91RSImpulse
91RSImpulse New Reader
1/4/12 11:22 a.m.

BMW Strut inserts W0133-1614977

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/details/QQBMWQQ3-dot-0SQQBilsteinQQStrut_InsertQQ1974QQW0133-1614977.html

They seem to be almost Universal to the BMWs of the 1970s

As some of you know I own a 1991 Isuzu Impulse RS, and well there is no aftermarket for these cars at all... I take that back, there are KYB GR2 struts available, but are seriously under dampened for anything sporty...

I was thinking about running these with Coilover Springs to keep the ride height down... I know that these are not meant to be lowered since they are the touring and not the sport... but for $30 dollars a strut, they are quite nice...

all 4 of the struts are blown on the car where one of the POs put coilover sleeves on stock struts, but it doesn't stop here though, they decided that it was not low enough so in turn cut the coilover springs down to about 2-3" inches...

unfortunately I am on a budget, and ran across these the other day and thought that I would search around to see what people though about them...

dbgrubbs
dbgrubbs New Reader
1/4/12 11:51 a.m.

In reply to 91RSImpulse:

You can use MR2 strut inserts in the rear with a little bit of modification. Anything from Gabriel to adjustable Tokico's or Koni's.

91RSImpulse
91RSImpulse New Reader
1/4/12 12:12 p.m.

my only concern is valving, the MR2 is a 2000-2400lb car where my Impulse is around 2700lbs.... The Insert above is valved for a 2800+ car, maybe I could give it a try...

I would love to use Konis especially when they have TrueChoice Motorsports within an hour from me, but at over $200 dollars for one, that really is not a budget savy price...

I know that the Celica guys also use the MR2 inserts in their cars, so I guess that would open up the market quite a bit...

dbgrubbs
dbgrubbs New Reader
1/4/12 12:21 p.m.

In reply to 91RSImpulse:

It's the front struts from the MR2 that you need for the back of the Impulse. Very close to the same weight at those ends. I even had a tech at one of the custom shock companies verify that the valving would be close. I actually made two sets of these at one time. HUGE improvement !! When I did this I only paid about $100 per insert but of course I had other costs involving modifying the strut housing.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
1/4/12 12:24 p.m.

MR2 never weighed 2000lbs, unless we're talking about the last gen MRS Spyder that was 2150....?

Other than that, even the AW11 started at a beefy 2300-2400 and only went up.

dbgrubbs
dbgrubbs New Reader
1/4/12 12:30 p.m.

Here's the instructions from ages ago:

1991 Isuzu Impulse RS Rear Strut Conversion For this conversion you will need the original rear struts from the RS and new front strut cartridges for an '88 MR2. Different struts are available. Anywhere from Koni full adjustables, Tokico, KYB to cheap OEM type. I used Koni adjustables.

1) Cut the original strut housing right below the top weld mark. Cut all the way around the strut and remove all the internals.

2) Use a 1 1/8" hole saw and cut a hole centered in the bottom of the strut housing. The new cartridge will sit on the lip that is left on the bottom. Make sure the cartridge is centered on the lip.

3) A new threaded tube is needed. Inside diameter is 1 25/32". It's available at Carrera among other places. Also get the corresponding top nut.

4) Ream out the hole in the top nut so that it will bottom out on the outside cartridge housing (not the inside lip near the shaft).

5) Slide the new tube over the original strut housing. Make sure the length is proper before welding the tube to the original housing. The top nut should not bottom out completely to the tube with the cartridge installed. There should be a gap of about 1/8" between the nut and the tube. Weld the tube to the original housing.

6) Install the new cartridge and tighten the nut.

7) Install the plastic washer that comes with the cartridge above the top nut.

8) Cut the largest ring off the bump stop and install what remains on top of the plastic washer.

9) Use a 19/32" drill bit to enlarge the hole in the top spring retainer. This hole will need to be elongated to fit over the corresponding section on the cartridge. A dremel tool works well. Be careful not to oversize this hole. It must not be able to slide all the way down the shaft. It needs to be very snug. Reinstall the top spring retainer.

10) Using the same 19/32" bit, enlarge the hole in the top mount. Reinstall the top mount.

11) Use washers or appropriate spacers next so that the nut holds down the top mount. I had to use 5 washers.

12) Use the same 1 1/8" hole saw to drill a hole in the seat belt mount bracket just above the top strut mount in the car. This will provide access if you're using an adjustable strut.

13) Reinstall the strut.

91RSImpulse
91RSImpulse New Reader
1/5/12 7:33 a.m.

I have actually read that post over on www.isuzone.org several times since I have been a member there for almost 6 years now...

I am however curious to see if anyone ever ran the Bilstein inserts that I mentioned in my first post and what they thought about them...

I am really wanting to run matched struts if I can... I am building custom housing for the inserts...

I really would love to run Monotube strut inserts if I can find them for the right price... which I think Bilstein builds a insert for the Volkswagen A1 chassis...

I actually have been following Fiat x19 coilover build threads to get more ideas...

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/5/12 9:28 a.m.

We raced an asuna Sunfire 2 years ago. Its the same car without the turbo etc. We used shorter stiffer springs and really cranked up the swaybar preload. (circle track) Kind of the big bar soft spring idea. It really handled well and got rid of all the roll that is oddly designed into those cars. Sems easier than cutting struts.

91RSImpulse
91RSImpulse New Reader
1/5/12 2:34 p.m.

wish it was that simple... the current struts are blown beyond recognition at this point... there is no way to save these at all... as you can see by my picture; it tucks 14" wheels...

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/5/12 3:11 p.m.

Are the rear struts different from the asuna and the storm gsi? Our race car has at least 4 new ones and we have moved on to nissans

91RSImpulse
91RSImpulse New Reader
1/5/12 4:12 p.m.

the fronts are basically the same, but the rears due to the Lotus Tuned Suspension is different, There are no aftermarket struts available for the All-Wheel Drive RS model, but if I were going to go the GSI route; I would have to weld brackets onto the body of the rear struts

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fmFTC9WSHQvgZKuktcMUjDcSl2J5oFhlkQ6cf9IkhXwaSTxWCMwMT6FHa9Wv0bID