carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
6/3/13 8:35 p.m.

Are the Subaru suspensions as plug & play, mix & match as the engines & transmissions?

While I have one I haven't looked, and besides the wife is out galavanting around in it so I can't look, but I'm presuming it's struts all the way around?

ValuePack
ValuePack SuperDork
6/3/13 8:42 p.m.

Typically, yes. Tell us what year and model and we'll tell you what fits.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
6/3/13 8:52 p.m.

Kewl. Let me find out and I'll tell you.

A mate just had a shunt on the front passenger side. I told him I thought there was a lot of interchangeability amongst the years & models.

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
6/3/13 8:54 p.m.

up to 07, mostly yes. The 08+ rear suspension is totally different, and the 08+ front some things will work, and others will not. Stick to the GD chassis for GD interchangability, for the most part.

The_Jed
The_Jed SuperDork
6/3/13 9:06 p.m.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/making-gd-suspension-bits-fit-a-gc-actually-its-a-gm-since-its-a-coupe/41130/page1/

The_Jed
The_Jed SuperDork
6/3/13 9:09 p.m.

Still driving the Scoob on the same suspension to this day.

When or if I ever start a build thread on the Scoob I'll pull everything out and take some detailed pics.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/3/13 9:29 p.m.

I found that Koni Yellow inserts for GD will fit GC strut housings just fine, at least for the rears. I've come to think of GDs as just wide 1st-gen Legacies, which are long GCs...

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
6/3/13 10:54 p.m.

Well GD, they got so many versions I see.

His is newer, an '10 I believe. Does that make it a GD'd GD or a GC?

Were there any GBs?

All 4 corners are struts right?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/3/13 11:07 p.m.

'10 are struts in front and Subarubified Focus rear what with the multi link things that allow for more interior space than you can get with struts.

Technically only 2-door (I think) '93-01 are GC, the 4 door is GF and the wagon is GM or somesuch, and the GD has different designation for the wagon too, but everyone just calls them GC and GD for the same reason that everyone calls AE86s AE86s and not AE86/AE85... even anal-retentive weenies like me don't care, so it can't be that important...

Ojala
Ojala GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/4/13 8:29 a.m.

In reply to carguy123:

Ha! No GBs.

Does he have an outback or impreza? Either way the differences come down to mounting holes and brake line brackets.

Most legacy/outback and imprezas are strut except for the multilink rear in the very latest generation of subarus.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
6/4/13 8:52 a.m.

Legacy. We're getting together for lunch.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OSZGf8cFfGz1RmTKs9by6pOpk8JC4YMZkRDtkbMjVpLSgB0A14Qlwdjt4G97adne