1 2
Rusty_Rabbit84
Rusty_Rabbit84 New Reader
4/2/09 5:07 p.m.

So my alternator went out on "cool runnings" and have the replacement to go in. One problem. The 6mm hex bolt that holds it in has all the corners rounded off. Ive cussed at it, blessed it with my blood, thrown tools at it. Out of ideas. Any thoughts?

DustoffDave
DustoffDave New Reader
4/2/09 5:12 p.m.

vice grips

Rusty_Rabbit84
4/2/09 5:14 p.m.

tried those. Ive blown the 20 minute job into something else. took the timing belt cover off and there is no room to get any type of pliers or vice grips in there. so bummed...

hotrodlarry
hotrodlarry New Reader
4/2/09 5:15 p.m.

Irwin makes bolt extractor sockets that work really well. Not sure if they have one that small.

Rusty_Rabbit84
4/2/09 5:16 p.m.

ya i have a bolt extractor set, but cant fit a power drill in a 2-3 inch spot.

DustoffDave
DustoffDave New Reader
4/2/09 5:19 p.m.

does it pass all the way through where it threads in? If so, you could put 2 nuts on the threaded end sticking out the back and turn it out that way (or at least get it started). If that makes any sense.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
4/2/09 5:20 p.m.
Rusty_Rabbit84 wrote: So my alternator went out on "cool runnings"

ok, color me confused...

Rusty_Rabbit84
4/2/09 5:22 p.m.
DustoffDave wrote: does it pass all the way through where it threads in? If so, you could put 2 nuts on the threaded end sticking out the back and turn it out that way (or at least get it started). If that makes any sense.

Havent tried that yet... will go give it a whurl...

Rusty_Rabbit84
4/2/09 5:23 p.m.
Apexcarver wrote:
Rusty_Rabbit84 wrote: So my alternator went out on "cool runnings"
ok, color me confused...

oh yea... "cool runnings means peace be do da journey!!" everybody comes up with cool names, nobody thought of cool runnings...

Rusty_Rabbit84
4/2/09 5:31 p.m.
Rusty_Rabbit84 wrote:
DustoffDave wrote: does it pass all the way through where it threads in? If so, you could put 2 nuts on the threaded end sticking out the back and turn it out that way (or at least get it started). If that makes any sense.
Havent tried that yet... will go give it a whurl...

well... the threaded end of the bolt is so close to the bracket, its impossible to thread any nut on there.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/2/09 5:35 p.m.

Step 1: Find a cheap socket you don't care about that kinda fits on it.

Step 2: Either A: Weld or B: JB Weld that sucker the bolt. I mean the real JB Weld that will hold a Challenger to the bottom of a patio roof for a millennium.

Step 3: Profit! Oh wait, uh, no, grab ratchet and remove the SOB. A little penetrating lube on the threads from the backside should help as well.

If the above doesn't work then proceed to plan B: engine swap

Rusty_Rabbit84
4/2/09 5:39 p.m.
P71 wrote: If the above doesn't work then proceed to plan B: engine swap

well i do have my eye on a 2.0 swap....

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/2/09 5:52 p.m.

Can you take the other end of the alternator loose and apply leverage to the alternator to break the offending bolt loose? It may simply be that once the tension is released, it will just come right out.

Sometimes a little heat is needed to get things moving. I had a similar problem on my 924, one the bolts holding the crank pulley on stripped. Some heat and a bolt extractor set from Sears and it popped out like butter.

In your case, depending on access to the head of the bolt, you may be better off just cutting the head off and replacing the bolt.

Maybe if you could post a picture or a diagram we can provide something more specific.

Rusty_Rabbit84
4/2/09 6:24 p.m.

This is the only picture i could find which wont help much or at all. I can move the alternator up and can see the blot moving with it, but cant get the hex to continue. The bolt is threaded the whole way through so if i cut the head off, I really couldnt get it out. Think im gonna go grill the autozone employee for fun. Maybe hes got a trick...

wherethefmi
wherethefmi HalfDork
4/2/09 6:28 p.m.

Try a dremel and add some squareness to your round then try a smaller socket, just a thought have never tried that.

RexSeven
RexSeven HalfDork
4/2/09 6:34 p.m.
wherethefmi wrote: Try a dremel and add some squareness to your round then try a smaller socket, just a thought have never tried that.

To build on this suggestion, you could Dremel a slot into the bolt and make it into a slot-head screw.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Reader
4/2/09 6:52 p.m.

This is like the 4th time I've posted info on these. They are a MUST HAVE! Available from many sources they all look like this: Craftsman set

iceracer
iceracer Reader
4/2/09 6:56 p.m.

Have you tried a 6 point socket. 6mm, boy that is really small.

ronbros
ronbros New Reader
4/2/09 8:00 p.m.

good mechanics improvise and never give up, thats not the 1st tight bolt in the history of the auto!!

Rusty_Rabbit84
4/2/09 8:49 p.m.

Finally got it off. Had to dremel a chunk out of the head, take a chisel and hammer the bejesus out of it. Now i have to find a new bolt.

hotrodlarry
hotrodlarry New Reader
4/2/09 9:19 p.m.

be proud... I had to drill out a 6mm bolt out of a piece of aluminum the other day. I was able to save the threads and picked up a couple new bolts from Home Depot.

Sultan
Sultan New Reader
4/2/09 9:23 p.m.

Dang you already tried my best trick, cussing.....

EricM
EricM HalfDork
4/2/09 9:27 p.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote: This is like the 4th time I've posted info on these. They are a MUST HAVE! Available from many sources they all look like this: Craftsman set

Nice!

*Makes a note on his christmas wish list.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/2/09 9:27 p.m.

I've heard that one of these might do the trick:

http://www.endeavortool.com/

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
4/2/09 9:28 p.m.
Sultan wrote: Dang you already tried my best trick, cussing.....

of course you have to curse the car in its native language..

due pissen die schissen!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xzJehEma0WSyZD1LxPfdaV2jOqXonsTZdRr32MOuH29IMbDCBDOuusvhPPVtk6GB