Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/27/15 12:13 p.m.

...and replacement parts in general.

DD#1's 2002 Impreza needs some 100k refreshing. I'm planning on replacing both front axles and the timing belt / idlers / waterpump. Anything else I should be sure to do?

Shopping Rock Auto now and I could use some suggestions on good manufacturers to seek (or avoid):

AXLES: Sur-Track, APWI, or Empire? Price range is $40 - $50.

WATER PUMP: OEM? I always worry about aftermarket water pumps because they're buried down in there so far. Then again, they have several all-inclusive kits that come with belt, all the idlers, and the water pump for a reasonable price. So:

TIMING BELT KIT: Dayco, Beck/Arnley, or Aisin? Price range $195 - $217 with water pump and seals.

Thanks.

ouchx100
ouchx100 Reader
3/27/15 11:23 p.m.

For the timing belt on my 06 wrx I used the gates kit from rallysportdirect with the water pump. Everything appears good almost a year later. My front axels are what ever the part stores give you. 4 years and many rally crosses old.

Travis_K
Travis_K UberDork
3/28/15 1:01 a.m.

OEM timing belt stuff is $$$$$$$, I would say one of the aftermarket ones like gates would be fine. You are going to need to spend way more than $50 each on axles, raxles is supposed to be a good place to get them.

jstand
jstand Reader
3/28/15 7:16 a.m.

If you replace the thermostat, go with oem.

The my experience was that the aftermarket ones would cycle too quickly and run warm on the highway at certain speeds.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/28/15 12:39 p.m.

Interesting split decision on the axles.

Thanks for the input, guys!

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi Reader
3/28/15 1:46 p.m.

Another vote for a Gates kit from Rock - the one with the belt, idlers, water pump included.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
3/28/15 1:54 p.m.

Is there something wrong with the current axles? Or are they just known to blow the boots off soon? If they're still tight I'd be inclined to rebuild them myself instead of buying a $50 reman of questionable quality.

Ojala
Ojala GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/28/15 6:42 p.m.

I usually go gates for the timing belt kit. Personally I prefer the oem/oes water pump because the casting and impeller are of noticeably better quality. I prefer to reboot axles, but the few times I needed a new axle I went oem.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/29/15 12:03 p.m.

One of the axles has been rattling on left turns for a couple months. If I'm going to do one, I'll do both and have it over with.

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Reader
3/29/15 1:05 p.m.

In reply to Duke:

I've had good luck with Fred Beans Subaru in the past.

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/subaru-products/

Don't order online, call and talk them. I've had them quote my lists of parts, like a job quote. Much less expensive that way. Their service is very good, and they also sell a lot of aftermarket parts. I also suggest sticking with OEM axles, most aftermarket are of lower quality. I'd rather buy a junkyard OEM axle than a parts store axle. The was a good write up in GRM a while back detailing the difficulty in rebuilding a CV joint, and why most rebuilds are not very good.

Ojala
Ojala GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/29/15 4:03 p.m.

In reply to Duke:

A couple months? Get after it brother!

HFmaxi
HFmaxi New Reader
3/31/15 7:44 a.m.

for axles the napa rebuilds are very good: http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/CV-Driveshaft-Left-Front-Remfd/_/R-NMD953170_0286810962

and for the timing belt kit and pump I'll +1 the gates kit.

stop over and you can borrow my axle pin tool.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/31/15 8:07 a.m.

Ahhh, cool, thanks! Nice to see you here.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Reader
4/1/15 10:26 a.m.

Yeah, another +1 for gates. My opinion may be skewed because I'm dealing with an SVX, but parts cost has generally been the same from Subaru or from places like RockAuto. I get most of my parts from Liberty Auto City Subaru up near Chicago, and they've been great for me.

series8217
series8217 Reader
4/1/15 10:43 a.m.

> One of the axles has been rattling on left turns for a couple months.

After seeing my friend's '01 Outback become a disabled vehicle 80 miles from the nearest town and due to a front CV coming apart, I'd be parking the car until next service before the axle noise has been going on for "a couple months".

Other things to replace preventatively at this point in time:

• Inner tie rod boots
  • Front wheel bearings (use OE only, and make sure you use a new axle nut and stake it properly)
  • Front lower control arm bushings
  • Head gaskets if it's an EJ25 (sorry)

Also check the rear diff bushings and replace if any sign of wear or cracking.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3gAM4oFu56G8F6cbVpWAwn671U2PJuvU4QqqXIf95DGiSFWizeDyq3dS63NQr1rC