1 2
Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 HalfDork
5/7/15 10:11 a.m.

You got it. The 3a and 9a are the Same block just got different internal parts (int shaft, pistons, etc) as one is 8v the other is 16v. Both are shorter deck/rods than the aba so you need the longer aba belt.

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture Dork
5/7/15 11:00 a.m.

Thank you!

So you said you built one of these. Any other gotchas I ought to be aware of?

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 HalfDork
5/7/15 1:31 p.m.

The distributor is likely a 3a or a hybrid stocker w the tt adapter. Just be aware its not a regular stock piece.

Also get an aftermarket cam in it.

What fuel/ignition system does it run?

Very reliable, cheap and simple are the good points of this motor.

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture Dork
5/8/15 6:50 a.m.
Paul_VR6 wrote: The distributor is likely a 3a or a hybrid stocker w the tt adapter. Just be aware its not a regular stock piece. Also get an aftermarket cam in it. What fuel/ignition system does it run? Very reliable, cheap and simple are the good points of this motor.

I'll have to look at the distributor...

The cam is a custom one. Reallllll nice.

Almost like the Rabit CIS. No 'E'. Nothing electric other than the cold start injector. The PO had the fuel distributor tuned pretty well as best I can tell, the car pulls great

Reliable, Cheap and simple is perfect. Have anything to add about the compression ratio? There is no knock sensor or anything on it.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 HalfDork
5/8/15 11:29 a.m.

Compression is only 10:1 if the head is stock. I ran mine on 93 octane with 33deg timing for best power, no pinging, ever. Bigger cam may like and take more, mine was just a TT 268.

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
5/8/15 1:26 p.m.
SlickDizzy wrote:
chrispy wrote: Stock 8V MK2s are non-interference, 16V are...The intank pump is an inexpensive unit, the main pump is $300.
If the car has one of the factory "big cams" or an aftermarket cam of any kind, then that may not be true. My Mk1 GLI 8v was definitely interference and many 8v owners have bent valves at high speed in the past, it does happen. Also, when I bought a main pump for my 16v a month ago I saw that both 8v and 16v Bosch surge pumps are available for about $120 now. It's the housing that's exorbitant.

I'm pretty sure that it's actually the high compression 8v's are interference, but the low compression 8v's aren't. The piston dish is deeper on the 8.5:1 8v than it is on the 10:1 8v. The cam could be a factor too, but I've never run into that.

drummerfromdefleopard
drummerfromdefleopard GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/8/15 9:57 p.m.

Bob, hit up Scott at USRT (magazine advertisers) about any questions on the rally construction side of the car. And build thread!

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture Dork
5/12/15 6:03 p.m.

USRT, I've seen their website I think. I'll have to call.

Really, A build thread? I don't think I've ever had anything I've done be interesting enough for a build thread!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0jd1IxmvaWRu7Qx96X7HTJVd5OXu9w5Ali8oc4XLHhGNQvy82q2etqVLOPrqaJAE