rhart
rhart
11/15/09 10:33 a.m.

I'l like to get some pros and cons Thanks

Drewsifer
Drewsifer New Reader
11/15/09 10:50 a.m.

I'm sort of in the same boat you are. As a former 944 owner, I'm obviously leaning that way. Both series are fun, use cars that are actually pretty plentiful, robust, and really fun to drive! Either way, you can't really lose.

2002maniac
2002maniac Reader
11/15/09 2:56 p.m.

I'd choose whichever is more plentiful in your region. It would be silly to build a car and have nobody to race against.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt Reader
11/15/09 3:34 p.m.

Yeah, they are both good series. Spec E30 has grown quite a bit. I don't feel qualified to give an opinion as I am not involved in Spec 944, just Spec E30. For Spec E30, I will say that the community likes to find loopholes and close them, rather than exploit them. The administration listens to racers and communicates their plans well. Check out their official site. It'll obviously be biased, but I remember hearing some people who used to race in Spec 944 give their opinions about that series. Find someone who has personal, up-to-date, first-hand experience with both.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
11/16/09 5:31 a.m.

My view as someone who built a SE30 but investigated multiple series is that the E30 way is probably cheaper and more "spec". The cars are often a bit cheaper to buy, the parts are generally about the same to build but 944 allows more modifications, so more expensive parts to buy and more tweaking is possible. The SE30 formula has remained pretty rigid, and it shows in the closeness of the racing. It may just come down to which car you prefer to drive.

joepaluch
joepaluch New Reader
11/16/09 8:40 a.m.

For 944 spec. Visit http://944spec.org

Please don't confust 944 spec with 944 cup. 944 cup is most common on the east coast where spec E30 runs. However 944 cup is not a spec series and that brings it more cost.

944 spec is a spec series. We all run same tires, same hp and same weight. This year at Miller Nationals we had 34 cars (second only to spec miata) and the top 6 cars on road finished in 5.5 seconds from the leader.

Comparing 944 spec to spec E30 is hard. I don't know that much about spec E30 although everything I have seen makes me feel it is a nice class. However I have been running in 944-spec since 2002 and find it to be a very nice budget class. The cars are great to drive and the rules make them very equal. Also the drivers in this class are great to race with. Arizona was the first 944 spec region and I have drivers back from the 2002-2003 time frame that are still racing with us. Many in the same cars. I consider that to be an impressive accomplishment.

I not sure which part of the country you are in, but 944 spec is strong on the west coast as shown by 2009 Naitionls and is growing east. We are sacntioned by NASA, but each local 944 regional director handles the day to day class concerns/promotion. These regional leaders all get together to ensure that nationwide our class is doing the right things for the class. Probably our stongest feature is a good group of leaders who are looking to put class interest first rather and personal gains.

So I love 944 spec and think it is the best class in NASA given the price point competition level and comraderie in the class. However I will not say anything bad about spec-E30.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HFAuNVYrXG5g6PrxuhzNgXQhc6ISiOcdElLC06AlVLHKGf4uWJVW2KW4XE43Qv4V