walterj
walterj Dork
4/6/09 9:24 a.m.

Searching the archives finds a lot of people asking WTB... searching interwebs finds lots of options that might work for $275 or more.

I need a set of flares that have the same basic radius as an E30 rear wheel well to give me about 2" of additional width that are as close to free as possible... the kind with divots that pop rivet are fine. I figured they would be easy to source for under $50... just some plastic, right? That is apparently not the case inless you are doing a Jeep or a pickup.

Next: I need to roll the bodywork on the front fenders - have used a baseball bat in the past but had poor results making more creases and dents than I'd like. Any good advice on how to make a smooth stretch instead? I have a lot of 1.75" steel tubing and was thinking I could make some kind roller that bolts to the hub...

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Reader
4/6/09 9:29 a.m.

Apparently the wheels on a boat trailer that roll the boat up into the frame are ideal for this. Probably woundt be too hard for a fabricator of meager skill to fab up an adjustable arm with one of these wheels and attach it to a hubplate with a bearing that will allow it to be spun around the inside of the fender and apply pressure evenly. I also know that people use heat guns to soften the fender/paint to avoid creases/paint cracks. Ive often thought about learning to weld so I could try to make one of these. I dont think it would be too hard to do.

just my .02

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Reader
4/6/09 9:32 a.m.

Eastwood fender rolling tool Works like a dream and worth every penny if you figure the cost over years of projects. Some clubs buy them and share/rent them so if you're on a budget just try to borrow one.

sachilles
sachilles Reader
4/6/09 9:32 a.m.

search ebay for corolla flare, and there will be some cheaper flares that may work.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/6/09 9:35 a.m.

http://classicmotorsports.net/forum/classic-cars/economy-source-for-imsa-flares/118/page1/

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Reader
4/6/09 9:36 a.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote: Eastwood fender rolling tool Works like a dream and worth every penny if you figure the cost over years of projects. Some clubs buy them and share/rent them so if you're on a budget just try to borrow one.

but I wonder how hard/cost saving it would be to try to DIY using this as a template?

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Reader
4/6/09 9:51 a.m.

It depends on how much free stuff and equipment you have laying around I'm sure an improved version could be imagineered but you'd really need the original on hand for comparison. Considering my tires were eating themselves on mild corners and I had an event to prep for buying rather than building was a no brainer. Its since been used on 6 other cars with a 7th lined up-so whether you buy or build you could easily recoup some cost by renting it out.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Reader
4/6/09 10:03 a.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote: could be imagineered

I have my PHD from the U.S.I.E (Useless School for Imagined Edumacation)

walterj
walterj Dork
4/6/09 10:09 a.m.
sachilles wrote: search ebay for corolla flare, and there will be some cheaper flares that may work.

There are a lot of flares out there that are cheap - how do i know what is a reasonable candidate?

Corrola, Camry, 240/300z all have stuff available - are you saying Corrola from experience?

walterj
walterj Dork
4/6/09 10:13 a.m.

Hmmmm.... that rolling tool gives me an idea - I think if I just mount a steelie on there and weld an adjustable machinery caster to it I can turn the wheel and adjust the thread a little at a time...

mw
mw Reader
4/6/09 10:44 a.m.

I've seen one made using a vw jack a roller and a universal wheel spacer

sachilles
sachilles Reader
4/6/09 11:00 a.m.

no experience with corrolla to Bmw. I just noticed a larger portion of the flares on ebay were tagged with "corolla".

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Reader
4/6/09 11:49 a.m.
walterj wrote: Hmmmm.... that rolling tool gives me an idea - I think if I just mount a steelie on there and weld an adjustable machinery caster to it I can turn the wheel and adjust the thread a little at a time...

you would have to make the casters radius from the hub adjustable. Unless the fender edge is a perfect circle and that circle's center is exactly at the center of the hub through the entire radius, it wont line up. But thats a very good start

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/6/09 12:12 p.m.

Harbor freight now sells the exact same unit as the eastwood, but cheaper.

walterj
walterj Dork
4/6/09 12:29 p.m.
Gimp wrote: Harbor freight now sells the exact same unit as the eastwood, but cheaper.

Problem solved.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=98793

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/6/09 12:51 p.m.

WOWSERS!

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
4/6/09 1:07 p.m.
walterj wrote:
Gimp wrote: Harbor freight now sells the exact same unit as the eastwood, but cheaper.
Problem solved. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=98793

OH HOLY CRAP!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CapuBzqueQLl3G2GPEBoqNb1sDJWU2i2pbhqbbqvCcFroV3t2XmkLpV7ItBFcfLn