1 2 3 4
Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
1/22/10 9:45 p.m.

Made it to Las Cruces, New Mexico. Car runs great, especially after we got the tires balanced. Stopped at Dessert Valley Auto and found some super cool stuff.

Getting hungry. Heading out to eat. No problems so far. This thing is a real cruiser and is actually very good on the highway. Joe and I were talking about taking it to the next SCCA autocross event. Might not fare as well there.

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Memberand SonDork
1/22/10 9:59 p.m.

Rubbish. That car was made for the track.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
1/22/10 10:11 p.m.
Tim Suddard wrote: Joe and I were talking about taking it to the next SCCA autocross event. Might not fare as well there.

I've seen stranger cars autocrossed (most notably a 1929 dodge brothers)

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
1/22/10 10:30 p.m.
Tim Suddard wrote: This thing is a real cruiser and is actually very good on the highway.

That's what they were designed to do, right? Sample Ike's new "Interstate" system and show the Russkies what civilization should look like?

Ignore me, I'm just jealous. It's been years since I made a trip like that.

lewbud
lewbud New Reader
1/22/10 11:09 p.m.

Ummm, pics please? I think this would make a most excellent article, three guys in an Edsel go cross country-heck it'd make a good movie.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
1/22/10 11:56 p.m.

The Stock Show is going on in downtown Fort Worth. A spectacle that is not to be missed. I'm just saying . . .

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
1/24/10 9:17 a.m.

We made it to Austin with no problems. Took a couple of quarts of oil and a quart of trany fluid. This thing cruises well at an indicated 80 mph. Our Garmin tells us we are really going 75. Getting 15 mpg. Fortunately, the Edsel is equipped with couches front and rear, so is very comfortable. Good thing I brought my slippers. Of course there are no seat belts. Good thing there is lots of steel and chrome to break our fall. had dinner at Stubbs Barbecue in Austin last night and saw the Ugly Beats play. What a great show! Tonight we hope to get to New Orleans. I'll ask one of the guys to post pics, as I sent some.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/24/10 11:02 a.m.

One suggestion, though you guys are probably smart enough to know this: Don't trust a 50 year old fuel gauge, especially at the low end. I wouldn't pass a gas station with anything below an indicated half full tank.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/24/10 11:39 a.m.

road trips are the greatest thing ever! Went from Detroit to SanFransico in 34 hrs....2 drivers, no stopping until the gas gauge says so.

sachilles
sachilles HalfDork
1/24/10 12:16 p.m.

I'm a big fan of road trips. Done several with my wife. It's worth stopping at a book store to pick up a road trip guide. They have all those little tourist trap places listed by route. I'm sitting in my cube on a Sunday afternoon, and I'm very jealous of even the most boring part of your trip. Fingers crossed that the Edsel has no difficulties other than radio reception the trip.

svo5oh
svo5oh
1/24/10 3:03 p.m.

Hello from Sunny Southern California! Glad to hear you are cruising along . Have you been tempted to remove the seat covers and enjoy the fabric interior as Edsel intended? I know I have several times. I say go for it. Have a safe trip and enjoy the ride!

Former Villager owner

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Marketing / Club Coordinator
1/24/10 8:36 p.m.

Updates from the road-

Photobucket

Photobucket

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
1/24/10 8:37 p.m.

damn thats hot....classic wagons rule.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog HalfDork
1/24/10 8:50 p.m.

As much as I love me some whitewalls, those look way too dorky. Not that I expect it to keep stock wheels and ride height once you get it home Way cool ride ya go there.

JThw8-ALL wagons rule!

wbjones
wbjones HalfDork
1/24/10 9:10 p.m.

wide whitys the only way to go with a classic wagon

Vigo
Vigo Reader
1/24/10 9:50 p.m.

Car looks fantastic

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/24/10 10:08 p.m.

outstanding!

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
1/25/10 1:31 a.m.
Tom Heath wrote: Updates from the road- Photobucket

Y'all never told us that the thing was so pretty. Nice find!

And be careful on the home stretch, the weather's getting pretty weird back here in the East.

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
1/25/10 8:51 a.m.

Coolness.

Probably the only exterior upgrade that I would make would be a set of K-H wires, or maybe paint the rims the same red as the top.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
1/25/10 9:00 a.m.

Made it to New Orleans. Car is still running hard, but I think we are wearing it down some. Should make it home tonight.

And whatever made you think it has a working gas gauge? You can go exactly 278 miles in an Edsel, before you run out of gas. Ask me how I know this?

As for rolling stock... everything looks better on Torque-Thrusts, but we will see.

You should have been on Bourbon street last night, just as the Saints won the NFC championship game to go to the Superbowl for the first time ever. What a night!

Photobucket

sachilles
sachilles HalfDork
1/25/10 9:07 a.m.

...and you're not hung over?

MiatarPowar
MiatarPowar HalfDork
1/25/10 9:17 a.m.

Those wide whites are GREAT on the car. Beautiful new ride, Tim.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
1/25/10 10:22 a.m.
Tim Suddard wrote: As for rolling stock... everything looks better on Torque-Thrusts, but we will see.

Voted up because I don't think I'll hear a more true statement than this today.

It's like fact...

Clem

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA HalfDork
1/25/10 12:21 p.m.
Tom Heath wrote: Updates from the road- Photobucket

I can't believe the diameter of that steering wheel. If it was a hoop, you could jump through it.

Between winning the NFC Championship, the Super Bowl, and Mardi Gras, New Orleans is in for one big long hangover.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
1/25/10 3:16 p.m.

Well, Tim just called: the generator light's come on, so it doesn't look like he'll make it home without a repair, since they'll have a few hours of after-dark driving today.

The good news, however, is that they're about an hour west of good buddy J.K. Jackson's shop in Tallahassee, so provided they can make it there, help is at hand. They may even attempt a quick alternator conversion. (Thanks, J.K., for being a friend in need--again!)

Margie

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0hpFVupDM87y0D1TZLNLYmNmrXbwtrYACyrkiOkKDzPubEIZCNknFcFPt3GPLfwu