njansenv HalfDork
Oct. 11, 2010 9:04 p.m.

So I uh...

bought....another car.

And came here looking for tips.
1998 Subaru Impreza wagon. Stock STI v4 (280hp) swap with RA transmission and aftermarket (meh) exhaust Cusco "2" coil-overs

It's not all that great cosmetically, but Stace (SWMBO) loves it...and this car will replace our eminently practical but boring Protege. Any tips? It's red..now, but we're looking into "flat" colors: black, silver and "world rally" blue are being investigated. Any tips to shooting flat finish paints? Am I mad?

Appleseed SuperDork
Oct. 11, 2010 9:07 p.m.

Pics or it didn't happen.

dyintorace SuperDork
Oct. 11, 2010 9:08 p.m.

How dare you post this without pictures! Have you no care for the rest of us??

MrJoshua SuperDork
Oct. 11, 2010 9:22 p.m.

That sounds nice.

RexSeven Dork
Oct. 11, 2010 9:28 p.m.

njansenv HalfDork
Oct. 11, 2010 9:39 p.m.

^ I'm not sure how to read that post. Sarcastically, I suppose..not what I expected on this forum.

For the rest, a pic:

Any tips from anyone: good forums for marque specific info? I'm new to subies. Serious question. Any areas for caution or tips?
IE: If someone asked about E36 M3's, I'd suggest checking the cooling system.

dyintorace SuperDork
Oct. 11, 2010 9:41 p.m.

Wow...that thing is low!

Congrats. That sounds/looks like a very cool car!

njansenv HalfDork
Oct. 11, 2010 9:44 p.m.

Thanks! It's not as clean as that picture appears...and it's going to get raised up to a more sane level.

RexSeven Dork
Oct. 11, 2010 9:46 p.m.
njansenv wrote: ^ I'm not sure how to read that post. Sarcastically, I suppose..not what I expected on this forum.

Yes, it was sarcasm. I was just ribbing you so you could show me a picture. I'll take the 15-yard penalty for incorrect use of the "CSB" meme. The new ride looks sweet, BTW.

njansenv HalfDork
Oct. 11, 2010 9:48 p.m.

Thanks: sorry for mis-interpreting. I HOPE the ride is sweet, but only time will tell really. I've bought lemons before.

I'm COMPLETELY new to the Subaru world, though I've been eying WRX wagons for some time: we took a bugeye out some time ago and LOVED it. It's helps that i can use "snow" as a "sorta" good excuse to get one.

RexSeven Dork
Oct. 11, 2010 10:05 p.m.

Naw, it's my fault. I should have noticed that "CSB" usually has a mean connotation to it.

Teh E36 M3 HalfDork
Oct. 11, 2010 10:08 p.m.

That is berkeleying cool. I love my WRX wagon, but that is another world. Well done.
Raise it back to correct height, and rally cross the E36 M3 out of it. Or go full ZAV.

njansenv HalfDork
Oct. 11, 2010 10:21 p.m.

We just got back from running Allegeny "non-maintained" gravel roads in the 328i. I'm REALLY tempted to go ZAV...but probably won't.

Spinout007 Dork
Oct. 11, 2010 11:14 p.m.

Yup this just confirms my need of a wrx bugeye wagon.....definitely jealous, my wives exact words would likely have been: "what do we need a wagon for? We don't have kids! " congratulations on the cool new ride.

MrJoshua SuperDork
Oct. 11, 2010 11:19 p.m.

In reply to Spinout007's wife:

8 dogs!

ZOO Dork
Oct. 12, 2010 4:19 a.m.

Cool car, Nathan. One of the CASC regional guys has a similar car (unless it is THIS car) -- Mike. It is unwordly fast. I don't know his screen name on any of the forums, unfortunately, but he'd be worth tracking down. A post at the CASC regional forum may turn him up.

Mikey52_1
Mikey52_1 Reader
Oct. 12, 2010 5:22 a.m.

So...you bought a car, brought it up here, and wanted SERIOUS? Yeah, right!

Cool car; wish it were mine. With, or without, the chassis clearance 'problems'.

Adrian_Thompson HalfDork
Oct. 12, 2010 8:56 a.m.

OOhh, I may work for the Blue oval, but that thing is totaly my bag baby. I hate flat colors, it's the most over done, worn out before it started trend there is. I vote a stock color, not Word Rally blue, but something subtle. Paint the calipers black so they don't stand out and paint the wheels plain silver as well. If it's got a front mount interdooler I'd ditch the hood scoop for a plain hood as well. Get a good quality but quiet exhaust and go ubber stealth.

DaveEstey Reader
Oct. 12, 2010 11:54 a.m.

looks great!

Check out vinyl wraps too, non permanent and you can remove them 5 years down the road and still have the stock paint.

Check the oil religiously.

NASIOC.com is ok but use the search feature unless you want to get flamed to death.

Matt B HalfDork
Oct. 12, 2010 3:02 p.m.

I like the early Impreza's the best, and the fact that it's also a swapped wagon makes it peg the schwing-meter. Nice acquisition there.

I also vote non-flat paint, for similar reasons already stated. The vinyl wrap is an interesting idea though.

That said, Rhino-lining the thing is somehow different in my mind . . .

Brett_Murphy New Reader
Oct. 12, 2010 3:13 p.m.

In reply to njansenv:

Dirtyimpreza.com is pretty good if you're looking for off road tips.

njansenv HalfDork
Oct. 12, 2010 8:28 p.m.

Thanks guys. I just got home with it after about an hr drive.

I have this to say: I think a LOT more highly of Subaru's now than I did yesterday. The thing is an absolute riot: by the butt dyno, it feels quicker than the LT1 Corvette, yet has a full back seat, the practicality of a wagon... and the beauty of AWD. I'll be looking more closely at it this weekend: it was essentially a "sight unseen" purchase...but so far I think it's the best $3500 I've ever spent!

It DEFINITELY needs to get raised a bit, and as nice as the flat 4 sounds, this aftermarket exhaust has to go. It's much cleaner than the owner described (a nice surprise), so paint is going to wait for now. Off to dirty impreza...

EvanB Dork
Oct. 12, 2010 9:03 p.m.

$3500? What a score

Vigo HalfDork
Oct. 12, 2010 10:22 p.m.

Heh, and comparing the accel to an LT1 corvette is an easy way to make something seem fast. I have a K-car that accelerates harder than an LT1 vette.. id still buy one, though.

Id definitely buy this car before a c4, though.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Concours d’Lemons: Showcasing the Best of the Worst and the Worst of the Best

21 hours ago in Articles

This year’s Concours d’Lemons celebrated two cars rarely associated with the glitz and glamor of Monterey.

Your Projects: Wide-Body, V8-Powered Porsche 944

21 hours ago in News

Wing, flares, V8 swap and more!

Acura Unveils New Prototype Race Car in Monterey

1 day ago in News

Acura yesterday unveiled the new Acura ARX-05 prototype race car.

We're Back In Monterey for Car Week

1 day ago in News

And so it begins, another trip to Monterey Car Week.

Mark Your Calendars: August 18 Is Wear Your Helmet to Work Day

2 days ago in News

Wear your racing gear to work and win prizes.

You Need This: A Real 1LE Camaro

2 days ago in News

Chevy only built 62 1LE Camaros that year.

Little Car Show: Celebrating All Things Quirky and Small

3 days ago in Articles

As the name suggests, the Little Car Show is all about little cars.

Concours d’Lemons to Ruin Monterey Car Week Yet Again

3 days ago in News

What started as the anti-concours has transformed into a major event on the Monterey Car Week schedule.

You Need This: A Quite Eye-Catching Green Over Red Ferrari

3 days ago in News

Not your usual Ferrari color combo.

Your Projects: JDM Autozam AZ-1 Kei Car

3 days ago in News

What are the realities of importing a JDM kei car to the U.S.?

Bid on a New Helmet and Save Some Puppies and Kittens!

3 days ago in News

Four helmets will be auctioned off.

Tonight on Grassroots Motorsports LIVE! Lee Grimes of Koni Shocks

3 days ago in News

This may shock you, but suspension is arguably the most important part of going fast.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
wHT4bim2S3m8Y2eoc4t7JKJgoApW5voS