lordspacecowboy
lordspacecowboy None
5/10/13 10:13 a.m.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I am taking my FR-S to it's second autocross tomorrow and I am running 215 G-Force Rivals. I know I will have to fine tune the air pressure, but I have no idea what tire pressure I should start the car with. I've have not ever used super summer tires, and I've read that some like high pressure, and some like low. The temperature should be in the 70s when I run.

Anyone have any experience with the Rivals on a semi-lightweight RWD car?

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
5/10/13 11:10 a.m.

I think I would start with 38 all around. Andy Hollis tested the Rivals in the most recent issue and ended up around there.

Mmadness
Mmadness Reader
5/10/13 2:20 p.m.

Why not just take it to an empty parking lot before hand and run circles? http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pRhTUf9iaG4

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky Dork
5/10/13 2:26 p.m.
Mmadness wrote: Why not just take it to an empty parking lot before hand and run circles? http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pRhTUf9iaG4

Make sure that if you do, post a video. I want to see how long it takes for the cops to show up and hand out reckless driving citations

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
5/10/13 3:03 p.m.

Everyone has said that they like more pressure than star specs. 2-5 lbs more.

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
5/10/13 4:00 p.m.

Are you actually daily driving the car on the Rivals? If you are, and you have a few miles on them, I would be interested in your thoughts.

Traditionally I have always run the fleet on Falken Azenis. I never had an issue with wear or wet weather.

So far the FRS is still rolling on the stock rubber. What reading I have done on the Rivals makes me want them. However, I am not clear on how suitable they are for the task of everyday driving.

What with winter intermission and all, the tires will only see 4-5k miles a year, so wear is not a huge concern. 2 summers is good enough life for me.

Mmadness
Mmadness Reader
5/10/13 7:08 p.m.
Cone_Junky wrote:
Mmadness wrote: Why not just take it to an empty parking lot before hand and run circles? http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pRhTUf9iaG4
Make sure that if you do, post a video. I want to see how long it takes for the cops to show up and hand out reckless driving citations

I've always wondered why cops are such shiny happy people when you drive hard in an empty parking lot (especially ones with only one entrance/exit). Make sure you cruise the entire area first (within about half a mile), learned that one that one the hard way.

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
5/10/13 7:46 p.m.

I take it back - the Rivals ended up at 32 psi in Andy's test, not 38.

iceracer
iceracer UberDork
5/12/13 10:40 a.m.
jstein77 wrote: I take it back - the Rivals ended up at 32 psi in Andy's test, not 38.

Beat me to it. 32 psi. according to GRM magazine.

lordspacecowboy
lordspacecowboy New Reader
5/12/13 12:52 p.m.

One of the faster guys in out region had an FR-S with Rivals and he ran 41-39. I kept the pressure at 38 and the car felt very neutral. Upon checking the sidewall for flexing, I probably could have ran a little more pressure. Am I missing something why the GRM test ran 32s?

As for DDing these tires; I have a second set of tires and have only driven the tires through a few puddles. When I did the lack of grip was frightening. I had not broken the tires in at that point, but I would not DD these in areas with alot of rain.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mauxmC4YhFyDI8F6Y7nlJpd6BFeSuHMbjaSqzhmxLCqX7HS5yJKnuDdw4xJH5DrY