curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/26/11 11:05 p.m.

So I have almost all the factors in place to start soda blasting my 66 Bonneville. I have the whole thing disassembled (and I mean disassembled) and parts all over the lawn. I have a good 2.9 gpm 3000 PSI pressure washer and plan on buying the media blaster attachment for it here in the next couple days.

The plan is to blast and prime the "easy" parts here at home, but the shell is going to a shop for pro work.

I'm a little worried about legality and environmental stuff. The parts that I plan to do here are front fenders, 4 doors, inner fenders, cowl, etc. Do I just blast and let the water run into the street? Do I let it collect in the low spot of my driveway and vacuum it up after it dries?

Joshua
Joshua Reader
4/27/11 12:55 a.m.

For legal stuff just call your the local courthouse and ask, here in Sioux Falls we can prime within city limits but not paint.

ncjay
ncjay Reader
4/27/11 9:02 a.m.

Supposedly one of the advantages of soda blasting is that it is environmentally friendly. Hot Rod magazine soda blasted a car a while back, and did it right in a parking lot. Clean up was not an issue.

orphancars
orphancars Reader
4/27/11 9:03 a.m.

Soda blasting using a pressure washer? Please explain.............this is new to me. And I have a pressure washer!

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/27/11 9:08 a.m.

drifting a bit off subject but I saw an advertisement for blasting with dry ice. I thought that was a neat idea. I am not sure how / where you get the dry ice media and I am betting that must be some sort of grinder involved if you purchase dry ice pelts but I liked the idea that you were left with only what ever you remove from the item you are blasting.

curtis73
4/27/11 9:09 a.m.
orphancars wrote: Soda blasting using a pressure washer? Please explain.............this is new to me. And I have a pressure washer!

Its pretty slick. There is a venturi nozzle that fits in the end of the wand in place of the normal fittings. It has a hose and a probe that you stick in a bucket of sand, soda, walnut shells, glass beads, whatever and picks up media as you spray. Another benefit is that you can blast/degrease at the same time by mixing in a little powdered laundry detergent with the media.

Its like $100 for the basic system and then you typically buy different nozzles for different media size/hardness.

http://www.watercannon.com/p-173-industrial-wet-sand-blast-system-adjustable-flow.aspx

curtis73
4/27/11 9:38 a.m.

I had an idea... if I go get one of those eggshell mattress pads and lay the parts on it, theoretically it would catch most of the junk and let the water through. That probably won't satisfy local laws (if any) but I would sleep better.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 HalfDork
4/27/11 9:41 a.m.
curtis73 wrote: I had an idea... if I go get one of those eggshell mattress pads and lay the parts on it, theoretically it would catch most of the junk and let the water through. That probably won't satisfy local laws (if any) but I would sleep better.

That's actually a pretty good idea. That or a big towel or sheets or something?

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
4/27/11 10:06 a.m.

Keep us posted, that's a good idea on the mattress pad to simplify clean up. I have a soda blaster that I haven't yet used, so I'm getting anxious to try it out. I have to find a local source for soda, just haven't made it a priority yet and I'm not about to pay out the nose to ship a consumable like soda from an online company.

Bryce

PseudoSport
PseudoSport Reader
4/27/11 11:17 a.m.

Doesn’t soda dissolve in water? How well can that work with a pressure washer?

I have a pressure washer and this would be awesome way to clean up a bunch of parts I have kicking around along with a bare engine bay, trunk, door jams and interior of my Camaro. Do you know of anyone using this on rusty car parts? I’d like to see some pictures or video of how well it works.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
4/27/11 11:21 a.m.
PseudoSport wrote: Doesn’t soda dissolve in water? How well can that work with a pressure washer? I have a pressure washer and this would be awesome way to clean up a bunch of parts I have kicking around along with a bare engine bay, trunk, door jams and interior of my Camaro. Do you know of anyone using this on rusty car parts? I’d like to see some pictures or video of how well it works.

is a home made sand blasting booth out of the question? It's not as if water stripping something is going to be a very neat (and in clean) process.... You'll get wet, without a doubt.

PseudoSport
PseudoSport Reader
4/27/11 11:35 a.m.

I can see both methods being messy. I have a pressure washer and a hose but my 30 gallon compressor is not really up to the task of sand blasting large parts. This looks like it could be a good option for me without much additional cost.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
4/27/11 11:40 a.m.

In reply to PseudoSport:

I missed the part about the actual Camaro. That I can see. Either you get covered in sand or water- you get to choose.

But for the parts... seems like a booth would a good choice.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
4/27/11 11:53 a.m.

I wonder how hard it would be to build a DIY version of one of these:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_138744_138744

YaNi
YaNi Reader
4/27/11 11:54 a.m.
curtis73 wrote: http://www.watercannon.com/p-173-industrial-wet-sand-blast-system-adjustable-flow.aspx

I has one of dem! Flow rate is more important than pressure. I can't remember the specs on my power washer, but it was about 2800psi @ 2.5gpm and it was not enough with the standard nozzle. I ended up buying some smaller nozzles and it works pretty well. It's brutal to use but gets the job done. You are completely soaked and sandy by the time you are done. Goggles or a full face shield are a must. I don't see how these would work with baking soda though.

curtis73
4/27/11 3:33 p.m.
PseudoSport wrote: Doesn’t soda dissolve in water? How well can that work with a pressure washer?

Yes...but a few reasons why it does not in this case. The soda is pulled into the water stream immediately before it leaves the nozzle, so in the couple milliseconds between the mixing and where it does its work it doesn't have time to dissolve. Second, its injected at pretty high concentrations. Even if it could dissolve, there is way more soda than could be dissolved by the water.

I have a pressure washer and this would be awesome way to clean up a bunch of parts I have kicking around along with a bare engine bay, trunk, door jams and interior of my Camaro. Do you know of anyone using this on rusty car parts? I’d like to see some pictures or video of how well it works.

I couldn't find one that was wet soda blasting that used this type of kit, but here is some wet sandblasting. Ignore the elevator music. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqPiF49DZu4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
i1KB6gPqbpJtJuKogz4aiZV9Kr8tHBKQkfKxFwi9aoFovIXdHVJiwN9VclbwPzBu