Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD Reader
11/19/17 2:27 p.m.

Posting this on a lawn tractor forum as well but you guys are so awesome I figured I would ask here also.

2009ish John Deere x300 with Kawasaki engine, worked fine five weeks ago but last week went to start and nothing.

Pushed it to the garage and got the battery charged and now when I try to start it I get a buzzing/vibrating noise from the starter solenoid.

I can swap parts fine but diagnosing problems.....not so much.

I think its the starter solenoid even though the battery was dead but don't want to throw money at a problem without knowing for sure.

I did check that all the wires were tight and clean in case it was a bad ground or something.

Any input would be most welcome.

Video of the noise should be below.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
11/19/17 2:35 p.m.

Tap the solenoid with a hammer as you turn  the key

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
11/19/17 4:21 p.m.

The battery may still be low.  If it doesn't have enough capacity, the solenoid won't stay engaged.

Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD Reader
11/19/17 5:56 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Had it on the charger overnight, should be full.

This is the second battery if that makes any difference.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
11/19/17 6:04 p.m.

Never assume.    check the voltage.

Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD Reader
11/19/17 7:19 p.m.

In reply to iceracer :

K, will have to dig around tomorrow for my multimeter and see what the battery is doing.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/20/17 7:03 a.m.

Try jump starting it.  

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
11/20/17 1:18 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

That won't fix the problem.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry HalfDork
11/21/17 2:42 a.m.

Thought I'd bring in yet another vehicle type to the discussion......  on my Aprilia (and others' too apparently) a low battery will make short work of the starter relay.

so the relay (if it has one) or the solenoid might have gone south when the battery was low. 

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
11/21/17 10:08 a.m.

I have a same-ish age JD Z225 with a kawasaki. When I had intermittent starter issues it turned out to be a loose ground where the cable bolted through the engine mounting ear. No problems since. My uncle who used to work in a JD dealership said that the starter solenoids weren't very good on these, and he said when they do fail it is best to replace it with a Ford fender mounted starter solenoid as they are heavier duty than the John Deere piece.

Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD Reader
11/21/17 8:04 p.m.

Found my multimeter Monday night and it had a dead battery......the multimeter that is.

New 23A battery installed I escaped my wife for a bit tonight while she was making 15lbs of mashed potatoes and snuck off to the garage.

Battery is returning 11.1v, putting the leads on the solenoid gave me 8.8v, keeping the leads of the meter on the solenoid when I try to start it shows it jump to between 50v and 100v for half a second before dropping back down to just under 10v.

Don't know if this means anything to anyone or helps verify if its the solenoid or not but getting a reading off things is a step in the right direction.

right........?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NGchd2xIST44S8K1Tzx4Rd5ga3pyslYyYFYP6e50Yvnzk0p936NjvSE5KFhLlFRN