1 2
rudes333
rudes333 New Reader
5/11/19 1:13 p.m.

Well just like the title states, I am going to be a dad soon (Jan 2).  I am a firefighter/ paramedic down here in South Florida. Been driving a 2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 Extended Cab (3 door) for the last 5 years. It’s been a good truck but it’s not going to fit a backwards facing car seat and it’s super boring to drive. I have been ok with it because I do have a fun little 94 Miata as a fun/track toy.

So I am in the market now for something new or new to me (used)

- 4 Doors

- Fun to drive

-Safe

- Manual transmission (not a deal breaker)

- Wagon or hatch (not a deal breaker)

- Under $15,000 

- Under $10,000 I can keep the truck too

I was thinking of Focus ST, VW GTI, or 4 door Civic SI but wife suggested something a bit more grownup (not a no tho). So was thinking a BMW wagon or the Acura TSX wagon. A car isn’t out the equation as long as I can put a roof rack on it for my waterman toys and bikes.

Thanks for reading and any help/suggestions 

Here are some pics. Everyone loves pics

rudes333
rudes333 New Reader
5/11/19 1:16 p.m.

rudes333
rudes333 New Reader
5/11/19 1:16 p.m.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/11/19 1:25 p.m.

Mazda5

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/11/19 1:41 p.m.

What's your wife drive? 

How tall are you? 

How tall is wife? 

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
5/11/19 1:44 p.m.

Your truck is sweet!!

I've got a 7 month old. We bought an 05 Cayenne S as a 'kid car'. It has some downsides, mpg being a big one. It is however sporty fun and full of v8 noises. I'd definitely recommend one (i.e. any cayenne you can afford in general, there's a big range under 15k) if you're doing your own work and don't drive enough for the mpg to be a big deal. 

I do like TSX wagons as far as looks but it's pretty slow with the automatic. In terms of objective performance it's closer to a CR-V than a Civic Si. Probably slower than your truck (depending which engine you have). So, you've really got to value the looks and dynamics of it. A bmw wagon with the 3.0 is still a quick car, but you're going way down in quality to get it compared to a TSX. The likelihood of having to work under the hood and of parts of your interior going to E36 M3 is about 300% higher. 

rudes333
rudes333 New Reader
5/11/19 1:51 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

2010 Acura TL

I am 6ft 235lbs

She is 5’9

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
5/11/19 2:13 p.m.

Welcome to parenthood.    As much as I despise Minivans, they are the answer for families.

Sure 1 kid now, but the 2nd kid and dog are soon.         

Or,  Buy a SuperCrew F150 with dual bench seats

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/11/19 2:22 p.m.

FWIW, a backward facing child seat will probably fit fine in the truck (in the middle) if your front seat is not a bench.

ronholm
ronholm Dork
5/11/19 2:26 p.m.

2nd the comment about minivans....      They are the best tool for the job and a sign of your virility.

Power sliding doors in a close parking lot with a toddler hand in yours and a baby carrier in the other just cannot be beat.

Seriously...   does any REALLY think that lifted station wagon they call an SUV is really better looking or more fun to drive than todays near 300hp minivans?    

rudes333
rudes333 New Reader
5/11/19 2:36 p.m.

The wife is going to be getting a SUV. So that’s why my car just needs to fit a car seat  comfortably  and be fun to drive. Her vehicle is going to be the main family hauler 

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
5/11/19 2:57 p.m.

Probably one of the two of you is going to want a minivan.  Well . . . maybe "need" is a better word than "want".  You can get away with something with a non-slider as a "secondary kid hauler", but you will eventually want something with sliders as a primary.  For the next several years, you'll always have something heavy in one hand (kid+carseat) and bulky (diaper bag) in the other.  You can fight it if you want to, but there is no substitute for sliders.  Some things are inevitable.  

Might want to shop for jorts and clip-on sunglasses while you're out test driving.  

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
5/11/19 3:00 p.m.

Wife has a Mazda5, I had a miata as a DC before parenthood. Got an expedition and tow a f500 now. Expedition isn't fun to drive.

The 5, ours is an auto and it's a bit anemic. Manual might be better. Plus I dislike fwd.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/11/19 3:08 p.m.

I'm busy wrangling the hooligans this afternoon (ages 4.5 and 1.5) so I'll write you more later but my main points will be:

1. Change as little as you have to
  2. Understand or make your choice in car seats
  3. The real car seat challenge comes about age 2. 
Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/11/19 3:22 p.m.

I bought a Focus RS as my “Daddy car”

It fits two rear facing seats in the back and still haul two adult passengers.

It isn’t within your price range, yet. But the Focus ST is almost as much fun and has depreciated decently well.

Worth a look anyway.

My wife had a SUV, then the second kid came and the Minivan made much more sense as her car was on its last legs.  Honestly, putting car seats/carriers in and out of an SUV gets old and then you have to fit the stroller in the trunk, plus the diaper bag and if you’ve been shopping.... a minivan with the rear seat folded will swallow all of that without an issue and your back will thank you.

Our Pacifica Hybrid has been great, moves along decently and with the Hybrid option it gets good mileage for a vehicle it’s size.

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
5/11/19 4:03 p.m.

Buick Roadmaster.

rattfink81
rattfink81 New Reader
5/11/19 4:36 p.m.

I’m 6’3 and 220lbs(on a good day), wife’s 5’6 and like 120lbs plus we have 2 little ones, ones in rear facing seat and the other a forward facing seat. 

We all fit fairly comfortably in the 3 cars we own. 07 Versa hatch, 11 Vw GTI 4dr, and 08 Mitsubishi Raider 4dr pick up. 

The truck doesn’t really work if all four of us go shopping as there’s no we’re to put stuff and the stroller has to ride in the bed. 

The other two work great thou the wife’s Versa is a little cramped for me on anything over a hour or two. 

So I recommend finding a decent 4dr or wagon that fits you budget and you can live with. 

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
5/11/19 4:44 p.m.

Our 5th Chrysler minivan:

I decided to give my wife something she deserved. Test drove Yukon’s and Tahoe’s but she really liked this much more. 2019 Chrysler Pacifica S

(Pictures from the ‘net are exactly what we have. Color, wheels, everything.)

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/11/19 4:51 p.m.

I did rear facing in a mazdaspeed 3 and a mini cooper s. The dream can still work. 

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/11/19 5:37 p.m.

Might not be able to find one in your price range, but you know what you really want. 

Drink in the dad-ittude.  

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
5/11/19 6:08 p.m.

Get a carseat now, and bring it with you when you shop. There's a huge range of both back seat space and car seat size and it's hard to find meaningful measurements for either. 

For instance - I'm about your size and could not fit our infant seat behind either the driver or passenger in my Focus ST. 

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/11/19 6:50 p.m.

Volvo 7xx wagon, add the 16v head and OE turbo bits 

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
5/11/19 7:10 p.m.
pinchvalve said:

Might not be able to find one in your price range, but you know what you really want. 

Drink in the dad-ittude.  

No slider, so . . .

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/11/19 7:12 p.m.
John Welsh said:

I'm busy wrangling the hooligans this afternoon (ages 4.5 and 1.5) so I'll write you more later but my main points will be:

1. Change as little as you have to

Oh, there will be enough change coming your way already! 

So, let me get this straight:

Current:

• '00 Extended Cab Pickup
  • Miata
  • '10 Acura TL

Planned:

• New SUV for Mom
  • New sedan for Dad
  • Truck might stay
  • No mention of the Miata's fate
  • Expecting the Acura to leave 

If that is correct, is this really the best time for new/different car payments?  New or newer SUV for Mom.  Possible additional car for Dad.

Child birth can have a lot of financial variables, even with good insurance.  I propose a wait and see strategy. 

I'm not unconvinced that the 2010 Acura TL is not sufficient.  If Mom really wants (not needs) an SUV could the Acura be Dad's new daily driver?  This plan means you only add one vehicle.  

I am sure that the infant seat can be fit to the rear seat of the Pickup truck.  The truck's front seat might have to go forward (but test this.)  It will be rare that Dad and Mom will both be in the truck together.  For just Dad and Baby this should be fine.  

EDIT: with the truck being a 3-door.  Does that solo rear door open on the driver's side or passenger side?  

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/11/19 7:39 p.m.

In you situation, I'd take the TL from your wife and see how that works. Should be able to fit a rear-facing car seat without issue.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pmWFP9xFIoy5WaSx90cUYGavKQAzr86TJTngWoT6cvoVRoKlozvN1tRw6Q9QSbwd