Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/28/17 4:17 p.m.

So, apparently ford used different starters between the manual and automatic transmissions.

Difference between the two is about 3/8. Manual is shallower.

I have one from the automatic.

Can i stack some washers under the mounting bolts to make up that 3/8 and re-use the automatic starter? Or am i asking for trouble and should eat the 50 bucks in the challenge budget?

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/28/17 5:17 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

I don't know the right answer, but if it were me I'd drop the $50 for the correct starter for now, and if it'll work for the Challenge shim up the original one for the ~half-dozen times you'll be starting it in Gainesville. I've been saving old parts off the Vette for that very reason.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
5/28/17 6:07 p.m.

Two issues come to mind.

1. Don't Ford starters locate by fitting it into a hole in the bellhousing? Without the starter in the hole it might move over and run the gear lash too wide.

2. Spaced out like that you're moving all the force into the area immediately around the bolt holes, might bend/break things and/or force misalignment of the gears. A starter makes something like 2-3HP, and applies it pretty violently.

Also, this PDF goes into detail on what combo needs what, seems a lot of manual applications (157 tooth flywheel) actually use the auto starter. http://static.speedwaymotors.com/images/pdf/91067433.pdf

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/28/17 6:25 p.m.

Theres a nub in the bellhousing that isn't present in the automatic. My starter is correct gear count, but wrong nose length.

God points though, and ones i hadn't thought of.

Looks like im buying a starter.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/28/17 7:02 p.m.
Pete Gossett wrote: In reply to Dusterbd13: I don't know the right answer, but if it were me I'd drop the $50 for the correct starter *for now*, and if it'll work for the Challenge shim up the original one for the ~half-dozen times you'll be starting it in Gainesville. I've been saving old parts off the Vette for that very reason.

When I presented the idea of a push start only BMW 2002 to my teammates they didn't like the idea. I tried to sell them on the weight savings but they kept arguing about me having to be the one that popped the clutch each time.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/28/17 7:07 p.m.

Hmm....

Push start. No battery pr starter. Theres 75 pounds.....

Stampie
5/28/17 7:13 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

Just explain to your teammates that you are the only one with the special skills required to pop the clutch without damaging the delicate race car.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
5/28/17 7:13 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

You'd still need a small battery ($20 lawn mower special would work) to power the ignition (and fuel pump and ECU if it has EFI) until the alternator is spooled up. Or run a normal size deep cycle and no starter or alternator.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/29/17 7:12 a.m.

Yep, alternators don't work without a battery to first excite the field. And they don't cotton to running without a battery as a load-smoothing device. I've seen alternator ripple go from 104mv to 10mv just from changing out a failed battery to a good one. (And stalling/cutting out when you touch the brakes or add other momentary loads is a clue that your battery died or a cable lost connection)

Now, if you had a generator, then you don't need a battery.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
5/29/17 1:36 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

No battery, magneto ignition ?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/29/17 2:04 p.m.

We already had a battery from the donor lincoln, si i have one....

But im fat. Short of amputation, theres very little remaining weight reduction from race weight of the car and driver combo. I may try to trade lincoln battery for a lawnmower battery.

Florida is prettu flat, anf this thing is temperamental to start. Pushing would suck. But.....

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
5/29/17 3:31 p.m.

You only have to push start a few times, right? What about using another vehicle to accomplish the pushing?

I do wonder what the judges would think of such a situation...

Stampie
5/29/17 3:46 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

One teammate did come up with the idea of parking it on the trailer at each shut off time. Then rolling off the trailer would make it easier to push start. As I'm typing this I'm amazed at the ideas we actually seriously discuss in the name of the Challenge.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/29/17 3:53 p.m.

Lsd? Lift rear wheels and use a 3ft extension bar.

Open diff? Lift one rear wheel.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/29/17 3:57 p.m.
Stampie wrote: In reply to Dusterbd13: One teammate did come up with the idea of parking it on the trailer at each shut off time. Then rolling off the trailer would make it easier to push start. As I'm typing this I'm amazed at the ideas we actually seriously discuss in the name of the Challenge.

I do actually like this idea, and will add it to my list of reasons I need a trailer.

But my concern going starterless would be a stall or unexpected shutdown.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
5/29/17 6:56 p.m.

Since it wouldn't be on the car during use, would an indy car type starter be budget exempt? You would need line of sight to the crank snout (probably the hard part) and figure out a cheap way of connecting to it.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/y92vsiap0a4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
imVMc9XpKbhWjrthdPmx9Yg7jzeDFkw1wtAVEi5Lup71T0LcpGlM9lbiUKW9Pbu1