JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
10/31/14 12:35 p.m.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/ctd/4734478950.html

Also, mad props to the guy for an awesome ad. Totally honest. Lots of photos. That's how it should be done.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
10/31/14 1:31 p.m.

It rains too much here and there's nowhere to race nearby...
someone else, do eet

Tom1200
Tom1200 Reader
10/31/14 1:59 p.m.

JG this may be "slightly" faster than our F500s but even if you just used it as a B-Mod car this would be quite the bargain. My thought after seeing it on BAT was tune the motor to a Group 2 rally spec, run take offs for tires and go racing, while you'd give up 15hp and half second a lap with used tires you would still be going much faster than cars costing five times as much. The down side of course is this car is likely one step beyond for 75% of the folks who fancy the idea of going vintage racing. Driven poorly it would still be 3-4 seconds a lap faster than a modern formula ford, driven well about 8-9 seconds faster. I will say from my D-Sports Racer experience cars at this level are a rush to drive but they just cross the line from fun to serious. You can hang the car out but the margin for error is very thin, especially for club racers and should you get it wrong you'll suddenly realize how fast you really are going. I always compare these to a TZ250 GP bike; look it's a cute little 250, how fast does that go, oh my 150 mph you say and you flat through turn nine...hmm that is quite serious. Again great bargain for a car at this level, I could sell the Datsun and the F500, fit a sports racer body on it and set FTD at local autocross, be the terror of local track days and do a few vintage races a year.

Tom
JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
10/31/14 2:16 p.m.

Also seems like a pretty inexpensive way to race at Indy with SVRA on the schedule there now. With formula cars there's plenty of places for problem$ to hide, but with stuff like this fixing them also frequently means you can update to whatever the latest semi-mass-produced thingamabob is. Ultimately it's all just metal and fiberglass.

Max_Archer
Max_Archer HalfDork
10/31/14 3:29 p.m.

Seems like the rough bodywork would make it a great project for somebody with experience in composites. If we weren't so slammed at my shop and hadn't made too many big investments lately to buy any more projects, I'd almost consider picking it up, since we're very close with a very good carbon fiber/aero company and we have an aero engineer on staff who I'm sure would love coming up with bodywork for this thing.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Reader
10/31/14 3:40 p.m.

I need a bigger shop with more storage.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/31/14 3:41 p.m.

I don't know what I was expecting.. But it sure was not THAT...

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/31/14 3:51 p.m.

while we're at it

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/4721647980.html

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Dork
10/31/14 3:59 p.m.

In reply to Captain, that car has been for sale since last year. Something must be wrong with it.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
10/31/14 4:19 p.m.

Looks at the new shop space, might be worth getting killed by the wife over. Could use the chassis as a start for a kit car idea I have been knocking around.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Reader
10/31/14 4:21 p.m.

@donebrokeit these older aluminum tubs are a bit thin and often they look just find but they've loosened up making the cars total flexi fliers. There is nothing really hard about fixing the tub but they are labor intensive, think reriveting light aircraft and the result is down to the quality of the person doing the work. At a glance I'd expect 150 to 200 hours to bring the car back to life. Balance that against the fact you can buy one of these in good running order for 20k give or take.
I could do most of the work myself with the exception of the tub if that needed work. I would have to put another 3k in it. If you just wanted to get it going you could slap a 150hp mule in it while you sort the chassis. I would also expect to pay a days wages for a real race mechanic/engineer to sort the handling as well.

Tom
RossD
RossD PowerDork
10/31/14 4:28 p.m.
wearymicrobe wrote: Looks at the new shop space, might be worth getting killed by the wife over. Could use the chassis as a start for a kit car idea I have been knocking around.

Like what??? A 1920's-ish Grand Prix car?

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
10/31/14 4:31 p.m.
RossD wrote:
wearymicrobe wrote: Looks at the new shop space, might be worth getting killed by the wife over. Could use the chassis as a start for a kit car idea I have been knocking around.

Very close.

I have a very cool motor hidden from the wife at a friends that I could use for the project.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Reader
10/31/14 5:48 p.m.
wearymicrobe wrote:
RossD wrote:
Very close. I have a very cool motor hidden from the wife at a friends that I could use for the project.

We're listening...

gjz30075
gjz30075 Reader
10/31/14 7:22 p.m.

Was JG's point of this thread about the ad and not the car? I agree, nicely written, formatted so its easy to read. Oh yeah, nice bargain of a race car, too.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5dmckyuJijWTRXgw18TUUycCuTRAO40K6YGYUH43RyucXDbrUoKGWUWOU6X3b2mq