tr8todd
tr8todd Dork
7/30/15 6:45 a.m.

Has anybody here ever ditched the Macpherson struts and gone with a double wishbone and threaded body shocks? I would like something better than whats on the front of the TR8 now. There is a single lower control arm, located by the sway bar. The strut passes up into a large strut tower in the engine bay. I would also like to carve away the strut tower to make more room for the Chevy LS engine going in. I already started running the roll cage out passed the towers and plan on mounting them to the front frame rails. This will give me nice solid mounting points for the threaded body shocks. Need to ditch the stock spindle and hubs anyway. Those things are tiny, use tiny bearings, and the stock brakes won't stop this beast. So what say you guys? Is a double wishbone with threaded body shocks passing thru the middle with aluminum spindles the way to go? Is this the best I can do? At the very least I plan on installing a single wishbone to locate the strut and use a different sway bar that mounts to the strut body.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/30/15 6:55 a.m.

Some of the street rodders like putting XJ6 Jag suspension in the front of old vehicles. That might be too wide for your car though...

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
7/30/15 7:09 a.m.

In reply to noddaz: That looks a lot like "the answer's" front subframe.

And I've considered welding this into an Alfa Spider...

edizzle89
edizzle89 HalfDork
7/30/15 7:09 a.m.

crown vic front subframes are a readily available option and could be narrowed to fit your application. and if you are going LS im sure there are motor mounts available somewhere to go from a mod motor to a LS

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
7/30/15 7:51 a.m.

Mustang 2

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
7/30/15 7:56 a.m.

On second thought, I googled TR8 M2 suspension, I found a thread on a triumph site. You had already posted in that, saying no.

Anyway...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oEV8CIAgukUk7MagAUPqFG3GooVKZ6B8FLtggWE8O5P77Te8vnXfKrXwYLzDxxnj