Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
2/4/15 11:21 a.m.
feature_image

Racing takes time and effort. Lots of time and effort. Continuous time and effort. Though our $500 Miata has seen its fair share of action on track, lately we've been busy making magazines and messing with other projects. The Miata, in contrast, just sat under a car cover. We even scrounged a few parts off of it. Urgent to-dos for …

Read the rest of the story

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
2/4/15 11:34 a.m.

We'll be there too, driving the repainted truck in my avatar. I'll try not to hold you up too much...

furiousdrt
furiousdrt
2/7/15 9:56 a.m.

Something I don't see mentioned often is raising your idle for racing. My '96 miata takes to it rather well. Simple as turning the idle control screw on the side of the throttle body. A (miata) motor is far more responsive at 2000 rpm than at 750. Also helps prevent stalling if you have a "doh" moment. I've found rev matching, throttle blips, heel-toe all much easier and faster with the idle set high. For the '96 to set it back, put the timing pin (fancy paperclip) in the jumper under the hood and lower the idle, then remove the pin. My '00 miata reset procedure is a bit more specific to not throw a CEL but not too hard. -Good luck!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XUorQ4G7qBvvrhtgkapnLwLIMVc5pZODb27RpsmM97tyfimvPbcXe9fEVYjxhhrY