The Staff of Motorsport Marketing
The Staff of Motorsport Marketing Writer
11/17/16 4:23 p.m.

[Editor's Note: This article comes from our October 2016 edition. Some information or pricing may be different.]

Our expert tips for getting the most performance out of your Mazdaspeed3, including maintenance and upgraded parts.

MEET OUR EXPERT:
Derrick Ambrose of CorkSport Performance Vancouver, Washington
corksport.com 
 (360) 260-2675

Common Issues

Heavy carbon buildup can form quickly on the intake manifold, ports and valves. To explain why …

Read the rest of the story

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/17/16 4:37 p.m.

These threads need more pictures.

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
11/17/16 4:55 p.m.

Metal or Poly catch can?

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/8/17 1:50 p.m.
Toyman01 said:

I agree.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/8/17 2:20 p.m.
bentwrench said:

Metal or Poly catch can?

Didn't know they made them out of anything other than metal, but apparently they do now...

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/8/17 4:17 p.m.

Good timing. A nice one just showed up at my friend's car lot.....may have to go drive it this weekend. 

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
12/8/17 6:04 p.m.

In reply to bentwrench :

Glass, Mason Jar.wink

goingnowherefast
goingnowherefast GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/10/17 6:45 p.m.

Don't these cars pop out of gear? The one I've autoX'd literally would pop out of second randomly. Super annoying. 

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
12/11/17 10:05 a.m.

In reply to goingnowherefast :

that sounds like a blown motor or trans mount then

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
9/19/19 9:45 a.m.
Toyman01 said:

And now it does. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/19/19 10:05 a.m.
Jordan Rimpela said:
Toyman01 said:

Get up, go outside, and do something. - Me, mostly talking to myself.

And now it does. 

Yes.. These threads do need more pictures.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/19/19 11:08 a.m.
goingnowherefast said:

Don't these cars pop out of gear? The one I've autoX'd literally would pop out of second randomly. Super annoying. 

Never had mine do that, and it's definitely been ridden hard. 

NickD
NickD PowerDork
9/19/19 12:07 p.m.
Mndsm said:
goingnowherefast said:

Hold my beer and watch this! 

A friend of mine currently owns two and has had a third in the past. Just ther other week at an autocross he was telling me that there is a little counterweight on the shifter mechanism on the transmission that under certain conditions can cause the transmission to pop out of gear. There are two 10mm bolts that hold it on, take those out and it pops right off and supposedly alleviates the condition.

I always liked these but the reputation of these engines to be a bit of a timebomb and this era Mazda's propensity to rust means they have pretty much all vanished or have no quarter panels and subframes left or a hole in the block.

Jordan Rimpela
9/19/19 12:22 p.m.
Mndsm said:
goingnowherefast said:

How is yours, Tom?

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/19/19 1:07 p.m.
NickD said:
Mndsm said:
goingnowherefast said:

Hold my beer and watch this! 

A friend of mine currently owns two and has had a third in the past. Just ther other week at an autocross he was telling me that there is a little counterweight on the shifter mechanism on the transmission that under certain conditions can cause the transmission to pop out of gear. There are two 10mm bolts that hold it on, take those out and it pops right off and supposedly alleviates the condition.

I always liked these but the reputation of these engines to be a bit of a timebomb and this era Mazda's propensity to rust means they have pretty much all vanished or have no quarter panels and subframes left or a hole in the block.

revised to quote this. 

My buddy had his do it as well. There was some kind of TSB about it. 

But my buddy and I figured out for his car it's the force path being acted upon the weight mounted on the shifter assembly on the trans under the hood. 

The weight is in direct line with the braking force of the vehicle and so his car popped out of 2nd under hard braking. He pulled the weight off and problem was gone. 

This was on a 2010 model. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/19/19 3:35 p.m.
Jordan Rimpela said:
Mndsm said:
goingnowherefast said:

How is yours, Tom?

Broken. Still. I'm waiting for some ambition and for it to cool down some, and I'll start resurrecting it. 

jstein77
jstein77 UberDork
9/23/19 1:37 p.m.

Seeing as how that second picture looks to be one of JG's project cars, you would think that GRM should have lots more pictures on file.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/2008-mazda-mazdaspeed3/

Jordan Rimpela
9/23/19 1:39 p.m.

In reply to jstein77 :

We do. I added it.  :)

danl318
danl318 New Reader
1/6/22 2:58 p.m.

Late to the party here...

Car & Driver described the 2009 MS3 shifter as "joyless," a well-deserved assessment. To address the problem on my '09, I've taken the following steps:

• upgraded bushings
  • short-throw shifter plate
  • lightweight shifter counterweight
  • stiffer engine mounts

It's still mushy and imprecise in spite of these mods. Plus, the shift cable has TWICE come loose under heavy use (my first track day and during an autocross). Any advice? 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
468Zjtzig3BqvBRHFGNfkEnjOnrte1LfN467z4JTdXvX7TR451CaGVdVUa62XZWd