1 2
pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/23/17 11:39 a.m.

I have found the new Hawk 5.0 pads to be very quiet on the street with relatively low dust. They are comparable to the HPS on the track.

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
1/23/17 7:49 p.m.

I'm surprised to see so many positive reviews of yellowstuff. Just about everything I've seen elsewhere on the internet has been pretty negative.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
1/23/17 8:13 p.m.

In reply to red_stapler:

It's like how the internet says every RX-8 purchase will end in tears, or how all post-Y2K Benzes are horrifically unreliable and both expensive and time consuming to repair, or how engine swaps are super easy. There's a kernel of truth to most of these, but it was buried long ago by hearsay.

JAhmed
JAhmed Reader
1/23/17 9:48 p.m.

I ran Project Mu HC800+ on my WRX, and they were fantastic for squealing, making dust and neck injury. In other words...I loved them.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
1/24/17 8:02 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: I have found the new Hawk 5.0 pads to be very quiet on the street with relatively low dust. They are comparable to the HPS on the track.

Came here to say this. Put them on the Abarth when they first came out, love them. Autocross, track days, daily driven 30+ minutes to/fro work.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
1/24/17 12:15 p.m.

Hawk HP+ are miserable on the street and honestly kinda crappy on the track unless the car is really light.

Knowing that there really isn't such a thing as a dual use street/track pad out there, the closest I've ever found is the Ferodo DS2500.

BTD
BTD New Reader
1/24/17 12:30 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: I run EBC Yellowstuff on my Corolla. More civilized than cheap metallics (only a little screeching when stone cold, after the first couple stops they're quiet) and they're VERY sharp and shrug off any heat I can put into them with the AE92. If there's a problem with these pads it's that they're too easy to lock up the wheels with - pro drifters often run these in their separate hydraulic handbrake calipers because of how sharp they are. Now a WRX is a good 50% heavier than my Corolla but I still think these could be the perfect answer. The compound is more aggressive than what he has now, and anything more aggressive than these is going to be an all-out race pad.

I ran these on my '05 WRX and loved them as a dual use pad. My time was probably 95% street, 13% auto-x, 2% HPDE. Never had an issue with noise, dust, or heat.

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
1/24/17 4:02 p.m.
docwyte said: Knowing that there really isn't such a thing as a dual use street/track pad out there, the closest I've ever found is the Ferodo DS2500.

Well it is more possible today than it used to be - in the old days they used the best available pad material for racing - started with Formula 1 and trickled down to sports car racing and I used it for years - Ferodo DS11. Only problem was that it didn't stop worth a damn until it was hot and I routinely used to drag the ass of the race car into the pea gravel in the hairpin corner at the end of the long downhill straight at the local track.

They also specced DS11 as the stock street pad on my 1969 Lamborghini, which meant that you had a longer, not shorter stopping distance on your first stop on cold brakes. Not exactly ideal.

I have found modern compounds to be far better - the Porterfield R4 I used after the asbestos compounds became unavailable stopped far better from cold.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4Hk9tnvV5IWRxSgPLJRgAUR0tAPjjXwzPLjpazN6DFqKk9TqUyulKzyOhyKSnDqc