Carrera4
Carrera4 Reader
10/27/09 6:36 p.m.

Well the 944 I've worked on and brought back to life goes tomorrow and a Red 1992 Miata with 112K will slot into its place on Thursday. Buying the Miata for $2000. Fully serviced and looked over by a very reputable mechanic in the area, no rust, good miles for the year, new top, new radio.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed HalfDork
10/27/09 6:40 p.m.

Congrats. Can't go wrong with either one of those............I mean the 944 or Miata.

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
10/27/09 6:47 p.m.

How the hell did you find a Miata in that condition for $2000? When I went project-car shopping last November every Miata I saw for $2000 or less was either a rustbucket or a project in pieces!

Carrera4
Carrera4 Reader
10/27/09 8:10 p.m.

Believe me, I've been watching for a looooong time. I was just quick to act, and it snowed here last week. People in New England freak out when it starts to snow and do crazy things like sell their perfectly good summer cars for low $$.

To be fair, it was in an accident at some point in its life, but the repair work looks good, and the car checks out great. It runs straight and true, and the frame is straight. It's been running around after the accident for years, so if anything were going to bust as a result, it would have happened by now.

This will probably see some autocross duty next season!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/27/09 8:11 p.m.

Great score. My first thought was "Those wheels look really cool". Then I realized what they are. Nice.

924guy
924guy Dork
10/27/09 8:13 p.m.

eeek... blasphemy!!

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/27/09 8:16 p.m.

I've never seen a set of those wheels finished that way. If you strip 'em, you'll discover they're actually polished just like that. Interesting!

And nice score.

Carrera4
Carrera4 Reader
10/27/09 9:21 p.m.

I know, the wheels look funky. And if anyone wants to trade a two year old tan top for a black one, let me know.

Josh
Josh HalfDork
10/27/09 9:28 p.m.

I like the wheels done that way, I'm surprised Keith has never seen wheels like that because I know I have. I thought about doing it on the daisys I painted black to use as winter wheels.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/27/09 9:29 p.m.

The wheels remind me of these, only better.

Kia_racer
Kia_racer New Reader
10/27/09 9:39 p.m.

Europa's make any wheel look cool.

Carrera4
Carrera4 Reader
10/28/09 8:01 a.m.
RexSeven wrote: How the hell did you find a Miata in that condition for $2000? When I went project-car shopping last November every Miata I saw for $2000 or less was either a rustbucket or a project in pieces!

Like this: http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/cto/1440293611.html

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Reader
10/28/09 9:01 a.m.

I refinished two sets of wheels that way. Lots of time masking but the look is worth it.

Carrera4
Carrera4 Reader
10/29/09 9:46 a.m.
Keith wrote: I've never seen a set of those wheels finished that way. If you strip 'em, you'll discover they're actually polished just like that. Interesting! And nice score.

Keith, I know you are just happy because you've got me back as a customer ;)

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
10/29/09 9:40 p.m.

Nice find!

...edited... because I'm an idiot.

Carrera4
Carrera4 Reader
10/29/09 9:50 p.m.

Thanks! I actually took delivery this evening and it's in better shape than I thought. One tiny little spot of rust on the whole car. Other than that she's really straight and runs great! I noticed the car pulling to the right, even though an alignment was recently done, and found that the front and rear calipers on the passenger side are dragging. I've rebuilt these before and it's not a bad job at all. Other than that, the car seems like a real gem!

The car was hit at some point and the respray is so-so, but you really can't tell from 5-10 feet away and I'm not complaining because the price was right. The top is even recent within the past 2 years and it's canvas - I totally expected it to be vinyl. That was a nice suprise as well.

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
10/29/09 10:08 p.m.
Carrera4 wrote:
RexSeven wrote: How the hell did you find a Miata in that condition for $2000? When I went project-car shopping last November every Miata I saw for $2000 or less was either a rustbucket or a project in pieces!
Like this: http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/cto/1440293611.html

If that car were for sale around this time last year, I might have bought it instead of my RX-7. Or maybe not- I like my FC.

Anyways, nice score with your car. What club do you run with?

Carrera4
Carrera4 Reader
10/30/09 7:53 a.m.

In reply to RexSeven:

I did quite a few autocrosses with renegade when I had my previous miata. Also a member of the. NCR porsche club. Hoping to do more autox again next year now that my kids are a little older.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rsNyVhWopFTNaf4EmkGu0JZOGwO5P6Q4dBomIFK17pKSTS1oNRHW0bjSQVbSiM4d