glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/13/18 6:38 p.m.

85 Toyota Celica, power steering rack.  I ordered a replacement rebuilt from Rock Auto.  Didn't look at it until I installed it.  One of the fittings for a pressure line to the PS pump are messed up.  I don't think I did it since I had a pretty straight shot and it never wanted to start the threads.  I took the rack back off and the first few threads are definitely damaged.  Is there a way to clean these with a tap?  Since it is the flared fitting pressure line, will it be a normal metric tap that I will be able to find?  It's something larger than M12, that's all I've got for now.

spandak
spandak New Reader
1/13/18 7:54 p.m.

You should be able to find a pipe thread tap at a graingers or similar. Large metric taps aren't found at normal stores in my area. If it's what I'm imagining it should be pretty straight forward. 

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/13/18 7:59 p.m.

It won't be a taper thread but I don't know if it'll be a common size.  You'll need a metric thread pitch gauge or match it up with a capscrew.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/14/18 9:32 a.m.

Toyota threw in some random BSPT fittings here and there, just in case nothing seems to fit.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/14/18 10:25 a.m.

If you have the male threaded part I would take that and try to match up something to it. 

dean1484
1/14/18 10:31 a.m.

Quick bit of Google Fu found. 

Pressure port. M16x1.5

Return port. M17x1.5

dean1484
1/14/18 10:32 a.m.
Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
1/14/18 10:35 a.m.

In reply to Tyler H :

The only one I know of is the oil pressure sender.  Do you know of others?

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/14/18 10:57 a.m.
Dr. Hess said:

In reply to Tyler H :

The only one I know of is the oil pressure sender.  Do you know of others?

Diff breathers and intake manifold plumbing on 22res. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/14/18 12:20 p.m.

Return it?  That is a valid reason to return a part.  Happens all the time.

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 New Reader
1/14/18 1:34 p.m.

^ Rock Auto returns are a pain he's going to have to box it up and ship it on his dime only for them to decide he damaged the threads and that they won't do anything. 

One of the back of a van sales guys who comes by my shop had flare thread repair tools that do work quite well I'm not sure if you'll be able to find them in the size you're after. 

Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
1/14/18 3:05 p.m.

I own an ‘85 ra64 myself and have been messing with the power steering while doing the 1uzfe swap. The PS thread size on the rack is  m17x1.5. ALL TOYOTA from 70-late 90’s used this size for the pressure hose from the pump. If you can find a tool to correct the threads in that size, great. Otherwise, pop over to the celicagts.com forum and we will get you hooked up. The cooling loop is a different size  the cooling loop is the two lines that are directly below the bell housing, the pressure and return are off to the driver’s side of the bellhousing  

https://xcessivemanufacturing.com/replacement-hardware/ps-line-kits/xm-universal-universal-hardware-uh-hlk-s14.html

ps- these cars grow on trees in Oregon. I’m sure we can find you another rack-EASILY. 

Kramer
Kramer Dork
1/14/18 6:39 p.m.

BTDT.  Take a junk PS hose and cut off the nut.  Or buy a nut from an auto parts store.  With a sharp hacksaw, cut a slot in the nut straight across the threads.  Now that nut will become a thread chaser.  

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/16/18 6:54 a.m.

It's the cooling loop part, and I think I have a plan - we'll see if it works this weekend.   And thanks, Trackmouse, I forgot about celicagts.com.  I am on there, just with so many cars I don't have enough time to frequent all of the marque forums and came here as the go-to.  It's also funny - a tap is $30 and an entire rack is $100.....

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/16/18 7:48 a.m.

If it's only the top two turns that are buggered up and you have five or six turns deep, Dremmel out or polish up the damaged  area?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oF5CPr1bVgOHD0dHK89eUK2vR8JsUmsbAAxz9TnxTmnnnw6dtoHi4UAcNTFd4rRZ