1 2
fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
2/8/13 12:30 p.m.

Finally, someone is letting you buy a top of the line performance model without all the electronic and luxury bells and whistles included standard.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/08/srt-core-models-chicago-2013/

My man-crush on Ralph Gilles grows....

necessary:

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
2/8/13 12:33 p.m.

I like the concept.

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
2/8/13 12:41 p.m.

Nice, but I'm still waiting for a Dart SRT4.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UberDork
2/8/13 12:58 p.m.

I'm partial to this:

Ranger50
Ranger50 UberDork
2/8/13 1:01 p.m.
jstein77 wrote: Nice, but I'm still waiting for a Dart SRT4.

Would be nice if they did and made it about, oh say, 2.2 liters...

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/8/13 1:05 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote: I'm partial to this:

Yes, yes, and yes. Although I loathe the fact that the Challenger is a fattie (seriously, it weighs more than a P71!), the idea of the actual bare-bones muscle car coming back? Biggest motor, nothing else. YES PLEASE!!!

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/8/13 1:59 p.m.
jstein77 wrote: Nice, but I'm still waiting for a Dart SRT4.

Me too.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
2/8/13 2:01 p.m.

I want AM radio, manual roll down windows , rubber floor mats and 3 on the tree for my 300.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/8/13 2:03 p.m.

I wonder if a Dart SRT4 would be able to live up to internet expectations?

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UberDork
2/8/13 2:04 p.m.

I like the concept, but I'll honestly be surprised if these sell worth a damn. They're still priced comparably to a decently well-optioned Mustang GT, and I think the only one with a 3-pedal option is the Challenger.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
2/8/13 2:13 p.m.

Sounds like '13 Mustang. I ordered a base model (cloth, no fancy stereo, etc), then added the "Track Pack" which adds the Brembo brake package/wheels/Pirelli's + some goodies from the BOSS 302.

Paid $30,500 for it.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
2/8/13 2:16 p.m.

Great idea, but "cheap" not found. The cars are all still over $40,000!!!

Cuda
Cuda Reader
2/8/13 2:36 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: Sounds like '13 Mustang. I ordered a base model (cloth, no fancy stereo, etc), then added the "Track Pack" which adds the Brembo brake package/wheels/Pirelli's + some goodies from the BOSS 302. Paid $30,500 for it.

That is a lot like my 00GT I had. Cloth, no cruise, no rear defroster. The Only options it had were power locks and windows. I loved that car.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
2/8/13 2:52 p.m.
logdog wrote: I wonder if a Dart SRT4 would be able to live up to internet expectations?

Doubtful......as normal, they would probably find a way to couple a good engine and a weak transmission together for it.

Also, Dodge claims the dart is based off an Alfa or Fiat......but park one next to a new lancer and the resemblence is stunning.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/8/13 2:59 p.m.
yamaha wrote: Also, Dodge claims the dart is based off an Alfa or Fiat......but park one next to a new lancer and the resemblence is stunning.

It is indeed an Alfa platform, lug bolts and all, wider and longer for American tastes.

fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
2/8/13 3:03 p.m.
logdog wrote: I wonder if a Dart SRT4 would be able to live up to internet expectations?

Ralph actually addressed that exact issue in an AutoBlog podcast interview a few weeks ago. Said that was part of the reason they're taking their time with the idea of the next SRT4. Naturally he was otherwise very non-committal about it being a future product and all.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
2/8/13 3:32 p.m.
Javelin wrote:
Ranger50 wrote: I'm partial to this:
Yes, yes, and yes. Although I loathe the fact that the Challenger is a fattie (seriously, it weighs more than a P71!), the *idea* of the actual bare-bones muscle car coming back? Biggest motor, nothing else. YES PLEASE!!!

LOOOOOOVE the plum crazy (or whatever) Challenger. HAAAAAAAATE that they made the wheels/arches so berkeleying retardedly big. I guess they figure if you're buying a barney purple car, you're probably of the "Yo" persuasion.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Dork
2/8/13 6:53 p.m.
logdog wrote:
yamaha wrote: Also, Dodge claims the dart is based off an Alfa or Fiat......but park one next to a new lancer and the resemblence is stunning.
It is indeed an Alfa platform, lug bolts and all, wider and longer for American waists. FTFY.
Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
2/8/13 8:33 p.m.
HAAAAAAAATE that they made the wheels/arches so berkeleying retardedly big.

It's a gigantic car. It NEEDS those wheelwells to be proportional. You can easily find pics of a challenger with 17" wheels. It looks stupid. A challenger with 18s looks.. less bad. They dont start looking good until you have 20s on them. The wheelwell is just there to accomodate the tire size that's needed to make the car not look stupid. You could put 25" tall tires on a challenger and shrink the wheelwells so there was not much wheelgap, but it would still look stupid.

iceracer
iceracer UltraDork
2/9/13 10:04 a.m.

Wait for the Baracuda.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
2/9/13 10:37 a.m.
SilverFleet wrote: Great idea, but "cheap" not found. The cars are all still over $40,000!!!

These are in line with say the GT500 not the standard GT so they are actually pretty cheap relativity.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
2/9/13 11:34 a.m.

Ehhh....the SRT packages in no way run with the GT500s. When they started the SRT chargers I could go head to head with my 05 GT mustang and it was an even match even though I was down a good bit of HP. The 6L is better, but they're still not in Snake territory.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
2/9/13 11:37 a.m.
ultraclyde wrote: Ehhh....the SRT packages in no way run with the GT500s. When they started the SRT chargers I could go head to head with my 05 GT mustang and it was an even match even though I was down a good bit of HP. The 6L is better, but they're still not in Snake territory.

In Mopar's mind they do. They always push the RT vs the GT.

If that matches reality, not really, then that's up to them .

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
2/9/13 2:55 p.m.

I think if you look at the overall package and how its trimmed out an SRT is closer to a gt500 than a gt. It makes sense to me. The SRT family cars are not as fast as a gt500 but the SRT sports car sure is. Dodge has always flat refused to make a right-sized RWD sporty car (fiero syndrome? the Demon and Razor would both have been stupid/amazing fast with mild mods to the turbo 2.4s). The closest they got in production was the SRT-6 which is still as fast as a new 'amazing' 5.0 GT 7 years later, but was still a little on the small side and too expensive due to it's non-native/shared platform. We will see how the Cuda turns out.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
2/9/13 3:12 p.m.
Vigo wrote: I think if you look at the overall package and how its trimmed out an SRT is closer to a gt500 than a gt. It makes sense to me. The SRT family cars are not as fast as a gt500 but the SRT sports car sure is. Dodge has always flat refused to make a right-sized RWD sporty car (fiero syndrome? the Demon and Razor would both have been stupid/amazing fast with mild mods to the turbo 2.4s). The closest they got in production was the SRT-6 which is as fast as a new 5.0 GT but still a little on the small side and too expensive due to it's non-native/shared platform. We will see how the Cuda turns out.

Wait, what?

You're claiming the 330hp SRT-6 is as fast as the new 420hp 5.0?

I checked the numbers, just lulz.

And for trim levels, you can option out a GT nearly identical to the BOSS/GT 500 levels and still be cheaper than the Dodge equivalent.

You can buy a new GT with Brembos, leather recaros, big stereo, nav, etc all for less than $40k

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rWP2t8sOIfg6dajYhJKYQ2izZS5lP9I1IOPODOC1VOYx2NrpQ5GfXsugEjQcrI8N