David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/30/19 11:00 p.m.

Story and Photographs by David S. Wallens

“Another autocross class?” We heard the cries of exasperation the microsecond that the SCCA announced Solo Spec Coupe, a restricted class for the popular Subaru BRZ and Scion FR-S. It would be backed by Tire Rack; require a spec wheel, tire and suspension package; and be limited to the earlier versions of the …

Read the rest of the story

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/1/19 7:56 a.m.

A very interesting read. I went from HS to STH and since I am on the same tires as HS, I wonder how much all the other stuff makes a difference. The common limiting factor is ultimately how much grip you can generate, and it seems like that remains the case with the FR-S/BRZ/GT86.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
5/1/19 10:12 a.m.

I'm curious to know how the SSC suspension changes how these cars feel while daily driving.  How much of the stock car's handling characteristics are retained?  How is the ride quality and NVH now?

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/1/19 10:20 a.m.

In reply to nderwater :

Bumps of a moderate size at Freeway speed will cause the rear to get airborne. Or at least feel like it. 

Scared the crap out of me riding with my buddy. Drive the same road every day in my ST and the car doesn't even flinch... 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xmSrLYygnNnea8WM5uynYqYgsLgftSgwmjSgoheUBuRA2lpoClml5XE8JgRRnz7W