Jerry SuperDork
April 24, 2015 8:20 a.m.

So new wheels and tires, yay! But I've noticed on the highway that I get steering wheel vibration that over the course of say 1-2 miles on I-75 that doesn't change, the vibration and shake will come and go.

I mean it'll be nothing, then I can feel (& visibily see) it fade in for awhile, then disappear, without any noticeable change in road condition... The seller did quite a bit of suspension work before I bought it, and I trust him entirely (Mike Helm, club races an MR2 and much experience). Trying to remember everything he said he did. Springs, struts, ...

Assuming the brand new tires are properly balanced, what should I check next? The coming and going is really what has me confused.

Powar SuperDork
April 24, 2015 8:22 a.m.

I wouldn't assume the new wheels and tires are properly balanced, personally. When dealing with the small light rolling stock on your car, it's going to be super sensitive to that. I've had this issue on my Miata three or four times over the past ten years when getting new tires.

JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
April 24, 2015 8:39 a.m.

It is the bushings inside the steering rack. It is accentuated by the v-tread tires you recently mounted.

That was my personal experience on my '88 MR2 SC.

racerdave600 SuperDork
April 24, 2015 10:36 a.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: It is the bushings inside the steering rack. It is accentuated by the v-tread tires you recently mounted. That was my personal experience on my '88 MR2 SC.

This. I had the exact same issue on one of mine. Replaced the plastic cup looking bushing inside the steering rack and it went away.

Jerry SuperDork
April 24, 2015 2:45 p.m.
racerdave600 wrote:
JohnRW1621 wrote: It is the bushings inside the steering rack. It is accentuated by the v-tread tires you recently mounted. That was my personal experience on my '88 MR2 SC.

This. I had the exact same issue on one of mine. Replaced the plastic cup looking bushing inside the steering rack and it went away.

These guys? ( BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 )

Hmmmm probably the only bushing/part that wasn't replaced by my friend, so I'll definitely try that first.

JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
April 24, 2015 3:03 p.m.

Do you have another set of 4x100 rims with straighter tread that you can swap on for some testing?

Will SuperDork
April 24, 2015 6:28 p.m.

I had the same vibration on my SW20. I eliminated the problem by wrecking the car.

wae HalfDork
April 24, 2015 8:09 p.m.
Will wrote: I had the same vibration on my SW20. I eliminated the problem by wrecking the car.

I'm not sure what could be causing the vibration. But I can pretty confidently recommend doing not that.

Will SuperDork
April 24, 2015 9:04 p.m.
wae wrote:
Will wrote: I had the same vibration on my SW20. I eliminated the problem by wrecking the car.

I'm not sure what could be causing the vibration. But I can pretty confidently recommend doing not that.

I confidently recommend not having an Explorer turn in front of you, but it wasn't really up to me.

Jerry SuperDork
April 25, 2015 11:46 a.m.

So would this be the item in question?

MKI MR2 Steering Rack Bushings [18-702] MKI MR2 Steering Rack Bushings Prothane's rigid polyurethane bushings replace the factory rubber bushings that attach the steering rack to the car body.

2's R Us site

JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
April 25, 2015 12:30 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A3ri-vU1U4

Watch video.
White bushing INSIDE steering rack.

My solution was to go back to tires in the front that had straight (non-V) tread.

http://www.mr2.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-77370.html

evildky SuperDork
April 28, 2015 12:07 p.m.

Were the TC rod bushings replaced?

Jerry SuperDork
April 29, 2015 8:11 a.m.

In reply to evildky:

Since I'm not sure what they are, I'd have to ask. I think I'm going to try the bushing above (Mike says he might have one laying around, big surprise) and maybe have them check the wheel balances. Just in case.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Your Projects: Wide-Body, V8-Powered Porsche 944

8 hours ago in News

Wing, flares, V8 swap and more!

You Need This: Eclipse!

8 hours ago in News

Today's special.

Your Projects: Boosted and Flared E30 BMW

10 hours ago in News

Another forum member put it best: “This build is absolutely mental. And I mean that in the best possible way.”

You Need This: 1990 Suzuki Carry 4WD Mini-Truck

11 hours ago in News

It looks cool, matches our cargo shorts, and makes little sense.

Concours d’Lemons: Showcasing the Best of the Worst and the Worst of the Best

12 hours ago in Articles

This year’s Concours d’Lemons celebrated two cars rarely associated with the glitz and glamor of Monterey.

You Need This: Gullwing Doors and Exotic Styling for Just $1500

14 hours ago in News

Meet some brown ’70s awesomeness.

Acura Unveils New Prototype Race Car in Monterey

2 days ago in News

Acura yesterday unveiled the new Acura ARX-05 prototype race car.

We're Back In Monterey for Car Week

3 days ago in News

And so it begins, another trip to Monterey Car Week.

Mark Your Calendars: August 18 Is Wear Your Helmet to Work Day

3 days ago in News

Wear your racing gear to work and win prizes.

You Need This: A Real 1LE Camaro

3 days ago in News

Chevy only built 62 1LE Camaros that year.

Little Car Show: Celebrating All Things Quirky and Small

4 days ago in Articles

As the name suggests, the Little Car Show is all about little cars.

Concours d’Lemons to Ruin Monterey Car Week Yet Again

4 days ago in News

What started as the anti-concours has transformed into a major event on the Monterey Car Week schedule.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
ahfxbeXEbEHyx34O6kpLcMG7V19acpXd