hotchocolate
hotchocolate
9/13/10 8:10 p.m.

Hello guys, If there is any group in the world that can help me with this it is you. Anyway, my sister-in-law had a baby so i decided to go visit her. About 15 miles outside of Janeseville, WI i hear this loud noise. Thinking i have a flat i stopped to check. NO flat, but there is a loud rubbing noise. I looked underneath the car and saw nothing missing. I limped the car to my destination only to find out that i just lost a rear shock mounting bolt and have a flat (from driving on the shoulder of I-90).

The baby is beautiful--less than 24 hours old and the smallest human I have ever held:)

All this to to ask: Where can i find a replacement bolt ASAP? is there a non BMW replacement i can use to get me back home? I will be trying the junk yards tomorrow. Fortunately my wife is here and i can use her car.

Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
9/13/10 8:14 p.m.

If the same bolt on the other side is still there just remove it and match it at a GOOD hardware store is all I can think of.

Edit: what chassis number? How about RealOEM.com ? When you finally get to the photos there is a callout for length and thread size on the bolts and hardware.

hotchocolate
hotchocolate New Reader
9/13/10 8:25 p.m.

E36. I thought about removing the other one, but i figured i will ask first. No tools so i want to find the easiest way to do it. i will check the real OEM site. Thanks for the input.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
9/13/10 8:41 p.m.
hotchocolate wrote: E36. I thought about removing the other one, but i figured i will ask first. No tools so i want to find the easiest way to do it. i will check the real OEM site. Thanks for the input.

If you click on my link it should bring you right to the rear shock picture for your car

hotchocolate
hotchocolate New Reader
9/13/10 9:14 p.m.

Thanks for the link. It was very helpful. I will check the hardware stores tomorrow. I found an M12x1.5x50 at oreilly's. hopefully 60 is not too hard to find.

WilberM3
WilberM3 Reader
9/13/10 9:41 p.m.

its probably a hardened bolt of either 9.8 or 10.9, if not 12.9. if you can read any ratings on the non-broken bolt head try to match that up.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Reader
9/13/10 10:06 p.m.

Would a 50 work in a pinch? Otherwise Fastenal can overnight it if they dont have it in stock, and there is a good chance there is a Fastenal near you.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/13/10 10:50 p.m.

in a pinch.. you could just remove the rear shock completely.. it will be an odd ride, but it will get you home..

hotchocolate
hotchocolate New Reader
9/13/10 10:54 p.m.

Thanks, i will check fastenal. If they dont have it i will try to use the 50 to get me home. i will keep y'all up dated

irish44j
irish44j HalfDork
9/13/10 11:03 p.m.

McMaster-Carr is another option if fastenal doesn't have one in stock...

unevolved
unevolved HalfDork
9/13/10 11:57 p.m.

Check Ace Hardware. I've been impressed with their hardware selection in the past.

ansonivan
ansonivan HalfDork
9/14/10 6:40 a.m.

Have you checked the condition of the threaded hole in the rear trailing arm? I've seen people loose those bolts on a few occasions and the trailing arm has been damaged about half the time.

Also, don't try forcing the incorrect bolt into place or using a shorter one, replacing the trailing arm is no fun.

If it happens to be the passenger side trailing arm I do have a spare M3 arm I can ship you for a bargain basement price.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/14/10 8:40 a.m.

what model of BMW is this anyway? If it is e30 shaped, you CAN run without the rear shock. I did it in my Ti when the bilstiens worked their way loose OVER the stock mounting bolt. I was on the PA turnpike when the car started behaving oddly, a look under the car showed the shock just hanging there.

A trip to the nearest Lowes netted me the washers I needed to put that problem to rights.. but it was a 30 mile trip at highway speeds..

hotchocolate
hotchocolate New Reader
9/14/10 11:06 p.m.

Thanks guys. I knew i could count on you. The realoem website was/is very helpful. I found a temporary fix (8.8 m12x1.5x60) at ACE hardware. I made it home safely. I will order the proper part and make it a permanent fix.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ms7fIzOl1ubXIIpHg20R6lt4iZ4tNkxcinf9JirT4PoCIGFW3dE53HRIAXTc2TyS