1 2
The Staff of Motorsport Marketing
The Staff of Motorsport Marketing Writer
1/15/21 8:34 a.m.

Story by Tara Hurlin

It takes dedication to drive a slow car to its limits. There’s no room for error and no hidden horsepower to make up for a lack of skill. You can’t give up speed anywhere because you won’t get it back. Every twist of the wheel and pump of the brake pedal needs to be calculated down …

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
1/15/21 8:37 a.m.

As much as I love my Fit, nothing would bring me greater joy than for it to live on as a racecar.

Making a mental note for when I'm ready to sell it...

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/15/21 8:46 a.m.

This article has generated a TON of positive traffic and interest to the group on book of faces.

Big thanks to GRM and Tara for this article!

petegans
petegans New Reader
1/15/21 7:08 p.m.

Brilliant write-up, thanks for sharing the especially-slow-car-fast gospel. I wish Sundae Cup and Spec Fit were here in California. I own a Mazda2 and have tracked the hell out of it; it's bomb-proof reliable, so much fun, easy on consumables, light on its feet, and has a ton of grip.

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
1/15/21 7:59 p.m.

I hope the concept as well I just hoped it isn't ruined like so many spec series are.

ojannen
ojannen Reader
1/15/21 8:15 p.m.

How far is this series from B-Spec which allows similarly prepped Honda Fits?

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
1/15/21 8:22 p.m.

As the owner of a GD3 Fit. I approve this article.

flatlander937
flatlander937 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/15/21 10:47 p.m.

I'm psyched about it... Hoping to join in the Gridlife Sundae Cup fun in August at Mid Ohio. laugh

TimM
TimM New Reader
1/16/21 4:05 a.m.

I drive a 2008 Honda Jazz (Fit) in Europe and it is great fun when the 'fun' car is put away for the season.  Even at 1.2 liters...full chat puts a smile on my face (@ 39 mpg).  Great car...

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
1/16/21 5:12 a.m.
ojannen said:

How far is this series from B-Spec which allows similarly prepped Honda Fits?

It might depend on the B-Spec car, but it'd probably be easier to get a B-Spec car into SundaeCup, than it would be to get a SundaeCup car into B-Spec.  This is, imho, just because of the approach SCCA has gone to "approving modifications".

That said, only a couple of non-GD3-Fit cars have run in SundaeCup; so, I don't think the 'pwr/weight' balance has been tested that hard in GridLife?

flatlander937
1/16/21 10:13 a.m.

Rules are here:

https://www.grid.life/eco-cup

Technically if the B Spec car meets the power/weight requirements it could be allowed. It's not exactly in the spirit of the rules in my opinion since it's moreso meant for bolt on daily drivers, not no-compromise race cars. 

Now they DO have a clause about how if you have 4+ vehicles of a similar type they get the their own aub-class(4 Fits = Spec Fit for instance)... Get 4 legitimate B Spec cars and it would be cool to have them run against themselves.

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
1/16/21 10:45 a.m.

"Safety gear (rollcage, etc,) is unlimited, and encouraged. "

Does that mean you  don't have to cage/roll bar/harness?

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/16/21 10:46 a.m.

In reply to flatlander937 :

So if I bring out 4 of my BG chassis, spec BG chassis would become a thing. That is excellent to know. 

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
1/16/21 10:56 a.m.

I'm dumb, it's a time attack class. I thought it was wheel to wheel.

flatlander937
1/16/21 11:34 a.m.

We're trying to get a good 4-5 Mazda2s out there. Some won't have the experience for TT but will hopefully still come out to run HPDE.

This is the Facebook group for anybody interested:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/gridlifesundaecup/

1/16/21 12:00 p.m.
fatallightning said:

"Safety gear (rollcage, etc,) is unlimited, and encouraged. "

Does that mean you  don't have to cage/roll bar/harness?

correct.

I ran at Road America on wheels and tires with new pads. everything else on my car was bone stock.

The whole idea is Time attack that turns constant laps and puts people on track with cars and consumables that are affordable.

Everyone currently running the class is on the Falken RT660, and the cars turn CONSTANT laps. Matt Williams car was out on almost every session at Mid Ohio. 

They literally don't stop lapping the car, they pull one driver out after a session and put another one in and they just kept going.

Benjamin_Casto
Benjamin_Casto New Reader
1/16/21 1:58 p.m.

Where can I find the event schedule/locations for 2021?

Cheers

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
1/16/21 3:06 p.m.
Benjamin_Casto said:

Where can I find the event schedule/locations for 2021?

Cheers

Right here:

https://www.grid.life/news/2020/12/15/gridlife-announces-2021-competition-schedule

Claff
Claff Reader
1/16/21 4:43 p.m.

Are the manual transmission Fits significantly peppier than automatics? We have an automatic '08 and it is an absolute stone.

Also trying to reconcile "Spec" in the name when the two cars in the article have different suspension and stuff.

malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/16/21 4:59 p.m.

I am all about this.

Just waiting to be approved on the Facebook page to ask questions.

2 of my cars are out due to having LSDs...but I have 2 more....

BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter)
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/16/21 6:26 p.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to flatlander937 :

So if I bring out 4 of my BG chassis, spec BG chassis would become a thing. That is excellent to know. 

I’m in for spec ZX2 :D

Benjamin_Casto
Benjamin_Casto New Reader
1/17/21 12:01 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

Thanks mate!

1/17/21 12:08 a.m.
Claff said:

Are the manual transmission Fits significantly peppier than automatics? We have an automatic '08 and it is an absolute stone.

Also trying to reconcile "Spec" in the name when the two cars in the article have different suspension and stuff.

In the GD# (First gen) the stick has A LOT shorter gearing in 3-5th 1st and 2nd are close.. but still taller..

Manual Gearing

Automatic Gearing

my fit was CRAWLING up the front straight at Road America, even being at peak power at the top of 3rd going up the hill to start finish the car literally stopped accelerating up the hill.

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
1/17/21 1:06 a.m.

I've found manual Fits to be more peppy than auto Fits. Is there an aftermarket rear sway bar for the newest Fits? (Have a 17 LX)..

malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/18/21 6:00 p.m.
dxman92 said:

I've found manual Fits to be more peppy than auto Fits. Is there an aftermarket rear sway bar for the newest Fits? (Have a 17 LX)..

My wife has a 18.  I did a plus 0 tire up front.  I would consider a rear bar for it maybe one day

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XCRsM28Oz3bYZfljGj6pFmdpV8dKTJu8eBOb6jUJKL2OGHvooNRnO3hPVtQz0fEI