Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD Reader
1/22/20 6:28 p.m.

Have a few sets of springs that need the spring rates to be tested and a few more sets I would use it for if I had it.

Anyone have any info if this is any good?

Most of the other testers I saw were $800+  but I don't need one super precise as long as it is +/- 5 lbs.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/DECO-Hydraulic-Coil-Spring-Rater-0-1000-Lbs-,231.html?sku=3001000&utm_medium=CSEGoogle&utm_source=CSE&utm_campaign=CSEGOOGLE&gclid=CjwKCAiAgqDxBRBTEiwA59eEN6iY4mEleZsolo6tx-w7QRJNM9OKdia1bPbPKwyt8r5vyZQjAX5OVhoC8GsQAvD_BwE

Also anyone ever buy from this site?

Any known issues?

Thanks

Patientzero
Patientzero Reader
1/22/20 6:37 p.m.

Speedway Motors is a fantastic alternative to Summit or Jegs.  I believe they are also a partial sponsor for SCCA Nationals in Lincoln. 

As for the tester I'm sure it would do what you want.  It's basically a giant valve spring tester or trailer tongue weight scale.  Not a lot to go wrong there.  I'd buy it.  Maybe check a couple Hyperco Springs on it to see how far off it is, haha.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
1/22/20 7:13 p.m.

Yeah, I have bought from Speedway Motors.  They are good.

Why not make your own with a ruler, bathroom scale (yo, digital, yo) and something to press down on the spring with?  Then it's just maffs and E36 M3. Unless you have a whole lot of springs to test and want a really nice one like that one at speedway.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/22/20 7:39 p.m.
Dr. Hess said:

Why not make your own with a ruler, bathroom scale (yo, digital, yo) and something to press down on the spring with?  Then it's just maffs and E36 M3. Unless you have a whole lot of springs to test and want a really nice one like that one at speedway.

Second this. I made one using a scale mounted under an arbor press. I had a dial indicator to check distance. All added up it probably wasn't cheap, but it can be replicated for much less. 

Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD Reader
1/22/20 7:57 p.m.

My concern with a home made one is the spring getting loose and taking my head off.

Patientzero
Patientzero Reader
1/22/20 8:38 p.m.

In reply to Fr3AkAzOiD :

Very unlikely it will take it COMPLETELY off.  More likely just put a dent in it.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/22/20 8:53 p.m.

I use one of my corner weight scales in the hydraulic press and a tape measure.  I run a safety cable through the spring so it can't take my head off but I've never had one try.

Jumper K Balls (Trent)
Jumper K Balls (Trent) PowerDork
1/23/20 8:54 a.m.

This device was given to me. It had an inaccurate load cell on the bottom plate. If the load cell had been close to accurate it would be fine. 

I too use one of the corner weight scales on the hydraulic press with a tape measure. It will give me a in/lb. Reading spot on with what hypercoil etches into their springs. 

dps214
dps214 Reader
1/23/20 9:55 a.m.

The speedway link you posted looks fine and would be the easy button for sure. But I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be hard to DIY something "good enough" for a lot less than that. Looks like 0-700lb valve spring testers are pretty easy to come by for around $75 andwould just need to be adapted to a larger diameter plate. Hydraulic jacks are cheap and I have to imagine you could build a substantial enough frame for well less than the ~$200 that's left over. Or as mentioned if you already have a hydraulic press you have basically everything needed except the scale. I wouldn't be too concerned about retention since they're straight springs that you're not putting a ton of force into, but it wouldn't be too hard to build a retention feature into the frame either.

Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD Reader
2/1/20 1:00 p.m.

Well I got it and it sucks.

Went to test a spring that should be 180 in/lbs and it registered it 150 in/lbs (compressed 3 inches, divided by 3).

Flipped it over and tested the same spring the other way around and it came back at 95 in/lbs.

The bottom plate that sits on the jack is all wobbly and when I had a spring at 250 lbs compression and smacked the stand a couple times it dropped to 235 lbs.

The gauge could have been damaged in delivery but I doubt it.

Wish me the best of luck returning it.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/1/20 4:51 p.m.

And now we know.  Thank you.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/1/20 6:10 p.m.

We were talking about this in the MaXpeedingRods thread. Best suggestion for DIY is a free weight bar. Stand it on end, put the spring over the bar, drop a calibrated weight or two (which come with weight sets!) on top and measure deflection. The bar will keep the spring from going rogue.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
2/1/20 7:19 p.m.

I made mine.  Check out the public album on FB.

The cylinder has 1 .125 bore (1 square inch) so a pressure gauge read one to one not ratio to calculate like when i used my hydraulic press.

FB pictures album

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xJ36NvgbuuV6mSdj3F1FHQKVWYev3XZnEOSf4lzzzNlxR7a9G1nWnWMOsHFos9so