1 2
RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/8/17 9:54 a.m.

So maybe I should have asked before I ordered, but last night I ordered in a set of speed bleeder bleed screws for the miata and its impending brake surgery. I didn't know these existed until yesterday when I was researching brake bleeding tools.

Anyone have experience with them? Do they do what they're supposed to do or did I just waste $30?

If they work, I'm probably going to order a set for the Vic too.

java230
java230 SuperDork
5/8/17 9:57 a.m.

They work exactly as you would think. Love the things.

I have had issues with getting the wrong ones even though they are supposed to the fit, but such is life.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
5/8/17 10:00 a.m.

They work pretty well, not a replacement for having a helper though. Hard to see the condition of the fluid coming out (and any bubbles) when you are in the driver's seat

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/8/17 10:07 a.m.

I have them on the Corolla, they work. I don't know why they aren't more popular.

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
5/8/17 10:13 a.m.

They're nice for just getting fresh fluid through the system easily. I used to run them. Then I bought a pressure bleeder...

ross2004
ross2004 Reader
5/8/17 10:25 a.m.
ProDarwin wrote: They work pretty well, not a replacement for having a helper though. Hard to see the condition of the fluid coming out (and any bubbles) when you are in the driver's seat

Speedbleeders are awesome, can't believe I didn't use them sooner. And to combat not being able to see, I use my ipad to facetime my phone from the drivers seat.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
5/8/17 10:30 a.m.
ross2004 wrote:
ProDarwin wrote: They work pretty well, not a replacement for having a helper though. Hard to see the condition of the fluid coming out (and any bubbles) when you are in the driver's seat
Speedbleeders are awesome, can't believe I didn't use them sooner. And to combat not being able to see, I use my ipad to facetime my phone from the drivers seat.

lol, I was thinking someone would do this as I was typing that out.

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
5/8/17 10:34 a.m.
ross2004 wrote:

Needs must as the devil drives. That's pretty good though TBH.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/8/17 10:35 a.m.

I have used them and like them a lot, but have found how well they work will depend on how good the seal is between the threads of the bleeder and the caliper casting. If the thread seal isn't essentially perfect, it'll suck air past the threads. More so than a standard valve, for whatever reason.

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UltraDork
5/8/17 10:37 a.m.

I've heard nothing but good things about them.

But...they don't bleed any better than a gatorade bottle and a vacuum hose. In fact the hose/bottle keeps the mess contained and allows you to see the fluid that came out.

trucke
trucke SuperDork
5/8/17 10:43 a.m.
Ian F wrote: I have used them and like them a lot, but have found how well they work will depend on how good the seal is between the threads of the bleeder and the caliper casting. If the thread seal isn't essentially perfect, it'll suck air past the threads. More so than a standard valve, for whatever reason.

You should have good luck with this for several years of service.

Yup! Had this problem recently. Soft pedal syndrome after bleeding. Got 'em on the FX16. Bled them the old fashion way with a helper pumping the pedal. Noticed some fluid drops. It was leaking around the thread. BUT, the speed bleeders were reused when the calipers were replaced. Should have added some pipe dope to the threads before installing. They come with some goop on the threads when new.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/8/17 11:08 a.m.
rslifkin wrote: They're nice for just getting fresh fluid through the system easily. I used to run them. Then I bought a pressure bleeder...

It was 3 failed pressure bleeders that prompted me to check these out.

The hand pump/mity vac style, the pneumatic one from hf, and a hybrid of the two all failed so we did it the old fashioned way.

Realistically there will still be someone pumping pedals and someone watching, but if push comes shove, having a way to do it solo will be nice.

Glad one of my Impulse purchases actually was a good one.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/8/17 11:11 a.m.

I put them on the Impala. My only issue was that with the bleeders open, it mixes air with the brake fluid as it exits, so there are always bubbles in the tube making it hard to tell when you have all the air out.

You also kinda still need two people, but it sure does make the pump/open/close/release/repeat a lot easier. The second person just needs to open once, watch bubbles, close. It certainly increases confidence for me (except for seeing the bubbles)

Mine were cheapy parts store bits though.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
5/8/17 12:20 p.m.

What? And give up the one time my wife and I bond with the cars?

Up

Down

Up

Down

Up

Down

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UltraDork
5/8/17 12:26 p.m.
spitfirebill wrote: What? And give up the one time my wife and I bond with the cars? Up Down Up Down Up Down

Whoa whoa whoa. Enough with the dirty talk. What does this have to do with bonding with cars?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/8/17 12:36 p.m.

^That is berkeleying brilliant right there.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/8/17 1:27 p.m.

Ah.. the advantages of small British cars... can operate the pedal from either door with one hand while looking at the bleeder in question.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
5/8/17 6:12 p.m.
spitfirebill wrote: What? And give up the one time my wife and I bond with the cars? Up Down Up Down Up Down

Sounds kinky.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/8/17 6:19 p.m.

I do gravity bleeds. Gives me a really good pedal and it's easy to do solo. Plus this way I don't need to buy (counting in his head) 44 speed bleeders.

Jumper K. Balls
Jumper K. Balls PowerDork
5/8/17 6:30 p.m.
RevRico wrote:
rslifkin wrote: They're nice for just getting fresh fluid through the system easily. I used to run them. Then I bought a pressure bleeder...
It was 3 failed pressure bleeders that prompted me to check these out. The hand pump/mity vac style, the pneumatic one from hf, and a hybrid of the two all failed so we did it the old fashioned way.

A pressure bleeder

is very different than a vacuum bleeder

I have never had any success with a vacuum bleeder. Pressure bleeders on the other hand are the dogs danglies, but you need cap adapters for every car you plan on working on

djsilver
djsilver Reader
5/8/17 6:38 p.m.

OK, here goes...,

I've bled brakes with the regular fittings and the speed bleeders. I've found thread sealant is necessary on both to keep from sucking air around the threads on the return stroke of the pedal.

I use a 15' long piece of clear hose and a cup. I start at the right rear (farthest) put the cup in view from the drivers seat and pump til I get clear fluid at the cup. I move to the left rear, right front, left front, repeating the process. It uses a little more fluid but it's the best method I've found for single person bleeding. Bleeding brakes well is enough of a pain I generally put the car on jack-stands and pull the wheels/tires off to do it.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/8/17 6:46 p.m.

Fun fact - on a LHD classic 88" Land Rover, the left front wheel is the furthest from the master cylinder.

jere
jere HalfDork
5/10/17 9:06 a.m.

I have tried a few sets of speed bleeders, always leak around the threads... Then I made a pressure bleeder from a garden sprayer...$10. If my garage burned down that would be the first thing I would replace after a 3/8th ratchet set its that good.

Firmest pedal possible everytime, one man job, bleed order doesn't matter, all the calipers can be on the wrong sides nipples down and above the master cylinder and you still get a rock solid pedal with the least wasted brake fluid. Oh and it doesn't know the difference between abs and non abs, bleeds both equally as well.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/10/17 9:47 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Fun fact - on a LHD classic 88" Land Rover, the left front wheel is the furthest from the master cylinder.

On a RHD Peugeot 205 GTI, the MC is on the opposide side of the car from the driver's controls, and a complicated system of levers transfers force from the brake pedal to the MC.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/10/17 10:06 a.m.

I have the Motive pressure bleeder and I love it, but be careful using it on Miatas. It doesn't take a lot of pressure to blow fluid past the junction of the master cylinder and its plastic reservoir. I've done it on three different cars with just about 10 psi. You just need a little more than atmospheric pressure to make it work. And any reading on the gauge means that the pressure in the bottle is greater than atmospheric pressure.

I hate brake fluid.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JEu7vVZ4Ogk6FXFQIkfCViyshteaWBFBm0uazZstz1JMJgZ8easgYeqD4FBQ7Pdw