Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
4/24/15 8:20 a.m.

So new wheels and tires, yay! But I've noticed on the highway that I get steering wheel vibration that over the course of say 1-2 miles on I-75 that doesn't change, the vibration and shake will come and go.

I mean it'll be nothing, then I can feel (& visibily see) it fade in for awhile, then disappear, without any noticeable change in road condition... The seller did quite a bit of suspension work before I bought it, and I trust him entirely (Mike Helm, club races an MR2 and much experience). Trying to remember everything he said he did. Springs, struts, ...

Assuming the brand new tires are properly balanced, what should I check next? The coming and going is really what has me confused.

Powar
Powar SuperDork
4/24/15 8:22 a.m.

I wouldn't assume the new wheels and tires are properly balanced, personally. When dealing with the small light rolling stock on your car, it's going to be super sensitive to that. I've had this issue on my Miata three or four times over the past ten years when getting new tires.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
4/24/15 8:39 a.m.

It is the bushings inside the steering rack. It is accentuated by the v-tread tires you recently mounted.

That was my personal experience on my '88 MR2 SC.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
4/24/15 10:36 a.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: It is the bushings inside the steering rack. It is accentuated by the v-tread tires you recently mounted. That was my personal experience on my '88 MR2 SC.

This. I had the exact same issue on one of mine. Replaced the plastic cup looking bushing inside the steering rack and it went away.

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
4/24/15 2:45 p.m.
racerdave600 wrote:
JohnRW1621 wrote: It is the bushings inside the steering rack. It is accentuated by the v-tread tires you recently mounted. That was my personal experience on my '88 MR2 SC.

This. I had the exact same issue on one of mine. Replaced the plastic cup looking bushing inside the steering rack and it went away.

These guys? ( BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 )

Hmmmm probably the only bushing/part that wasn't replaced by my friend, so I'll definitely try that first.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
4/24/15 3:03 p.m.

Do you have another set of 4x100 rims with straighter tread that you can swap on for some testing?

Will
Will SuperDork
4/24/15 6:28 p.m.

I had the same vibration on my SW20. I eliminated the problem by wrecking the car.

wae
wae HalfDork
4/24/15 8:09 p.m.
Will wrote: I had the same vibration on my SW20. I eliminated the problem by wrecking the car.

I'm not sure what could be causing the vibration. But I can pretty confidently recommend doing not that.

Will
Will SuperDork
4/24/15 9:04 p.m.
wae wrote:
Will wrote: I had the same vibration on my SW20. I eliminated the problem by wrecking the car.

I'm not sure what could be causing the vibration. But I can pretty confidently recommend doing not that.

I confidently recommend not having an Explorer turn in front of you, but it wasn't really up to me.

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
4/25/15 11:46 a.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: It is the bushings inside the steering rack. It is accentuated by the v-tread tires you recently mounted. That was my personal experience on my '88 MR2 SC.

So would this be the item in question?

MKI MR2 Steering Rack Bushings [18-702] MKI MR2 Steering Rack Bushings Prothane's rigid polyurethane bushings replace the factory rubber bushings that attach the steering rack to the car body.

2's R Us site

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
4/25/15 12:30 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A3ri-vU1U4

Watch video.
White bushing INSIDE steering rack.

My solution was to go back to tires in the front that had straight (non-V) tread.

http://www.mr2.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-77370.html

evildky
evildky SuperDork
4/28/15 12:07 p.m.

Were the TC rod bushings replaced?

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
4/29/15 8:11 a.m.

In reply to evildky:

Since I'm not sure what they are, I'd have to ask. I think I'm going to try the bushing above (Mike says he might have one laying around, big surprise) and maybe have them check the wheel balances. Just in case.

Our Preferred Partners
Uxqp8N5tJYJbnNQ1C5PRXeRgehghhel4