elsmere
Elsmere New Reader
12/16/14 8:37 a.m.

It has been a while since I was researching these for a daily driver, but if I recall correctly, the '03-'04 2.3 manual cars use a 3.41 final drive, while the '05-'06 zx4 st 2.3, 2.0 zetec ('00-'04) and 2.0 duratec ('05-'07) all use a 3.85 final drive. I believe all of the dohc cars used an MTX-75 transmission except the SVT. It is a pretty tough trans. I don't know what the sohc cars used, because I didn't care about them...

The 2.3 engine was also known as the pzev engine, and was originally only available in select costal states in 2003. 2004 made it an option in all states.

ScreaminE
ScreaminE HalfDork
12/16/14 8:41 a.m.
lnlds wrote: and the svt suspension doesn't swap in the back.

Incorrect. You're thinking wagon.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
12/16/14 9:10 a.m.

EPA says fuel economy is around 28 highway with the 2.3 and 31mpg with the 2.0l, if that matters.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/16/14 9:13 a.m.

I know where you can get a supercharger for the 2.3 Although the current fad with the Miata guys is to replace the 2.0 MZR (aka Duratec, not the same as a Zetec) with a 2.5. Haven't tried it myself, it's one of those swaps that's touted as super-easy online which means there's a lot of information being glossed over...

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
12/16/14 9:15 a.m.

What bolt pattern are the Foci with the Duratec and does someone make a space that converts them to 4x100?

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
12/16/14 9:35 a.m.

In reply to PHeller:

4x104. Or 4x4". Which ever you like.

Which means all of the Alfa wheels will fit!

Or for actual selection of used parts, all of the Mustang wheels that are 4 bolt will fit. I have a few of those- 15x7 and 14x8 that I was going to use on a challenge car. Now the 15's may go onto my Fiesta for snow tires.

Merkur, Mustang, Focus, and US Fiesta 4 bolt are all the same thing. Happens to fit on Alfas, too.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
12/16/14 9:46 a.m.

4x108 ! Or 4.25"

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
12/16/14 9:47 a.m.

At what point did they switch the Zetec 2.0l over to the Duratec 2.0l?

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/16/14 9:58 a.m.

In reply to PHeller:

I believe 2002

ScreaminE
ScreaminE HalfDork
12/16/14 10:11 a.m.
PHeller wrote: At what point did they switch the Zetec 2.0l over to the Duratec 2.0l?

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/16/14 10:59 a.m.

At this point I definitely intend to buy this car. Meeting the guy on Friday or Saturday to have a look. ScreaminE, you will likely have a PM as soon as I pick it up, I will be in need of some of those SVT goodies...

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
12/16/14 11:31 a.m.
iceracer wrote: 4x108 ! Or 4.25"

42, 43, whatever it takes.

(they are still common with Alfas and Mustangs)

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/16/14 11:56 a.m.

In reply to ScreaminE:

you're right I was thinking duratec transition, forgot the 2.0 verus 2.3 aspect!

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
12/16/14 12:08 p.m.
alfadriver wrote:
iceracer wrote: 4x108 ! Or 4.25"
42, 43, whatever it takes. (they are still common with Alfas and Mustangs)

Ice racer is correct, its 4x108mm or 4x4.25"

ScreaminE is also correct, the 2.0L duratec arrived with the facelift cars....I'm still upset we got the facelift cars instead of the 2nd generation world car.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
12/16/14 12:47 p.m.

In reply to yamaha:

I realized that as soon as I saw his post. Was trying to make a Micheal Keaton reference.

And it's still the same Mustang/Merkur/Fiesta/old Alfa pattern. Which I have a few extra sets of.

ScreaminE
ScreaminE HalfDork
12/16/14 12:59 p.m.
SlickDizzy wrote: At this point I definitely intend to buy this car. Meeting the guy on Friday or Saturday to have a look. ScreaminE, you will likely have a PM as soon as I pick it up, I will be in need of some of those SVT goodies...

Awesome. I will cut you a serious deal for some goodies. I have an incoming SVT suspension that is next to new from the Carolinas. I can help you out with the piddly non-sense that nickel and dimes you to death from Ford.

I really need to update my build thread for my newest SVT.

ScreaminE
ScreaminE HalfDork
12/16/14 2:34 p.m.
SlickDizzy wrote: At this point I definitely intend to buy this car. Meeting the guy on Friday or Saturday to have a look. ScreaminE, you will likely have a PM as soon as I pick it up, I will be in need of some of those SVT goodies...

One more to add. I hope this car isn't sold by Friday. These things get gobbled up. Fast.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OvvM5KxEWOaOv4KG2TCAcFHLZwndWkM3K1x570qo0Ta4AJnw33IE90XG2ZXBs4yC