nmscot
nmscot None
1/26/10 8:42 p.m.

I'll be returning to Autocrossing this year with a '90 Miata after 16 years. My current plan is to start with Falkin Rt-615 195/60-14s as they are cheap, save street tires, and as a was to start with cost $$ while I figure this out.

The questions what are the "Hot" tires in the Stock Classes in SCCA Solo2 these days? Also what sizes do folks folks run on 14x5.5 wheels?

Thanks! Jim in New Mexico

Ian F
Ian F Dork
1/26/10 8:46 p.m.

Since any DOT tire is allowed, most of the Stock runners in my region run Hossier A6's. A few run Kumho 710's... noobs like me run street tires: last year: Dunlop Direzza Star Specs, this year: probably Kumho XS's until I feel I'm "ready" to spring for some R-comps.

wbjones
wbjones HalfDork
1/26/10 8:59 p.m.

as far as st tires go don't forget the Toyo R1R or the Bridgestone RE-11 or the Hankook RS 3

your choice of the RT 615 might not be a bad choice since it is suppose to be a revised compound... trying to get back in the game I guess.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
1/26/10 9:08 p.m.

for 14", you're looking at R comps or the Falkens. There is no other choice in a street tire.

nmscot
nmscot New Reader
1/26/10 9:12 p.m.

Thanks for comments so far... I'm "getting back in the game" for sure. RT-615 seemed to be a good choice a while back for ST so I figured a good starting point to relearn how to drive to be honest. I think I'll progress this year and be ready to commit to R tires next year. A6 or 710's do seem to get great comments in other forums. I do wonder about sizes. Stock width of 5.5 seems to be a BIG limitation Years ago I ran a CSP MR2 with 13X8's with 225 wide BF R1's and had amazing grip and turn in.

MCarp22
MCarp22 Reader
1/26/10 9:40 p.m.

The RT-615s have served the 14" crowd pretty well in my experience.

wbjones
wbjones HalfDork
1/27/10 6:51 a.m.
mtn wrote: for 14", you're looking at R comps or the Falkens. There is no other choice in a street tire.

my bad... didn't notice the 14" part... but if he moves to a larger rim then my suggestions become a little more valid..

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 HalfDork
1/27/10 6:40 p.m.

What mtn said. 14" makes tire choice limited. Although you could add the Hankook Ventus RS2 to the list of street tires. Have them on my 99 w/14". Although the 615 are better for autocross, the RS2 works well for a street tire that can autocross.

Buzz Killington
Buzz Killington Reader
1/27/10 7:07 p.m.

they don't make the RS-2 any longer, and the RS-3 is 15" and up only.

nmscot wrote: I do wonder about sizes. Stock width of 5.5 seems to be a BIG limitation Years ago I ran a CSP MR2 with 13X8's with 225 wide BF R1's and had amazing grip and turn in.

nah, esp for the Hoosiers. i think the 225s are usually what people are running on the 5.5" wheels...225/50ZR14 A6s should do you fine.

if you haven't driven on "r-compounds" for a while, you're in for a treat.

billy3esq
billy3esq SuperDork
1/27/10 9:30 p.m.

There's more to R-compounds than the Hoosier and V710. One other good autocross choice in 14" is the Kumho Victoracer, which could be driven to/from the events if not shaved too far. They'd be a step behind the Hoosiers and V710s, but a step or two ahead of the Falkens.

You can also go with either the Toyo RA-1 or the Nitto NT-01, which would be a step behind the Victoracers but probably still slightly better than the Falkens. These could also be driven to/from as long as not shaved below legal tread. I've street driven both to/from track events, and both are available in 14" sizes.

There's nothing wrong with the RT-615s if you're getting back in the game, though. In fact, that's probably what I'd do.

nmscot
nmscot New Reader
1/27/10 10:21 p.m.

Thanks. Ordered Rt 615 tires via local Discount Tires dealer today. Cheap and will get me thru the year. I know tires are a big part of any motorsports activity but I think these tires will get me a ways and shocks and a front sway bar upgrade will be next steps.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
1/28/10 12:28 a.m.
nmscot wrote: Thanks. Ordered Rt 615 tires via local Discount Tires dealer today. Cheap and will get me thru the year. I know tires are a big part of any motorsports activity but I think these tires will get me a ways and shocks and a front sway bar upgrade will be next steps.

Nice. We will be ordering and getting ours sometime around the end of February, same size.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
7/7/11 6:35 p.m.

Looking for an update on this thread, what is the current hot set up?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
7/7/11 7:00 p.m.

Checked out the GRM story and found the Dunlop and Hankook from the story are available for my size.

205/55/16

mtn
mtn SuperDork
7/7/11 7:06 p.m.

I'd go for Hankook, having driven on both (different sizes, similar cars).

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Reader
7/7/11 7:33 p.m.

From what I've been reading good luck getting the RS3's.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
7/7/11 7:52 p.m.
clutchsmoke wrote: From what I've been reading good luck getting the RS3's.

Good point. Because RS3's are currently unobtanium, I'd go for the Dunlops

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
7/8/11 6:25 a.m.

I have found a set of the R-S3s but they are over $100 more due to additional shipping, and the GRM comparison shows the R-S3 were a wider tire than the rest making the time difference moot.

Dunlops are looking good

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
7/8/11 4:05 p.m.

i just put 14" RT615k's on my miata a couple weeks ago.

They are pretty good for street tires. Last 14" tire I had was an NT01, which was better, but not until it was hot. Starting at ambient temp the nittos made me look like a fool more than once. The Falkens have been more consistent, but I haven't really had them "hot" yet, so maybe they get greasy. I'm happy so far given what I paid.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0pGGHSbwDtSCp3V5O3A6c4v3qhq4gfLjeV7HA4JKi2i9ITh1p2LE5zh3Mc5DdJ7g