Presented by Nine Lives Racing
1 2
Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
5/23/17 2:15 p.m.

So after running the Ae86 at the MiDev I realized I need some more rear end grip. Thinking a wing will help. I would like to make it removable so I drive around with a big air-brake looking thing.

So TL;DR I need pics of removable SM legal wings and possibly tips on making one.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
5/23/17 2:20 p.m.

I'm not sure what wing profile you'll want, but this should be a good place to get a foam core to cover in FG/CF:

https://flyingfoam.com/

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
5/23/17 2:24 p.m.

Flying Foam was completely unresponsive when I was trying to buy sections from them for a similar project- maybe don't mention that it's for a car?

You could also just do a monster spoiler instead:

If it's bolted to the trunk lid, removal is simple- just swap trunk lids!

Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
5/23/17 4:26 p.m.

In reply to ¯_(ツ)_/¯:

I like this idea but getting another ae86 coupe trunk lid wouldnt be cheap or easy.

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/23/17 4:56 p.m.

A spoiler will provide a simpler and just as effective means of generating rear downforce as a well designed wing. Getting a wing big enough and setup properly is all about the details. A spoiler can be adjusted in height and angle pretty easily to get the balance you want/need. An added bonus is that the construction is simple. You can make a spoiler from carbon/glass and resin if you want to do that and it will weight less that polycarbonate or metal for the same size/strength. Bolting it on gives you the ability to remove it for 'normal' car use.

The biggest difference between downforce from a wing and a spoiler is the small drag gain. For autocross use the drag penatly is very small, even for a spoiler. Most cars are traction limited in the lower gears used for autcross, so the drag is not a major impact, but the downforce is real and can be VERY significant.

Ask any questions you might have.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
5/23/17 7:18 p.m.

Just make a fiberglass trunk lid using the factory one as a buck to save holes etc in the good one.

For SM I'd go with the dual element monster wing,but I don't know how SM'd your corolla is to justify it and Stafford is the man to listen too before me no doubt.

Big rabbit hole to go down to be competitive.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
5/24/17 6:30 a.m.

In reply to Fitzauto:

I don't know what the rules for street mod are now, but when I was still autocrossing you didn't need stock body panels, just an "equivalent replacement". What about a huge wing that bolts to something inside the trunk, removing the trunk lid entirely, and just covering the hole with a thin fabric or something?

For the wing itself, FSAE probably has the most insane levels of development for low speed car aero- and tons of people have written about it, so if you want some reading search "FSAE wing design" or similar.

Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
5/24/17 7:17 a.m.

In reply to ¯_(ツ)_/¯:

I think you at least need a panel now, so a fiberglass trunk lid may be the way to go.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/24/17 7:28 a.m.

or, if you go the wing route, a replacement bumper with long mounts.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
5/24/17 8:10 a.m.

In reply to ¯_(ツ)_/¯:

Flying foam was very responsive when I sent them my own cad files for a completely custom car wing.

This guy is 6' wide and has a 10" chord length

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
5/24/17 8:12 a.m.

In reply to DaveEstey:

Weird. I must have caught them during a break or something, or maybe my email went straight to spam.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
5/24/17 8:13 a.m.

In reply to ¯_(ツ)_/¯: Try again if you're still in the market. When I was talking to them they mentioned they do quite a few car wings.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
5/24/17 8:16 a.m.

http://cirodesignracing.com/ makes wing mounts should you need something along those lines as well. They made a set for me that I'll be able to glass right into the wing.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/24/17 8:33 a.m.

I want to go the Blackbird Fabworx route with a big rear spoiler. I'll just keep short links in the box so I can trim it out mostly flat for daily driving, and up steep for autox. I need a deeper front lip as well. I'm not the best driver by far, but I don't seem to have as much traction as I feel I should.

Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
5/24/17 8:47 a.m.

In reply to Duke:

This is what I was thinking but removable. I also relate to the not as much traction as I think should be there.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
5/24/17 8:49 a.m.

If you want to get the most out of it, I would think that (much like a wing) a spoiler should ideally have end plates.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
5/24/17 9:23 a.m.

These seem to do the trick in CSP for downforce.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
5/24/17 9:27 a.m.

A buddies AE86 he runs in SM. Spoiler is aluminum.

Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
5/24/17 10:08 a.m.

In reply to KyAllroad:

That car looks familiar. You dont happen to know his instagram name do you?

Sky_Render
Sky_Render SuperDork
5/24/17 10:14 a.m.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
5/24/17 10:18 a.m.

In reply to Fitzauto:

Sorry, no. I'm not an instagrammer.

Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
5/24/17 4:08 p.m.

Looks like its time to find a piece of lexan to work with.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
5/24/17 4:18 p.m.
Fitzauto wrote: In reply to Duke: This is what I was thinking but removable. I also relate to the not as much traction as I think should be there.

Keep in mind why these cars have a cult following.....they're perfect drift cars as the rear doesn't make much grip.

I can bore you to tears listing all the changes to my AE86 over 9 yrs of autox only use.

Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
5/24/17 5:22 p.m.

In reply to kevlarcorolla:

Id actually be very interested in that. Since buying it Ive decided it will be my main Autocross car.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
5/24/17 6:35 p.m.

Barely above freezing on R888's,first time on the new engine(only 8psi)first event of the yr up here in the north.

https://youtu.be/HjdvM3aS0TM

Send me an email and I'll do my best to help ya out.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tk4rh8BXQpUZx1rd7y2Hey1b0F9jr6G21J0vwYsWxuWiAS5vXW5OC9fIFhw0RUPY