JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe New Reader
10/1/19 10:38 a.m.

The last rallycross event on the Summit Point calendar is coming up this weekend.  So after a 15 year break from racing, rallycross is what my family and I would like to get into for the foreseeable future.   Are the events set up to allow for a decent spectating experience, or it geared towards participating and such?

Armitage
Armitage Dork
10/1/19 10:49 a.m.

My advice: bring your helmet, sign the waiver, and get ride-alongs all day. Most participants are more than happy to take a passenger along and that'll be way more fun than spectating from a distance.

pirate
pirate HalfDork
10/1/19 2:47 p.m.

Not familiar with Summit Point but I would call ahead to see what provisions they have for spectators. Within the last year two of my grandsons and I were turned away from a SCCA Autocross where the gate worker said absolutely no spectators. I’m sure it was rules from the facility they were using and limiting liability. However, I just wanted to show the driving age grandsons there are responsible places to drive rather then the street.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/1/19 3:18 p.m.

There is usually a "hot line" where only corner workers and competitors in cars (not competitors on foot) are allowed during competition, but there's generally a number of non entrants milling around outside that area.

Spectation is generally poor, though.  Haven't been to Summit Point for a rallycross yet but generally the only sites good for spectating are places with grandstands and a wall/fence separating the two.  Which is one nice feature of running at horse tracks or dirt ovals.

If the kids are over 10 years old, they will be allowed to ride in cars provided the appropriate minor waiver form has been filled out.  And they have to be wearing a competition legal helmet.

moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
10/1/19 4:30 p.m.

The event this weekend is at the Panthera Training Center 2506 Fish Pond Rd Old Fields, WV 26845 not at summit point.

Not sure if that is farther away for you or not.  We will be back at Summit Point for the Nov 16th/17th events.

Please let me know where you saw it was at summit point this weekend so I can get that fixed.

Age for ridealongs is "The passenger must be no younger than twelve (12) years of age or at least 57” tall and must meet all liability waiver requirements outlined below."

The events are geared toward participation but you can get some decent views of the course to spectate.

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
10/1/19 7:12 p.m.
JesseWolfe said:

The last rallycross event on the Summit Point calendar is coming up this weekend.  So after a 15 year break from racing, rallycross is what my family and I would like to get into for the foreseeable future.   Are the events set up to allow for a decent spectating experience, or it geared towards participating and such?

Yeah, DC crew is pretty open to passengers for the most part. My passenger seat is always available for rides (since my car is set up for two people for stage rally, so it handles better with two anyhow lol). Anyhow, if you go, I have the black/dark red caged e30. #424

Panthera is a pretty good place to spectate (better than Summit, really) since you can be up on the ridge and see a lot of the course at once. A scenic/easy drive to get there.

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe New Reader
10/1/19 10:37 p.m.
moxnix said:

The event this weekend is at the Panthera Training Center 2506 Fish Pond Rd Old Fields, WV 26845 not at summit point.

Not sure if that is farther away for you or not.  We will be back at Summit Point for the Nov 16th/17th events.

Please let me know where you saw it was at summit point this weekend so I can get that fixed.

Age for ridealongs is "The passenger must be no younger than twelve (12) years of age or at least 57” tall and must meet all liability waiver requirements outlined below."

The events are geared toward participation but you can get some decent views of the course to spectate.

I'm not sure where I got that schedule, I adjusted my personal calendar to reflect this.  Panthera is only 30 minutes further away then Summit Point, so not an issue.

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe New Reader
10/1/19 10:39 p.m.
irish44j said:
JesseWolfe said:

Yeah, DC crew is pretty open to passengers for the most part. My passenger seat is always available for rides (since my car is set up for two people for stage rally, so it handles better with two anyhow lol). Anyhow, if you go, I have the black/dark red caged e30. #424

Panthera is a pretty good place to spectate (better than Summit, really) since you can be up on the ridge and see a lot of the course at once. A scenic/easy drive to get there.

If I can and do make it out, I'll definitely take you up on that offer.  I'll dig around and see if my old racing helmet is still up to current certification. 

I appreciate all the responses. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zakeeppMOX1lOsIBUElQQbaCXACR72wm5fjfn7xKtDewuytEHevgZUb7jKwxVcC3