1 2 3
Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/6/14 11:39 a.m.
ryanty22 wrote: I just want to know if there is any logical legitimate explanation for E36 M3 like this?

Fetal alcohol syndrome?

ryanty22
ryanty22 HalfDork
6/6/14 12:46 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
ryanty22 wrote: I just want to know if there is any logical legitimate explanation for E36 M3 like this?
Fetal alcohol syndrome?

Damn thats harsh, like a shot of bad scotch

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/6/14 1:01 p.m.

i'm sorry, but vanilla ice is far from the "youth" of today.

dude's old.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/6/14 1:09 p.m.

I wish I kept the post. A long, long, long time ago, back on our original message board, one of our old-timers listed all of the stuff that he and his friends did to their cars back in the day: dummy spot lights, fake lake pipes, raccoon antenna toppers, fuzzy dice, Lincoln hubcaps, Caddy grilles, extra antennas, etc., etc. It's all the same stuff.

And yes, get off my lawn.

ryanty22
ryanty22 HalfDork
6/6/14 1:14 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: I wish I kept the post. A long, long, long time ago, back on our original message board, one of our old-timers listed all of the stuff that he and his friends did to their cars back in the day: dummy spot lights, fake lake pipes, raccoon antenna toppers, fuzzy dice, Lincoln hubcaps, Caddy grilles, extra antennas, etc., etc. It's all the same stuff. And yes, get off my lawn.

Yeah but was it as senseless as stretching tires and creating a danger to anyone around you when those abused tires give up the ghost

David S. Wallens
6/6/14 1:17 p.m.
ryanty22 wrote:
David S. Wallens wrote: I wish I kept the post. A long, long, long time ago, back on our original message board, one of our old-timers listed all of the stuff that he and his friends did to their cars back in the day: dummy spot lights, fake lake pipes, raccoon antenna toppers, fuzzy dice, Lincoln hubcaps, Caddy grilles, extra antennas, etc., etc. It's all the same stuff. And yes, get off my lawn.
Yeah but was it as senseless as stretching tires and creating a danger to anyone around you when those abused tires give up the ghost

Yes, I'm going to say it's all the same. T-buckets with only rear brakes? Yep.

David S. Wallens
6/6/14 1:18 p.m.

And I'm not saying that it's right, either. I'm just saying that boys will be boys.

Ditchdigger
Ditchdigger UltraDork
6/6/14 1:29 p.m.
patgizz wrote: i'm sorry, but vanilla ice is far from the "youth" of today. dude's old.

Honestly I just googled flatbiller douchebag and that was the first SFW image that came up

ryanty22
ryanty22 HalfDork
6/6/14 1:32 p.m.

He's gotten cooler with the home improvement show

tr8todd
tr8todd HalfDork
6/6/14 1:44 p.m.

My nephew had an early Rabbit with a VR6 and stretched tires on 15X8 wheels. Absolutely the scariest thing I have ever driven. Don't know what was worse; the fact that all the weight of the engine was out in front of the right front wheel, or the fact that the tires had zero grip.

sergio
sergio Reader
6/6/14 1:53 p.m.

What is the world coming to? A little chlorine in the gene pool maybe.

When that crap malfunctions and causes an accident, they'll be the first to sue the tire maker or anyone they can. IDIOTS berkeleyING IDIOTS

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/6/14 2:22 p.m.

When accidents caused by tire malfunctions are increased enough to cause even a 0.1% increase by people stretching tires, then maybe i'll muster the energy to care about what other people are doing to their cars.

But not one second before.

I see hugely stretched tires every day. I've never actually once seen one de-bead or blow out on the street.

I'd prefer to get mad at the Camry next to me with the metal-on-metal brake sounds, cords showing on more than one tire, and with the blown shocks.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/6/14 2:26 p.m.

As an automotive community, we'll look back on this with the same eyes as we do on vans, and Fad Ts, and neon lights and say, "What the berkeley we're we thinking?"

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
6/6/14 2:28 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: When accidents caused by tire malfunctions are increased enough to cause even a 0.1% increase by people stretching tires, then maybe i'll muster the energy to care about what other people are doing to their cars. But not one second before. I see hugely stretched tires every day. I've never actually once seen one de-bead or blow out on the street. I'd prefer to get mad at the Camry next to me with the metal-on-metal brake sounds, cords showing on more than one tire, and with the blown shocks.

This.

Seconded.

Statistically there's far more incompetent drivers on worn brakes or improperly inflated / corded / etc. tires to even make worrying about the stance bros anything more than angry old guys mad at "those damn kids".

As the kids say...

aintcare

EDIT... I added a "hashtag" to aintcare and it formats like that? weird.

series8217
series8217 Reader
6/6/14 2:29 p.m.

Great thread. Whenever I wonder how old someone is, I just have to look up their comments on this topic and I'll know!

ryanty22
ryanty22 HalfDork
6/6/14 2:41 p.m.

Hell im only 33

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/6/14 2:45 p.m.

I'm 28 and run 205 width rubber on 8" wheels. Mostly because i just want to see the world burn.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
6/6/14 2:55 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
ryanty22 wrote:
Yes, I'm going to say it's all the same. T-buckets with only rear brakes? Yep.

Some of it was harmlessly stupid, some of it was dangerously stupid - just like today.

Rusting your hood is harmlessly stupid, just like adding a fake hood scoop to your muscle car.

Horrendously torturing your suspension and driving on -15d camber is dangerously stupid, just like replacing your rear shocks with 1-1/2" steel pipe to get more ridiculous rake than you could with actual suspension bits. Yes, I knew a guy with a clapped out '66 Mustang that did just that, in about 1971. Basically, the leaf springs were just acting like locating arms, not springs.

David S. Wallens
6/6/14 3:08 p.m.

Back 10-ish years, the Honda drag guys were also replacing rear shocks with solid rod, the theory being that it would prevent weight transfer. I'm guessing it was a hell of a ride at the top end of the strip.

I just planted some sod a few weeks ago so, really, stay off my lawn.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/6/14 3:13 p.m.
ryanty22 wrote: He's gotten cooler with the home improvement show

You scared the everloving crap out of me!

I thought they were re-making Tim Allen's "Home Improvement" and Vanilla Ice was going to star in it!

(seriouly, I had to google it to make sure it wasn't true)

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
6/6/14 3:13 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

Just short of that, many were also using wheelie bars to limit rear squat and theoretically keeping more weight forward. Good thing we're next door neighbors so I can tell you think without stepping on your lawn.

David S. Wallens
6/6/14 3:16 p.m.

The wheelie bars I could see since they're spring-loaded. That involved some science. But threaded rod? That's a bit extreme.

My neighbors just planted sod, too. You know, we gotta keep up with each other.

ryanty22
ryanty22 HalfDork
6/6/14 3:26 p.m.
Hungary Bill wrote:
ryanty22 wrote: He's gotten cooler with the home improvement show
You scared the everloving crap out of me! I thought they were re-making Tim Allen's "Home Improvement" and Vanilla Ice was going to star in it! (seriouly, I had to google it to make sure it wasn't true)

No he has a home improvement show, and its pretty funny. The.guys not dumb, he took care of his money for the most part. Does whatever he wants now days. Met him about 10 years ago during his numetal phase. He was a really cool dude

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/6/14 5:28 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: The wheelie bars I could see since they're spring-loaded. That involved some science. But threaded rod? That's a bit extreme.

Wheelie bars + very soft rear springs = wheelbase lengthens substantially under accel.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
6/6/14 6:15 p.m.
Duke wrote: Horrendously torturing your suspension and driving on -15d camber is dangerously stupid, just like replacing your rear shocks with 1-1/2" steel pipe to get more ridiculous rake than you could with actual suspension bits. Yes, I knew a guy with a clapped out '66 Mustang that did just that, in about 1971. Basically, the leaf springs were just acting like locating arms, not springs.

I remember a guy who had a '57 Chevy Nomad wagon. He could only get the rear jacked up so far with air shocks and springs, so he propped up the rear of the body off the frame another six or 8 inches with blocks of wood. Another kid I knew had a '68 4-4-2, and the rear end was so far up in the air that it was difficult to sit in the front seat - I kept sliding off.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NlU2yJzdDwVwC05qUife6SKAfdf4TjLyXgOfrMTOJkc0cBRf70cvUe4sQEpOiaL1