RossD
RossD SuperDork
7/19/11 7:52 a.m.

The reason: http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/pts/2496493140.html

CL ad said: Old version Advanced Autosports Spec Miata Intake. Light weight mandrel bent elbow tube TIG welded to an adapter plate for 1.6l Miata air flow meter. Comes with large K&N filter, and mounting bracket. Recently replaced with a different intake and no longer need this one. $75 obo

Is this what the old Spec Miata intakes look like? Will it actually produce any difference to my '91 Miata with everything stock? From silently stalking over at miata.net, CAIs seem to get very little respect interms of actual performanc gains. However, I wouldn't mind some intake growl, and I already have K&N cleaning kit.

What say you, GRMers? Not worth it? Offer $50?

Thanks, Ross

car39
car39 Reader
7/19/11 8:53 a.m.

I changed the CAI on my 1.8 NA from a home built cowl mount to a Racing Beat intake. The butt dyno showed some improvement, and I actually was able to accelerate away from a similar NA without a CAI.

Rick
Rick New Reader
7/19/11 9:27 a.m.

In reply to RossD:

A cold air intake will make a difference, but I don't think the one shown will get any cold air. First gen Neons had a cold air kit that pulled cold air from below the car and from the fog light holes. The Neon version also replaced the plastic intake tube before the throttle body with a completely smooth plastic tube.

RossD
RossD SuperDork
7/19/11 9:33 a.m.

Yeah, I was using the 'CAI' term rather loosely. I'm really just looking for opinions on whether it's worth it or not. Maybe I should just fab my own...

ppddppdd
ppddppdd Reader
7/19/11 9:53 a.m.

A flapper door AFM is restrictive enough that the airbox itself is the least of your worries. I can't imagine you'll see any gains unless it's taking air from somewhere at higher pressure or colder temps. That looks like it does neither.

RossD
RossD SuperDork
7/19/11 10:03 a.m.

In reply to ppddppdd: Thats pretty much what they say at miata.net when somebody asks about such devices. But the part where it a Spec Miata part had me wondering, it must have some redeming quality, right?

With regards to restrictions, the tight 180° turn on the factory air box is more restrictive than the nice big bend of the SM part and every bit helps. Or is that a bit dimenising returns?

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 HalfDork
7/19/11 10:31 a.m.

Well, Advanced Autosports no longer sells that intake so that should tell you something. :) For $75, it ain't bad.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/19/11 10:38 a.m.

Spec Miata guys look at power gains differently than non-Spec drivers. In the non-Spec world, if it doesn't make at least 10 hp, it's worthless. For a Spec owner, 1-2 hp is significant. There really isn't such a thing as diminishing returns And of course, there are the regulations that prevent Spec racers from doing some of the more effective modifications.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gxSWuil9rMonjKArqFT3AKebGEN1Rfwz8eiuOuvqY53yVAXnEFRzcXRYvQGzE8FY