Cotton
Cotton Reader
12/18/08 1:39 p.m.

Looks like it may be time to spend some money on this wife's car. Especially since it doesn't void the warranty:

http://wot.motortrend.com/6399498/auto-news/cheap-speed-gm-rolls-out-650-290-hp-turbo-upgrade-for-solstice-sky-and-hhr/index.html

If you happen to own a Pontiac Solstice GXP, Saturn Sky Red Line or Chevrolet HHR SS and are looking for a few extra ponies, then you're in luck. General Motors has released its LNF engine turbo upgrade boosting power output by 30 hp and torque by at least 55 lb-ft for a nominal price.

Engineers closely heeded the wishes of enthusiastic owners and included in the kit a new engine calibration setting with revised MAP sensors and unlocked learn functionality. The result is a total power output of 290 hp and 340 lb-ft. for Solstice and Sky models featuring the 2.0L ECOtec motor and six-speed manual transmission. Automatic models make a slightly less 325 lb-ft of torque but the overall improvement is significant nonetheless.

Their passenger friendly HHR SS cousin gets the same horsepower rating but with 315 lb-ft of torque heading to the wheels. Also included in the turbo kit upgrade is a "no-lift shift" function as seen on the Cobalt SS that allows drivers to shift into the next gear without lifting off the accelerator, allowing the turbos to keep boost.

Premium fuel is required to run the upgraded setup that carries a $650 price tag at local GM dealers and comes complete with a full warranty. For you Cobalt SS owners, a version for your model is expected to arrive next spring as well. Installation should only take around one hour which leaves us thinking that this might be the best bang for your buck (and watch) around.

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
12/18/08 1:41 p.m.

Nice, especially for the money. Now, let's see how many dealers try and claim that it's a 10 hour job.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
12/18/08 2:14 p.m.

Holy crap...that makes the choice between CTS-V and Sky Redline even harder!!!

Bryce

bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
12/18/08 2:39 p.m.

I'm probably going to do this. All they really give you is the MAP sensor, some hardware and a jumper harness. Then you go to the dealer and have the ECU reflashed. The street price right now is $575. The raised redline and no lift shift are worth it all in themselves, and keeping the factory warranty makes it too good to pass up. But I'm going to wait to see an independant performance test before I buy it.

confuZion3
confuZion3 Dork
12/18/08 2:46 p.m.

I should have bought the stupid Sky Redline last year. Grr. This is pretty awesome though!

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/18/08 2:49 p.m.

For less than $700.00... That's berkeleying awesome!

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/18/08 3:13 p.m.

I wonder if my mom would notice...

Cotton
Cotton Reader
12/18/08 3:14 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: I'm probably going to do this. All they really give you is the MAP sensor, some hardware and a jumper harness. Then you go to the dealer and have the ECU reflashed. The street price right now is $575. The raised redline and no lift shift are worth it all in themselves, and keeping the factory warranty makes it too good to pass up. But I'm going to wait to see an independant performance test before I buy it.

I dynoed ours after we bought it and it got something like 221hp/223tq. I'll have to dig around to find the sheet. I'll dyno after the install of the kit and post the results. Hopefully I can get my hands on the kit in January.

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
12/18/08 3:15 p.m.
Gimp wrote: I wonder if my mom would notice...

Just make like Toyota, and put a magnet under the gas pedal.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Reader
12/18/08 6:04 p.m.

Well, sadly the Solstice might be going away if some of the rumors are true that GM will reduce Pontiac to a one model brand. Apparently if that happens it's between the new G8 and the Solstice,

bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
12/19/08 9:01 a.m.
Cotton wrote:
bravenrace wrote: I'm probably going to do this. All they really give you is the MAP sensor, some hardware and a jumper harness. Then you go to the dealer and have the ECU reflashed. The street price right now is $575. The raised redline and no lift shift are worth it all in themselves, and keeping the factory warranty makes it too good to pass up. But I'm going to wait to see an independant performance test before I buy it.
I dynoed ours after we bought it and it got something like 221hp/223tq. I'll have to dig around to find the sheet. I'll dyno after the install of the kit and post the results. Hopefully I can get my hands on the kit in January.

Yes! Please let me know what kind of gains you see.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cih6Ear0zAC3LDuk6CM6jVo9p7kr2YWuVTE7Gb4nnwUKKaC8J3XKmDzvnLYt8vh1