1 2
mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
2/24/15 11:32 p.m.
plance1 wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
plance1 wrote:
Zomby Woof wrote: It's your own fault for calling him. Never, ever do that when you have something for sale.
Hmmmm. I never heard that one before.... I agree with you though, up until a point. For example, I never, never put my phone number in any ad. But at some point I think verbal communication has to occur and I thought I reached that point. Oh how wrong I was. I hung up on him and then I sent him an email which I won't reprint here because I know there are young, impressionable kids on here who might be a bit unsettled with what I wrote. Basically I noted that explaining to him why I wasn't able to call him back right away doesn't constitute telling a person my life story (very dull, not worth the amount I am asking for the TH400) and that telling me he has cancer is in fact telling me HIS life story. I reminded him that I in fact was willing to take the dang thing to him. Hes now sending me emails such as this: "its Hillers like you who put in a Craigslist ad in and are just too STUPIT!!! to just make the sale easy. Like I care about your tax mood. Just sell the item. Tried to make it easy but your just stupit. Once a hiller always a hiller no matter where he lives." So now I'm a "hiller" I think he means Hitler? Or does he know that I live on a hill? I don't know anymore...
Why are you still talking to this guy? The dude was right all along... "Let it go".
Because it makes for a good story and it gives our fellow grmers a chance to practice their puns. A witty bunch these guys....although I have to say the latest comments aren't as funny as the earlier ones, you could say the quality of the jokes is, you know, slipping a little....

Some people just aren't geared for such an exchange.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Reader
2/25/15 1:21 a.m.

Oh come on! There's gotta be a "manual" for all this "shtick"!

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/25/15 6:50 a.m.

If you are lucky, he's got a massage therapist treating his cancer and the emails will stop soon.

Idiots like that are the reason I just haul the crap to the scrap yard. It's not worth the time and energy to sell the stuff.

DLD
DLD New Reader
2/27/15 8:50 p.m.

I don't know where all of you are located, but here in North Central CA I've had really good luck both selling and buying on CL. And you guys are seriously demented and funny!

DLD

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/28/15 7:51 a.m.
jr02518 wrote: I have a 5 speed for a BMW 320 sitting in a cool, dry storage space. Purchased it 15 years ago with just over 100k miles for $100. The passage of time and the growing demand of the 2002 clan pinning for one more thing to make their cars drivable has give me an idea. I will trade, straight across, for a Mazda Miata NA hard top. Red or white. Now, I think I will start on Craig's list.

i had so many no-shows that with cheap stuff i resorted to "the part is sitting on the hood of my parts truck. if you like it take the part and leave the cash under the seat"

that has worked way better than trying to wait out no-shows.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/28/15 8:34 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: If you are lucky, he's got a massage therapist treating his cancer and the emails will stop soon. Idiots like that are the reason I just haul the crap to the scrap yard. It's not worth the time and energy to sell the stuff.

Yeah, if it's worth less thsn $250 then it's not worth the hassle.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
2/28/15 9:14 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: Idiots like that are the reason I just haul the crap to the scrap yard. It's not worth the time and energy to sell the stuff.

I've had good luck getting rid of stuff on CL by putting it in the "free" section. Stuff is usually gone in a matter of hours that way, often in a matter of minutes. The only problem is the number of calls you get way before anyone has a chance to show up. Even if you tell them first come, first served, if the first person gets there and takes it, you get pissed people showing up 5 minutes later because they left their house the moment they called and it wasn't gone yet. I feel sorry for those people because they came as fast as they could in good faith.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
2/28/15 2:49 p.m.

Related story.

Helped my parents sell their CRV this last week.
Ad went up, they got 30 or so responses in the first day, sold it on the evening of the second.
My mom calls me to tell me it sold and that she is going to email or call back the 29 other people.
I told her she's out of her berkeleying mind, but she's insisting that that's 'the right thing to do'

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/28/15 10:40 p.m.

I have a few things on CL now. I have go a few emails asking if my "whatever" is still available, and when I promptly reply "yes it is" I never hear back.

Contradiction
Contradiction Reader
3/2/15 9:34 a.m.

I find the scammer emails asking me to ship more annoying then actual phone calls or texts to be honest. If you get 30-50 emails maybe 3 of them are from someone that is a real person and is legitimately interested. I always reply with "Yes it's still for sale. I live in ___ and could drive a reasonable distance to meet you. Where are you located?" 98% of the time they don't email again. I'd rather leave my phone number. I'd hate to be harassed like the OP has after I gave out my phone number, but at least then you know it isn't just a check fraud scam from the get go.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Reader
3/2/15 10:17 a.m.

dealing with the flip side of trying to find a project f100 right now. I've had only one pleasant experience where the dude let me know it was sold.

other reactions:

pissed that I had called them. "I sold it" (then remove the ad idiot) Replied to every email until I ask to see the vehicle, then fall off the face of the planet. Posted one picture then respond to requests for more pictures or info with "you gotta seeit"

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/2/15 10:18 a.m.
Chris_V wrote: I've had good luck getting rid of stuff on CL by putting it in the "free" section. Stuff is usually gone in a matter of hours that way, often in a matter of minutes. The only problem is the number of calls you get way before anyone has a chance to show up. Even if you tell them first come, first served, if the first person gets there and takes it, you get pissed people showing up 5 minutes later because they left their house the moment they called and it wasn't gone yet. I feel sorry for those people because they came as fast as they could in good faith.

Why bother with CL for free crap? I put it out on my curbside with a sign that says FREE taped to it. I've never had anything stay there until nightfall, let alone overnight. Most of it's gone in under 2 hours with no further input on my part, and its not like I live in a big city.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
3/2/15 10:41 a.m.

Here's how I operate.

Good pictures. Minimal but required details. Mileage, condition, recent repairs, inspected/not inspected. When I'm available to show the item/vehicle.

When they email me, I just reply with "yes it is still available, please call me at the following number."

I haven't had many issues with scammers. I did have a guy from TX who called me odd hours just wanting to talk.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
3/2/15 12:11 p.m.
Duke wrote:
Chris_V wrote: I've had good luck getting rid of stuff on CL by putting it in the "free" section. Stuff is usually gone in a matter of hours that way, often in a matter of minutes. The only problem is the number of calls you get way before anyone has a chance to show up. Even if you tell them first come, first served, if the first person gets there and takes it, you get pissed people showing up 5 minutes later because they left their house the moment they called and it wasn't gone yet. I feel sorry for those people because they came as fast as they could in good faith.
Why bother with CL for free crap? I put it out on my curbside with a sign that says FREE taped to it. I've never had anything stay there until nightfall, let alone overnight. Most of it's gone in under 2 hours with no further input on my part, and its not like I live in a big city.

LOL … I've had better luck with putting it curbside with a $25 sign on it … it either disappears or I actually get some money

if I just put up a sign that says free, sometimes it can take 3 or 3 days to get gone

sevenracer
sevenracer Reader
3/2/15 8:54 p.m.

I've had mixed, but mostly good results selling stuff on Craigslist.

I recently sold an iPhone - tons of interest - lots of stupid, cryptic texts. Wasn't sure if people were idiots or I am just old (maybe both). But ultimately got good money for little effort.

Funniest one was a free houseplant - probably got 40-50 emails/texts in 8 hours. Tried to honor the first people who responded, but ultimately picked someone who lived very close and could craft a coherent text. I had someone write me saying "I know what kind of plant that is, be careful sure others do too." Was briefly concerned I had inadvertently posted an ad similar to how others might move "merchandise".

I did create a GoogleVoice number just for craigslist stuff, so if I get some whack job who won't leave me alone, I can just cancel the number.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
3/3/15 1:55 a.m.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5VVvAyrBXl4v4ltMEy2anXyd796jRGU9jQvLD8sNdTdbkawtKjigNubVf0Lr3i31