1 2
turtl631
turtl631 Reader
12/8/17 11:33 a.m.

In reply to ebonyandivory :

I've had no issues here in Milwaukee.  I drove a golf r twice and my wife drove it too.  No questions asked.  VW is supposedly really stingy with test drives.  I've also driven new M235i, Evo X, Fiesta ST, BRZ...  Nobody has ever denied me a drive.  I show up in t shirt etc and make it clear I'm not imminently buying if I'm not.  Sometimes in cheap cars like our Mazda3 hatch.  Must be really dealer dependent.

turtl631
turtl631 Reader
12/8/17 11:39 a.m.

Regarding main topic... I'm curious about this too. How do people keep Subarus together in rally but they blow up with street driving?  I'd probably want a good dyno tune from a place with motorsports experience.

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
12/8/17 12:07 p.m.

In reply to turtl631 :

It's almost always all about the tune. There's a lot of hacks out there masquerading as experts or people who think they can just hop in and adjust the boost tables with their fancy new Accessport. While I love making a few ECU adjustments to gain more power, better response and having the thing to actually idle, there's a science to it and most cars don't respond well to trial and error.

Then there's the guy I used to work with that somehow sucked a bunch of water into his STi's engine then rebuilt (had it rebuilt) with forged internals and tried to tune it himself.... yea...

plain92
plain92 New Reader
12/8/17 12:23 p.m.

Why not Evo? Weather here doesn't really need AWD, but there seem to be many more WRXs than Evos for whatever reason. I don't know much about either but the Mitsu uses a twin scroll turbo I believe and Mitsu has good history with turbochargers. Maybe the Subaru wins more rally events I'm not sure. Let's be honest 90% of WRX owners aren't interested in rally events smiley

For the track it is AWD, but it's also a ~3000 lb 300 hp car rather than a 2000 lb 200 hp car for example. Use all good fluids, high temp brake pads, consider adding an oil cooler and/or performance shrouding for your radiator and hood vent, front mount intercooler, being able to switch to an E85 dyno tune might also be cool.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/8/17 12:31 p.m.

Only a few new ones left, and I really wanted the DCT transmission. But apparently they go into limp mode after 1-2 laps without a huge additional cooler in addition to the factory trans cooler. And the AWD system is supposedly a pain to flush/bleed, poor dealer network, etc. 

Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
12/8/17 12:47 p.m.
docwyte said:

Back in 2008 My S4 got totalled.  I was interested in the new Evo X.  Walked into the Mitsu dealer, gave them my card (Look, it says Dr. and everything!) and asked to drive one.  Nope!  Told them there's no way I'm giving them $35-40k for a car I haven't driven.  They suggested I sign a sales contact and if I don't like the car after the drive, they'd tear it up.  Nope!

Didn't buy an Evo X.  Ironically the Porsche dealer had no issue with throwing me the keys to a much more expensive 911 and telling me to pound on it some.

I understand it to some degree, but there's a point where you have to let the customer try out the goods before purchase...

Precisely, And it should come down to a summation of character. Obviously, Dr. Moneybags isn’t going to put the car into a telephone pole. (Although that could happen to anyone at anytime). Whereas, if “Brian O’connor” with the flat brim hat and baggy jeans walks in, turn him out the door. 

Should it be this way? No. But let’s face it, my ‘85 celica isn’t welcome at the country club. 

plain92
plain92 New Reader
12/8/17 2:20 p.m.

Dr. Moneybags: I'd like a Shelby. Salesman: Cobra? GT350

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
12/8/17 8:35 p.m.

LOL!  Well, this "Dr. Moneybags" got told "NO!" for an Evo X test drive.  Unfortunately, I rolled up in my '90 Cherokee since my S4 had been totaled already.  Already had the pay out, I was a buyer that day (!!) if I liked the car.  All of which I told the salesman.  To no avail....

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
q8I70h5UGK3zq9XLqoyTocCvu8DCHeJl2rY973hhMy1Kvx2WLmOF9lw8khRarpMp