Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
11/6/19 8:15 a.m.

I don’t think about supercars much. I know a lot of car people do, because they ask me about them. And I have to admit that when I am asked about the latest McLaren, Ferrari or Aston Martin, I usually sidestep the subject. I just don’t spend much time reading dream car-type magazines or their equivalent websites.

Still, new cars–both …

Read the rest of the story

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/6/19 8:51 a.m.

In reply to Tim Suddard :

Just consider it a replacement for the van. 

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy Reader
11/6/19 9:18 a.m.

This is why wagons reign supreme.

I just know the likelihood of it coming down in price will not happen anytime soon.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/6/19 9:45 a.m.

$106k? Nope, not for me. Though a super wagon is appealing for sure.

The good news is they should be available for pennies on the dollar in 10 years.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
11/6/19 10:38 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

Sadly the top tier wagons don't depreciate like the more common stuff. Look at an older e63 wagon; I think they're still in the $50k range after 5 years or so. So sad.

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
11/6/19 11:01 a.m.

I've driven some pretty fast wagons, and i do love wagons. I actually have two fairly slow wagons in my current DD rotation.  The question for me is how fast does it have to be before i care enough to spend big money. My experience so far tells me that number has to be at least 600hp.  For that reason, I am going to avoid all 600+hp station wagons. I'm just not ready to be filled with angst about getting one! cheeky

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/6/19 11:02 a.m.
dculberson said:

In reply to Toyman01 :

Sadly the top tier wagons don't depreciate like the more common stuff. Look at an older e63 wagon; I think they're still in the $50k range after 5 years or so. So sad.

This is a sad truth.

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
11/6/19 11:16 a.m.

I might say the CTS-V wagon with a manual *could* be held in higher regard, but man these things are just amazing. It is a shame they don't depreciate like the rest of the lineup.

I am constantly trying to figure out what is the closest thing to this E-AMG-wagon under $20k (my budget), but obviously no such thing exists.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/6/19 11:46 a.m.
dculberson said:

In reply to Toyman01 :

The wagons do bring extra money. I found a 07 listed for $23k, but 10 year old AMG sedans are under $15k and several are down around $10k. With list prices at $90k+, that's in the pennies on the dollar range to me. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/6/19 11:49 a.m.

In reply to CobraSpdRH :

Probably one of the non-AMG Benz wagons with a V8.  A quick bit of searching shows a lot of them and many for far under your budget, thanks to more normal luxury car depreciation. 

I remember when I first read this column in the magazine.  Made me want one then as well.  Also doesn't help one of my MINI club friends bought an E450 wagon last year.

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
11/6/19 12:05 p.m.

See also:

Don't think MB imported these, though.

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/6/19 1:41 p.m.

So this is how we find out the magazine is for sale? I kid. 

I drove the older model a few times and loved it. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
11/6/19 2:11 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

Sure but price a big standard 10 year old s class. $90k cars new now $5k. That's the depreciation I would like to see on these but we never will. That's pennies on the dollar to me. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/6/19 2:12 p.m.

Tim,

Stepping over to the "dark side" of Mercedes Is allot of fun.  I recently acquired a BiTurbo CLS 550 4matic .  0-60 under 4 seconds.  The response you get from passengers is very entertaining.   Giggling, screaming, turning white and clutching on to things, a constant uncontrolled babbling of expletives are all part of the fun you can expect from your passenger.  It is especially entertaining from those that say something to the effect that "It is a Mercedes how fast can it be" before you take them for a ride.  

The combination of the exhaust note on acceleration and the crackling overrun on downshifts just never gets old. 

People say you don't need a car like this. I think it really is a case of people just don't know they need a car like this. 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/6/19 4:09 p.m.

The Audi Avant S6 was a pretty mean wagon, too, but it wasn't quite as amazing as the Merc.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/6/19 8:14 p.m.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next AMG wagons are hybrid based, if that's the case these won't depricate. 

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy Reader
11/7/19 8:33 a.m.

Did a search of 500 miles from my KC Metro location and these are the only AMG wagons available on Cars...

Same dealer. These guys actually tend to have a plethora of pretty cool cars every time I'm searching for something specific.

Both expensive as all hell.

mfennell
mfennell Reader
11/7/19 8:39 a.m.

I friend of mine has '16ish version of this car.  In brown.  Traded in a C6 Z06 for it.  He loves it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sm5wivojkitGyFxJyMsYisxwlnAAFvIU9IGEbfb8gVZn4BmqP2bhJsK200Qv7ACC