1 2
mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
8/20/17 6:53 p.m.

Unfortunately the origional car met an untimely demise before I could continue the project. It did work as a balance tuning aid, but how I was using them it was more of a small changes tool. I think if you can get proper shocks and springs and sway bars then you already have the proper tools, but if you're limited with parts availability then they're something worth looking into. There is also the fact that bump stops are sometimes open in rules, and whenever something is open, there is room for a creative person to get an edge.

Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD Reader
8/20/17 8:34 p.m.

Thanks for the bump, I must have missed this the first time around and it may be worth looking into for my track Malibu as the only other option would be a fully custom setup which I am sure would be big money.

The Malibu was fine on 280tw tires, droping to 200tw re-71r are a bit too much even in 205 width.

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
8/20/17 9:08 p.m.

Tall, soft bumpstops are a good thing. IMO, if the springs are stiff enough, you should have a reasonable amount of travel available before the bumpstops hit, but they should hit early enough to slow the suspension so you never really feel it "bottom out" when you get into the bumpstops.

If you can find a way to fit them, the rear bumpstops for a 99-06 Chevy 1500 are big, squishy and progressive. And cheap.

I run a set of the Chevy bumps on the front of the Jeep, as the thread right onto the stock bumpstop mounts. They work great. Throw it over a 4" dip at 50 and it gets pretty deep into the bumpstops. Yet you never feel it run out of travel or anything. No harshness, the combo of the bumpstops, stiff springs and good shocks just soaks it right up. With the stock bumps, it rode great until you more than lightly tapped the bumps, then you'd feel it kinda slam into the end of its travel pretty suddenly.

Daeldalus
Daeldalus New Reader
8/20/17 9:40 p.m.

This thread is great info. As I was just wondering what to do with my front bump stops. I may look into the Chevy ones.

I am wanting a stiffer overall suspension for spirited driving but also one that is comfortable enough for the wife during normal driving. This might be my answer. Get a 'soft' sport spring and add a squishy progressive bumpstop.

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
8/21/17 7:40 a.m.

In reply to Daeldalus:

For comfort, run good shocks that are well matched to your springs. Well matched stuff can ride surprisingly well even if it's stiff.

Matt Huffman
Matt Huffman New Reader
8/2/18 9:46 a.m.

The chevy bump stops look like $40 a piece, minimum.  i've been eyeing:

Dorman 523-237

Toyota Camry bump stops

Uro (aftermarket) lots of variety

I've also used 2000 honda civic rear bumpstops, but they're for a small shock shaft diameter.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/18/19 10:40 a.m.

Anither necrobump.

How do you calculate the number of active coils? Im looking at the spring rubbers as a cheap way to increase spring rate on a challenge car. However, the 5.99 rubbers only come in 5 inch coil size, not the 2.5 coils on the car. So that may be an issue, bu i think a little heat and a couple of zipties could cur it....

Anyway, lets discuss this again!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/18/19 2:00 p.m.

https://www.acxesspring.com/counting-active-coils.html

Remember that with a progressive spring, the number of active coils depends on the amount of weight on the spring.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
of93z1JLer5zmss7pgbbZQsbB3iEl0GGD78QpmmyNCrwawkXvSaC35tfdwmDIaae