Lucas_W
Lucas_W None
6/8/10 12:00 p.m.

Hi guys.

Im looking for some good lecture about motor builds and chassis set up. I have been on all subaru forums and i'm getting more confused since there is so much inconsistent info. So basically i would like to get some books get myself educated and stop fishing in the dark. Waiting for your input.

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/8/10 12:31 p.m.

Model-specific stuff is sometimes hard to come by, and when you find it, sometimes it's largely opinion (just cause it's been published don't mean it's so).

For chassis setup, Carroll Smith's books are pretty well regarded, I believe. They'll give you a good grounding in the theory. A lot of them are kind of dated, but the underlying info is still good.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic Dork
6/8/10 12:39 p.m.

Chassis Engineering by Herb Adams is pretty good for the basic chassis stuff as well as the Carroll Smith books. If you want to get more in depth, get Race Car Vehicle Dynamics.

Lucas_W
Lucas_W New Reader
6/8/10 2:27 p.m.

thank u Guys :) I'm lokking for general knowledge about diffrent types of susp system. I drive a Subaru so the primary subject to look up would be MacPherson. But i have a wanting of built open wheel ish car in the future. As a motor related books im looking for a book that will guide me thru oil system, cooling system etc. The book that give me some kind of idea what would be the best for dd car and how to pick parts for a race motor build.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
6/8/10 3:34 p.m.

A. Graham Bell (no, not the telephone guy) has some pretty good engine building books.

Schmidlap
Schmidlap Reader
6/8/10 4:00 p.m.

David Vizard's stuff is pretty good for learning about engines, and he's got a lot of stuff online at the forums at GoFastNews. Look in the Technical Articles section.

unevolved
unevolved Reader
6/8/10 4:07 p.m.

Second Carroll Smith's Tune to Win for Kinematics as well as Prepare to Win for some race car setup.

As far as forced induction goes, Maximum Boost by Corky Bell is good (if a little opinionated and outdated, product-wise). I'm reading through How to Tune and Modify Engine Management Systems by Jeff Hartman and love it.

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/9/10 11:06 p.m.

Another one not yet mentioned for chassis setup which gives a decent overview for different types of cars is How to Make Your Car Handle by Fred Puhn. Some of the specific example cars are a bit dated, but the basics are sound and it is fairly accesible for the non-engineer or non-theory nerd.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fUKMxp2uXnhpW1uLF0rFeXQS0gVFQpt6ongpNs3NfmwSgEK1m5fLzLUni1ncT4UE