DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT HalfDork
11/17/16 8:10 p.m.

Saw this at a dealership in Ohio. I never knew Subaru did a WRX version of the Baja. I assumed it was one of the tech's swap projects. Nope, the dealership services four of them.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
11/17/16 8:15 p.m.

Ultra, ultra rare.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus Dork
11/17/16 9:05 p.m.

My cousin had a manual one, I know he had to travel a few states away to get it. It was a cool car, he scared the crap out of me on a dirt road with it. Ended up wrecking it I believe

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
11/17/16 10:07 p.m.

They're not THAT rare. They're rare with a 5spd. I've driven a turbo/auto and liked it with the caveat that it needed a manual boost controller or a tune to feel 'right' to me.

Aside from front end styling they're right up my weird little alley.

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
11/17/16 11:14 p.m.

Too weird to live, too rare to die. Best definition on a modern baja.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
11/18/16 5:42 a.m.
tr8todd
tr8todd Dork
11/18/16 5:46 a.m.

Thats pretty cool. Went straight to CL to see if there were any for sale and there was...all automatics thou. There are a ton of Bajas around here, but they are all owned by a certain demographic of females that decorate the back of them with peace signs, rainbow, and coexist stickers. Seems to be the unofficial vehicle the farther you get down Cape Cod. One of my customers and her boyfriend have two of the coolest Subarus on the planet. One is a WRX and the other is a clapped out Forester. Both have mudder tires on Team Dynamic rally wheels, roof racks, brush bars, and lots of battle scars. The forester has no windows behind the driver and a plastic separation screen behind the driver to keep some heat in the car. Even thou they now live in Mass, both sport Nevada plates. They both look and sound like something from a Mad Max film.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
11/18/16 5:59 a.m.

In reply to tr8todd:

Don't be afraid to post a few pictures!

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
11/18/16 6:11 a.m.

Yeah, i guess you could say the Mad Max stereotypes are the polar opposite of peace and coexistence stereotypes since everyone fears for their life and tries to kill each other.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/18/16 6:39 a.m.

There are several around up here. I look at as a cool second car.

84FSP
84FSP Dork
11/18/16 4:25 p.m.

I thought they also made a version with sti power?

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/18/16 4:31 p.m.

I wish that someone would do a long travel version of those like the Paco Miata. It's going to be trickier to get right with strut suspension though.

emsalex
emsalex New Reader
11/18/16 4:55 p.m.

That's not the factory scoop. And it looks like it has a Bed cover with a spoiler on it?

I have a non turbo 5speed. Most of my time in it is spent wishing it was a truck or wishing it was a wagon.

crankwalk
crankwalk Dork
11/18/16 7:16 p.m.
emsalex wrote: That's not the factory scoop. And it looks like it has a Bed cover with a spoiler on it? I have a non turbo 5speed. Most of my time in it is spent wishing it was a truck or wishing it was a wagon.

Yep, there are several around me and I actually like the scoop add-on. They dont make good trucks or wagons but they are goofy and I like goofy.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
11/18/16 7:29 p.m.

Didn't those only come automatic?

NickD
NickD Dork
11/19/16 8:21 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: Didn't those only come automatic?

Nope, you could get manuals with the N/A and turbo motors but they aren't particularly common

Mmmmm, I want one of these.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
11/19/16 8:26 a.m.

In reply to NickD:

That's cool. I thought I read something years ago that said these only came automatic. I have never seen one with a manual, so I assumed they didn't have that option.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
11/19/16 8:59 a.m.

From what i remember from the research i did around the time i almost bought one (seller raised price $4k at last minute, this was years ago), the turbo ones are basically an STI motor with a smaller turbo and intercooler.

Nessumsar
Nessumsar New Reader
11/23/16 1:42 p.m.

In reply to Vigo:

Yep. Baja and Forester XT's have the 2.5l STI engine with the smaller 2.0l WRX turbo; fuel system and engine are all STI, so they are a turbo swap and downpipe away from ~300whp.

A downpipe and tune really wake the stock system up quite a bit (~240whp) and make the car a rocket ship from 0-40mph on an Auto car.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
11/23/16 1:57 p.m.

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/5852258695.html

186,000 miles and the STILL want $9500??! I think it belongs over in delusional CL finds.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
11/23/16 3:06 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad:

Like all the jokers that think their e46 manual wagons are worth $15k regardless of mileage and condition ... good luck finding a buyer buddy!

car39
car39 HalfDork
11/23/16 3:15 p.m.

Baja's were tough to sell when new, and like gold used. They completely missed the marketing on it, it was supposed to be sold to younger people, instead it became the official car of the 60+ age group.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EcbFRuCxy5GeWQEqdrSkj0x6vrrtml4n5j85qqu30ktg81Z45bhbHeJj4lexUkD2