1 2
autoxrs
autoxrs New Reader
1/21/10 11:51 a.m.

Got this in my inbox, kinda touched my heart... I really did think it was spam. Sometimes it does surprise you.

My name is Marc Veenhuis, and I love nice cars as long as I can remember. I started collecting car emblems & nameplates a couple of years ago, a hobby what is very interesting to me. Due to 6 cerebral infarctions (strokes), I have been in and out hospitals, walking is quite difficult and painful, I cannot use my left arm, hand and leg but I keep trying to use them again step by step by 3 times a week physiotherapy. In my spare time I collect car emblems. Maybe you have got old or slightly damaged or spare emblems you cannot use anymore. I really would love to receive them for my collection, I will appreciate that very much. You'll make me very happy with every badge you can offer me. Thank you for reading my e-mail request. With kind regards and respect, Marc Veenhuis

So I searched for the guy on Google and found this picture:

Maybe I'll get Mark at McB to search through the shop and find some emblems, cuz really that guy sounds like he'd fit well into the GRM world. P.S the guy did list an address, so if any of you want I can send it to you. Something-something helping good people... karma...

mtn
mtn SuperDork
1/21/10 11:58 a.m.

Thats pretty cool. I like the MG and the old school SAAB emblems.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Dork
1/21/10 12:11 p.m.

delorean badge at about noon in the pic FTMFW

EDIT:
If Tim et al. in the GRM HQ team have no gripes, I might be able to cast a GRM badge out of Aluminum and paint it for this guy if a hi res car style logo exists anywhere. I have some contacts who can mill me a pattern out of MDF in a CNC machine...
butlerbmx (at) yahoo

might be kinda cool as a gift for this guy, or just to have for other fans too,

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/21/10 12:17 p.m.

I really like this old Mazda badge:

RossD
RossD Dork
1/21/10 12:23 p.m.

Whats the "DD" logo near the Maserati and Citroens?

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/21/10 12:24 p.m.

Even without the rotor, that old Mazda one is a cool design. It was on my parents RX4 when I was a kid. I think Mazda should make more use of it. Those who have been to FM Westfield might notice something similar :) At least Mazda has retained their logotype as they keep changing their emblem.

As for this guy, I have a collection of odd badges I pulled off some cars in the bush in Australia. Please to give me his address.

Automotive badge design is really interesting stuff, I love to see the variations of a single identity over the years.

autoxrs
autoxrs New Reader
1/21/10 12:29 p.m.

Keith: I sent you the guy's address, since it is a Netherlands address let me know if you want me to Paypal you some $$$. If I had any cool emblems I'd send the guy some.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
1/21/10 12:31 p.m.

Didja see the Avanti emblem almost dead center?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/21/10 12:33 p.m.
Keith wrote: Automotive badge design is really interesting stuff, I love to see the variations of a single identity over the years.

Hemmings Sports and Exotics does a page on emblem history every month.

As a bonus, they have Satch Carlson, too.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/21/10 4:45 p.m.

Thanks autoxrs. No need for a donation. Let me look through my collection and see what I have that might interest him.

mel_horn
mel_horn Dork
1/21/10 4:47 p.m.
RossD wrote: Whats the "DD" logo near the Maserati and Citroens?

Easy! Daily Driver!

Actually if you look at the second D it isn't quite the same as the first one, more like a B. So could it be Deutsch Bonnet?

mtn
mtn SuperDork
1/21/10 5:21 p.m.
mel_horn wrote:
RossD wrote: Whats the "DD" logo near the Maserati and Citroens?
Easy! Daily Driver! Actually if you look at the second D it isn't quite the same as the first one, more like a B. So could it be Deutsch Bonnet?

I'd bet Dodge Brothers if its DB

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Reader
1/21/10 5:46 p.m.

I bet you'd make the guy's day if you wrote and asked him what it was, or offered thoughts if he's wondering too.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Reader
1/21/10 5:50 p.m.

That's the Deutsch-Bonnet logo. If you go to the website for the Friends of Deutsch-Bonnet and Panhard you can see the second letter is a B.

DrBoost
DrBoost Dork
1/21/10 5:54 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: delorean badge at about noon in the pic FTMFW EDIT: If Tim et al. in the GRM HQ team have no gripes, I might be able to cast a GRM badge out of Aluminum and paint it for this guy if a hi res car style logo exists anywhere. I have some contacts who can mill me a pattern out of MDF in a CNC machine... butlerbmx (at) yahoo might be kinda cool as a gift for this guy, or just to have for other fans too,

If you do this, let me know. I'd be interested in buying one or two.

modernbeat
modernbeat HalfDork
1/21/10 7:47 p.m.

Every time I see the early Mazda logo...

...I think of the Muzak logo.

shadetree30
shadetree30 Dork
1/21/10 8:37 p.m.

^^^But which would you rather listen to?

shadetree30
shadetree30 Dork
1/21/10 8:41 p.m.
mtn wrote: I'd bet Dodge Brothers if its DB

The Dodge Brothers logo was an intertwined D and B inside what resembles a Star of David.The local Dodge dealer saved a window with this design from the old dealership.

Drewsifer
Drewsifer Reader
1/21/10 9:28 p.m.

Actually I'd be interested in a GRM emblem too. I wish I had something to send this guy.

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 Reader
1/22/10 1:20 a.m.

That kind of makes me want to start collecting emblems, that guy looks like he has a cool collection there!

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
1/22/10 1:45 a.m.

I think I might just send him the H's off my old accord, they may not be rare, but it was my first car so it was special to me.

RedS13Coupe
RedS13Coupe Reader
1/22/10 2:43 a.m.

How bad have the scammers and spammers ruined it for everyone.

So jaded that even reading your post I was ready to jump in and tell you what a fool you were for falling for it.

Then I got to the bit about google, and the picture. Well put in my place I guess. How unfortunate that we have to be untrusting.

What an awesome collection.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/22/10 3:36 a.m.
DrBoost wrote:
4cylndrfury wrote: delorean badge at about noon in the pic FTMFW EDIT: If Tim et al. in the GRM HQ team have no gripes, I might be able to cast a GRM badge out of Aluminum and paint it for this guy if a hi res car style logo exists anywhere. I have some contacts who can mill me a pattern out of MDF in a CNC machine... butlerbmx (at) yahoo might be kinda cool as a gift for this guy, or just to have for other fans too,
If you do this, let me know. I'd be interested in buying one or two.

Add me to that list. I'm at a loss for any cool emblems around here, if I had seen this a year or so ago I could have really helped out, but they all went to the scrapper.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam Dork
1/22/10 5:36 a.m.

I need to find that guy some Saturn badges, if he doesn't have them already. Maybe a black one off of a Homecoming Edition car...

autoxrs
autoxrs New Reader
1/22/10 8:50 a.m.
RedS13Coupe wrote: How bad have the scammers and spammers ruined it for everyone. So jaded that even reading your post I was ready to jump in and tell you what a fool you were for falling for it. Then I got to the bit about google, and the picture. Well put in my place I guess. How unfortunate that we have to be untrusting. What an awesome collection.

When I got the email my finger instantly wanted to delete, glad I didn't.

Another picture found on the web:

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3iX6f94lcFR9tZ5B3SHpGDUGr9AyhD8c19M7e9CCLFck6unuUjCnoX5S6OWuZEui