accordionfolder
accordionfolder New Reader
7/8/12 5:38 p.m.

Hello all,

I'm just curious, I have a 2012 Subaru Forester. The Subaru website just says "Towing capacity: 2400lbs." A bit of googling seems to indicate that is the number WITH a trailer brake setup.

Am I going to kill myself towing a 1974 Super Beetle with a tow bar through relatively flat terrain? The Forester is a 5spd, so no automatic trans shinanigans.

Jaynen
Jaynen Reader
7/8/12 5:59 p.m.

My opinion = I don't think so. If 2400lbs is with trailer brakes its not a load limitation just a safety one. Just be careful with your braking and brake sooner. A beetle can't weight much at all. If you put 5 people in the car and luggage you might be close to the same ;p

emodspitfire
emodspitfire Reader
7/8/12 7:00 p.m.

Have you cross-checked the owners manual? (Just because)

That towing capacity sounds high, for that car.

How far are you towing? Can you minimize traffic interactions by using Interstate or 4 lane hiways?

I agree with Jaynen and (most) of his qualifications..

Rog

Hocrest
Hocrest HalfDork
7/8/12 7:02 p.m.

You could put an "assistant" in the Beetle to help with braking...

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
7/8/12 7:15 p.m.

I wouldnt think twice before towing that. You wont have any problems, with proper caution.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf SuperDork
7/8/12 7:39 p.m.

http://www.adventurerv.net/brake-buddy-camper-towing-braking-system-p-109.html

not cheap but they work well bet you can find a used one cheap on line.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/8/12 7:56 p.m.

I think that's legit. I know our 2012 outback is 2700. But knew the forester was lower. I just can't really imagine the glacial pace the car would accelerate at towing max weight.. ours is a 6 speed manual and I imagine it would live in fourth.

MCarp22
MCarp22 HalfDork
7/8/12 7:59 p.m.

The same Subaru Forester in the UK is rated to tow 2000kg (4400lbs) with trailer brakes and the 2.0 engine.

EvanR
EvanR Reader
7/8/12 8:06 p.m.
MCarp22 wrote: The same Subaru Forester in the UK is rated to tow 2000kg (4400lbs) with trailer brakes and the 2.0 engine.

What he said. Subaru North America seems to be run by lawyers who are scared of getting sued.

If you want to know the real tow ratings of non-US cars, check the manufacturers' UK or Australian web sites.

accordionfolder
7/8/12 9:43 p.m.

I've also heard that (that the UK ratings are much higher that is). It has a 2.5L 174lb/tq 170hp motor with the torque coming in reasonably low, so I'm not too worried about getting it moving so much as getting it stopped

The route should be highway only. I suppose I could stick my girlfriend in as a dedicator braker, but then I don't think I'd have a girlfriend anymore..... (it was 107* yesterday....)

I actually haven't narrowed it down yet, but have a few "Please tow this away" super beetles on my radar. So if anyone notices any screaming deals close to Louisville, KY feel free to ping me!

accordionfolder
7/8/12 9:56 p.m.

And I just checked out the UK site. Man, what's with their 2.0L having nearly 200 ft/lb torque?? I would rather have more torque than hp....

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/8/12 10:23 p.m.

It's towing capacity will be unlimited if you put both of them inside Fastasleep's mini-mall sized camper and let him tow them!

MCarp22
MCarp22 HalfDork
7/9/12 12:54 p.m.
accordionfolder wrote: And I just checked out the UK site. Man, what's with their 2.0L having nearly 200 ft/lb torque?? I would rather have more torque than hp....

I think you're reading n/m as ft/lbs, they only have about 148 ft/lbs.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lacgohGq7VbhQBAttvCyEeDDJSF7OY54cWvrvHZAXr0yB5JoSmaYb4FFl8GVA3SS